Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns 18 (and a humble ask for a few simple favors)
I can hardly believe the simple little cooking blog I started on a whim in 2005 has been around for 18 years! It’s been a wonderful ride for the most part, but if you’re a fan who’d like to help me celebrate, there are a few easy things you could do that would really help this site!
I say it every year, but truly I never imagined how my life would change when I started this blog, and it’s been a blessing to me in so many ways. I’ve met smart amazing people, enjoyed keeping my brain active in retirement, and been gratified by the kind responses from the many people who have told me how much they enjoy the recipes. And there is absolutely no doubt that blogging has been the best retirement job ever!
Blogging in 2023
But I also want to be honest. Blogging in 2023 is definitely a struggle. It’s become a highly competitive industry, search engines demand that recipes be formatted in a specific way, social media is a constant challenge to keep up with, and the technology is constantly changing. And the income keeps going down while the expenses of blogging keep going up. So despite the generous feedback I get from people daily and my sense of satisfaction in what I’ve created, I’m constantly wondering how long I can continue.
How Can you Help?
I know without a doubt that many, many people love this site and would be happy for a chance to help it continue to succeed if they only knew what to do! So Here’s a short list of birthday favors I’d so greatly appreciate.
- When you search for recipes on Google, target Kalyn’s Kitchen.
- Leave star ratings on the recipes you enjoy.
- Leave comments (especially on Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok)
- Consider subscribing to my site via e-mail.
More about how to do those things:
- If you’re searching for a recipe on Google, add “Kalyn’s Kitchen” to the end of your search terms. If I have a recipe like the one you’re looking for, it will come up first. And I don’t have a recipe like that, you’ll still get other search results.
- Leave star ratings on the recipes you enjoy. Google search results display those ratings and also how many star ratings a recipe has, so they’re so important! The star ratings are found in the complete recipe part of the post (use the JUMP TO RECIPE button at the top to get there quickly.) Under the small photo and the word PRINT is a row of five stars, with five being the best. To rate a recipe you don’t have to log-in or leave a comment, just click the stars.
- You can follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube, and on all those platforms, comments are what drives the algorithm and determines how many people are shown a recipe post. I can share the best recipe in the world on Facebook but if no one comments, the Facebook algorithm thinks no one wants to see the recipe. (And the opposite is also true, the more people comment, the more people the recipe gets shown to.) Even a comment every now and then is so helpful!
- And consider following my site on e-mail; that’s the easiest way to not miss new recipes. If you subscribe by e-mail you get the first few paragraphs sent to your inbox every time there’s a new or updated post. If the recipe appeals to you, click through and read it and if not simply ignore it. The e-mails do have a few ads that pay the cost of the service, but there is an unsubscribe button at the bottom left in every e-mail if you decide they’re not for you.
Thanks for the Support!
If you’ve read this birthday post clear to the end, please know how much I appreciate the support. One of the things I’ve enjoyed most about blogging is the many people I’ve met, both in person and virtually, and your kind comments through the years have truly meant the world to me.
Birthday Posts Through the Years:
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns One
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Two
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Three
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Four
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Five
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Six
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Seven
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Eight
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Nine
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Ten
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Eleven
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Twelve
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Thirteen
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Fourteen
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Fifteen
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Sixteen
- Kalyn’s Kitchen Turns Seventeen