Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Chicken with Green Chiles and Cheese (Video)
Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Chicken with Green Chiles and Cheese took a couple of tries to perfect, but this chicken with green chiles and cheese is a winner!
Watch the video to see if you might like to make
Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Chicken with Green Chiles and Cheese!
Sometimes a recipe idea pops into my head and I become obsessed with trying it, even when the recipe might not be that unique or unusual. That’s what happened with this Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Chicken with Green Chiles and Cheese, and although you might have seen recipes with ingredients to this one, it was the idea of layering some roasted mild green chiles with the chicken that got me excited about this. In some ways this is an easier version of the Green Chile and Chicken Mock Enchilada Casserole that’s been so popular on the blog, but minus the creamy sauce and this one is a lot easier to put together.
I was hoping to make it even easier than it ended up being, but when I tested the original idea with Jake and Kara, we soon learned that when we cut up the raw chicken, layered it with the green chiles, added sauce and cheese, and baked it, the chicken released far too much water to make it appealing. So later when I worked on it again by myself I came up with the idea of briefly cooking the whole chicken breasts and slicing them before they went into the casserole dish with the other ingredients. The trick here is to barely cook the chicken, just enough to evaporate some of the water. Please pay attention to the short time I’m recommending or your chicken might be overdone by the time it’s cooked in the oven.
But if you follow my tips (and if you like chicken, green chiles, and cheese), this just might become one of your favorites for a tasty quick dinner! I’ve been eating the leftovers for a few days now, and thoroughly enjoying them every time I have some!
Where can I find big cans of whole green chiles?
Finding the big cans of whole roasted green chiles might be the hardest thing about making this dish. But if you have a latin or Mexican market near you, that’s the best place to get a good price on the big cans of whole green chiles that I love to use in Mexican food recipes. If that’s not an option you can get whole green chiles in a can at Amazon.com. (affiliate link)
How to Make Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Chicken with Green Chiles and Cheese:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Trim the chicken breasts to remove any undesirable parts.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan; I used my favorite Green Pan 12 Inch Frying Pan (affiliate link).
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and a few pinches of Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning and cook exactly three minutes on each side; then remove to a cutting board.
- While chicken browns, drain the whole roasted green peppers in the sink, then split each pepper in half, remove seeds and spread out on paper towels to drain.
- Put another paper towel over the peppers and press down to remove water.
- I tried a couple of variations of green chile sauce, and now that Ortega Mild Green Taco Sauce is no longer available I’d use Herdez Salsa Verde (affiliate link) for this recipe. (Use any sauce you prefer, but sauces that are too watery won’t work well for this recipe unless they are simmered to reduce the sauce.)
- Cut each chicken breast into three or four lengthwise pieces.
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C and spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the green chile taco sauce in the bottom. Lay chicken strips in the dish.
- Cover with the strips of roasted green chiles.
- Spread the rest of the taco sauce over the chicken/chile strips and cover with grated cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or just until cheese is completely melted. (Don’t leave it long enough to brown the cheese or the chicken will be over-done.
- You can turn on the broiler and brown it for 1-2 minutes if you’d like.
Serve hot, with things like sour cream, salsa, chopped avocado, or Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) to add at the table if desired. And if you really like Mexican food, this recipe was featured in 10 Low-Carb Mexican Food Favorites You’ll Make Over and Over!
I always use Kalyn's Taco Seasoning but use any taco seasoning mix that doesn't have sugar. I compared the Green Chile Taco Sauce options in my store and Ortega Mild Green Taco Sauce was definitely the lowest in sugar. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 741mgCarbohydrates: 4.5gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 34g
I always use Kalyn's Taco Seasoning but use any taco seasoning mix that doesn't have sugar. I compared the Green Chile Taco Sauce options in my store and Ortega Mild Green Taco Sauce was definitely the lowest in sugar.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Chicken with Green Chiles and Cheese recipe should be good for any low-carb, Keto, or low-glycemic diet plan if you choose a green chile sauce that’s low in sugar. If you’re making this for the South Beach Diet you’ll need to also use low-fat cheese; other low-carb diets will prefer full-fat cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.