Asparagus Frittata with Fresh Mozzarella
We absolutely loved this low-carb Asparagus Frittata with Fresh Mozzarella, and this recipe is a delicious way to enjoy fresh asparagus!
Don’t you hate it when you find a favorite product at Costco and then they stop carrying it? Years ago I found fresh mozzarella “pearls” at Costco and used them in a frittata with Mozzarella and Parmesan. But when I couldn’t find those mozzarella pearls any more I decided this Asparagus Frittata with Fresh Mozzarella better get an update with an ingredient that was still available so people would still want to make it! We just used chopped fresh mozzarella pieces this time and it was still so, so tasty.
It’s asparagus season, and although I’ve already shared my favorite Low-Carb and Keto Asparagus Recipes, this would also be a lovely idea for brunch for a special occasion. And don’t be intimidated by the word frittata, because Asparagus and Fresh Mozzarella Frittata is really easy to make for an impressive breakfast! Although I do want to mention that we had high hopes of the spears of asparagus showing through the egg in the finished dish, but sadly the eggs puffed up and almost completely covered the asparagus. No problem though, it was quickly devoured and no one seemed to care about that at all!
What is Fresh Mozzarella?
There are quite a few varieties of Mozzarella cheese, and the creamy fresh Mozzarella used in this recipe is different from the grated Mozzarella that most people are familiar with. Fresh Mozzarella is soft, creamy, and mild in flavor, and it’s sold packed in water or sealed in plastic and should be eaten within a few days. Can you make this with regular grated Mozzarella? Of course! But the creamy fresh mozzarella really was delicious here with the asparagus.
Steps for Making Asparagus Frittata with Fresh Mozzarella:
(See complete recipe below, including nutritional information.)
- Wash and dry asparagus tips, and cut to fit your pan in a single layer.
- Heat olive oil in heavy frying pan, then add the asparagus and cook at high heat about 2-3 minutes.
- When asparagus is barely starting to brown on one side, turn and cook on the other side.
- While asparagus cooks, cut fresh Mozzarella into cubes.
- Remove asparagus to a dish.
- Beat eggs with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) or other seasoning mix until eggs are well-beaten.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and heat on low. Pour eggs into pan, let cook for a couple minutes.
- Then lay the asparagus spears in a single layer in the egg mixture. Sprinkle the mozzarella pieces around the asparagus.
- Then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. (If you’re planning to brown the top of the frittata under the broiler turn the broiler on now.)
- Cover pan and cook on low heat about 10-12 minutes.
- When edges are set but the center is still not completely set, put pan under the broiler and brown the top for 3-4 minutes. (I have to turn the pan at least once to get it browned evenly in my broiler.)
- If you’re not browning under the broiler, just cook covered until the whole frittata is firm, about 14 minutes.
- Sprinkle Asparagus and Fresh Mozzarella Frittata with chives or chopped green onions and serve hot.
Make it a Meal:
If you’re serving this for brunch, Low-Carb High-Fiber Savory Muffins would be delicious on the side.
More Recipes with Eggs and Asparagus:
Breakfast Casserole with Asparagus, Mushrooms, and Goat Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Crustless Asparagus Cheese Pie ~ Saving Room for Dessert
Baked Eggs and Asparagus with Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Asparagus Tomato Frittata ~ Big Bear’s Wife
Crustless Breakfast Tarts with Asparagus and Goat Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Asparagus and Feta Cheese Crustless Quiche ~ Cookin’ Canuck
If you don't have Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), just use another all-purpose seasoning blend that's good with eggs. If you're lucky enough to have fresh chives, they would be lovely as a garnish for this dish. This recipe created by Kalyn. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 555mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g
If you don't have Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), just use another all-purpose seasoning blend that's good with eggs. If you're lucky enough to have fresh chives, they would be lovely as a garnish for this dish.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Asparagus and Fresh Mozzarella Frittata with Parmesan is a great low-carb breakfast or brunch dish that’s also suitable for any phase of the South Beach Diet or any other low-glycemic eating plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Asparagus Recipes to find more ideas for fresh asparagus. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.