Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast
This Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast is a great breakfast option when you’re tired of eggs, and this tasty breakfast is also Keto, low-glycemic, and gluten-free (with gluten-free sausage.) Use the Recipes-by-Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
For quite a few years now one of my most common recipe requests has been for a Low-Carb or South Beach Diet Phase One breakfast that doesn’t include eggs. And I absolutely get it; even though I like eggs I sometimes get tired of them myself.
But I’ve had a hard time coming up with ideas for tasty low-carb and Phase One breakfasts without eggs. (Obviously, so does everyone else, that’s why people keep asking me for them!) Then a few years ago the idea for Low-Carb No Egg Breakfast Bake with Turkey Breakfast Sausage and Peppers popped into my head one day, and that recipe has been a hit.
And definitely that breakfast recipe is the one that inspired this Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast. This time we combined nicely-browned mushrooms and links of turkey (or pork) breakfast sausage for a skillet breakfast that’s covered with cheese and broiled to a state of cheesy goodness in the same pan we cooked the sausage and mushrooms in.
A tasty one-pan breakfast without eggs, for the win! And did I mention there are only five ingredients? If you like mushrooms, sausage, and cheese, I promise this is a breakfast idea that will really hit the spot when you get tired of eggs.
Cook the turkey (or pork) sausage links over medium-high heat in a 12 inch cast-iron skillet until they’re nicely browned. (Or use any frying pan that can go under the broiler.) Remove the sausage to a plate, wash out the skillet if needed, add a little more olive oil, add washed and sliced mushrooms, and cook mushrooms until they’re starting to brown. Cook mushrooms until all liquid has evaporated. Cut sausages into three diagonal pieces. Layer sausage pieces over the mushrooms in the skillet.
Sprinkle the mushroom/sausage mixture with a generous amount of grated mozzarella and broil just until cheese has melted and is barely starting to brown. (This won’t take more than a couple of minutes; watch it carefully.) Remove from broiler, top with sliced green onions, and serve.
This re-heated pretty well, but it was definitely best hot from the broiler, and it’s so easy to make that I’d probably make it fresh each time I wanted some.
More Low-Carb Breakfasts with Sausage and/or Mushrooms:
Sausage, Mushrooms, and Feta Baked with Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Breakfast Stuffed Mushrooms ~ Nutmeg Nanny
Low-Carb Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Breakfast Bowls with Chicken Sausage and Egg Whites ~ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
Low-Carb Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Crustless Quiche with Vegetables and Sausage ~ Barefeet in the Kitchen
Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast
This Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast is a great breakfast option when you’re tired of eggs, and this tasty breakfast is also Keto, low-glycemic, and gluten-free (with gluten-free sausage.
- 12 – 16 oz. turkey or pork breakfast sausage links
- 16 oz. brown Cremini mushrooms or more (or other mushrooms of your choice), washed, dried well, and cut into thick slices
- 2 tsp. + 1 T olive oil
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese (or more)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal (for garnish; optional)
- Turn on the broiler to preheat. Wash mushrooms, spin dry in a salad spinner or dry well with paper towels, and slice mushrooms into thick slices.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in a 12 inch cast-iron skillet and cook the sausages over medium-high heat until they’re nicely browned. Remove sausage to a cutting board.
- Wash out pan if needed, then add 1 T oil and heat over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the mushrooms and cook until they’re starting to brown and all the liquid has evaporated.
- While mushrooms brown, slice each sausage on the diagonal into three pieces. Layer the sliced sausage over the browned mushrooms, sprinkle with generous amount of grated Mozzarella, and put under the broil until cheese melts and is starting to brown. (This only takes a couple of minutes, so watch it carefully.)
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with diagonally sliced green onions. Serve hot.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast with mushrooms, sausage, and cheese should be approved for all low-carb and low-glycemic eating plans, including any phase of the South Beach Diet. You will need to use low-fat turkey sausage and reduced fat cheese if you’re making it for South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.