Slow Cooker Low-Sugar Barbecued Chicken Lettuce Cups
Slow Cooker Low-Sugar Barbecued Chicken Lettuce Cups are a delicious option for a light lunch, dinner, or serve them for healthier game-day food! These low-sugar barbecued chicken lettuce cups can be low-carb, and they’re gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-glycemic. Use Lettuce Wraps to see more recipes like this one!
I do have a wonderful recipe for Slow Cooker Sriracha-Pineapple Barbecued Chicken on the blog, but I came up with this recipe when I had some of my favorite kids staying at my house and I wanted a barbecued chicken recipe that was less spicy and more kid-friendly.
Slow Cooker Low-Sugar Barbecued Chicken Lettuce Cups have the same flavorful sauce as my Slow Cooker Pulled Pork (and you can certainly make these lettuce wraps with pulled pork if you prefer.) I did notice that the chicken cooks much faster, and soaks up the sauce a bit more than the pork. I loved this inside a lettuce wrap, and when the kids were here we used it to make some Quesadillas, which my nephew Mitch gobbled up for lunch one day.
And if you’re a lettuce wraps fan like I am, check out some of my other recipes for wraps in this collection of Delicious Low-Carb and Keto Wraps with Lettuce, Collards and Cabbage!
I used four boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 2 1/2 pounds in weight after trimming. Cut each one down the middle lengthwise so it’s easier to pull apart. Mix together the low-sugar ketchup, tomato paste, sweetener of your choice, brown sugar (or more sweetener), apple cider vinegar, mustard, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), Worcestershire Sauce (affiliate link), and Liquid Smoke (affiliate link) to make the barbecue sauce.
Spray the slow cooker with olive oil or nonstick spray. Put chicken in a single layer as much as you can and cover with the sauce. Cook on high for 1 hour and then on low for 2-3 hours more. Put the chicken on a cutting board and let it cool while you start the sauce simmering, and when it’s cool enough to handle use two forks to shred the chicken apart.
Put the sauce in a large frying pan and simmer over medium heat until the sauce is reduced by half, about 6-8 minutes. While the sauce simmers make Easy Guacamole and slice up some green onions for garnish. When the sauce is reduced by half, turn off heat, add the shredded chicken, and mix the shredded chicken with the sauce (and heat for a minute or two if needed.)
You can use any lettuce you prefer, but I did like the crunch of the iceberg lettuce with this. Cut the core out of a head of lettuce. I used two pieces of lettuce for each one so there would be a generous amount of lettuce to wrap around the saucy chicken. I added a generous dollop of guacamole to each lettuce wrap and finished with a sprinkle of green onions.
More Dinners from the Slow Cooker:
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Low-Sugar Barbecue Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches ~ Taste and Tell
Slow Cooker Sriracha-Pineapple Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
More Tasty Recipes for Lettuce Wraps:
The BEST Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Lettuce Wraps ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
15+ Low-Carb and Keto Wraps with Lettuce, Collards, and Cabbage ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The BEST Instant Pot Lettuce Wraps ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Slow Cooker Low-Sugar Barbecued Chicken Lettuce Cups
These low-sugar barbecued chicken lettuce cups are a delicious option for a light lunch, dinner, or game-day food!
Barbequed Chicken Ingredients:
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 1/2 pounds total weight)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sugar ketchup (check the label and get the lowest-sugar ketchup you can find if you don’t want one with artificial sweetener)
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sweetener of your choice
- 2 T brown sugar (or use more sweetener if you’re making this for low-carb eating)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup mustard (plain yellow mustard, not anything fancy)
- 2 tsp. green Tabasco sauce (optional; this was not spicy)
- 1 1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke (optional, but recommended)
Lettuce Wrap Ingredients:
- 2 large heads Iceberg lettuce (or other lettuce of your choice)
- 2 avocados
- 1 T fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. chile powder
- 1/2 tsp. Vege-Sal (or slightly less regular salt)
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- Trim visible fat and any membranes from chicken breasts, then cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise.
- Stir together the low-sugar ketchup, tomato paste, sweetener of your choice, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, mustard, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), Worcestershire Sauce (affiliate link), and Liquid Smoke (affiliate link) to make the barbecue sauce.
- Spray the slow cooker with olive oil or nonstick spray and layer the chicken in a single layer as much as possible.
- Pour over the sauce, so all the chicken is covered.
- Cook on high for one hour; then turn to low and cook 2-3 hours more. (Or just cook a little longer on low if you’re not going to be home to switch the slow cooker setting.)
- When the chicken is done, remove it to a cutting board to cool enough to handle.
- Put the sauce in a large frying pan and simmer over medium heat until it’s reduced by half, about 6-8 minutes.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken apart.
- When the sauce is reduced by half, put the chicken in the frying pan and stir to coat with sauce.
- You can heat the chicken in the pan for a few minutes if needed.
- To make lettuce wraps, combine the avocado, lime juice, chile powder and Vege-Sal (affiliate link) (or salt) to make the Easy Guacamole, and slice the green onions.
- Cut out the core of the lettuce with a sharp knife; then peel off two lettuce leaves together to make a “cup” to hold the barbecued chicken.
- Fill each lettuce “cup” with desired amount of the chicken mixture, top with guacamole and sliced green onions, and devour!
- If this makes more than you’ll eat at one time I would refrigerate the chicken and lettuce cups separately, but keep one avocado whole to mash up right before you eat the leftovers.
- The barbequed chicken can also be used for barbecued chicken sandwiches or Quesadillas.
- You can make the lettuce wraps with Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Low-Sugar Barbecue Sauce if you prefer.
I used my Crock-Pot 3-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe. It freezes well, so if you have a 6 quart slow cooker you might want to double the recipe and make some for the freezer.
I used Stevia Granulated Sweetener (affiliate link) for this recipe, but use any sweetener you prefer.
This recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Low-Sugar Barbecue Sauce and Slow Cooker Sriracha-Pineapple Barbecue Chicken.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you’re making Slow Cooker Low-Sugar Barbecued Chicken Lettuce Cups for a low-carb diet or for the South Beach Diet, it’s important to use the low-sugar ketchup and use all sweetener (no brown sugar). The ketchup will have some sugar even if you use the low-sugar version, but this is still pretty low in carbs.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.