Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast
Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast is a great breakfast option when you’re tired of eggs.
For many years one of my most common recipe requests was for a Low-Carb (or South Beach Diet Phase One) breakfast that didn’t include eggs. And I absolutely get it; even though I like eggs I sometimes get tired of them myself. But for a long time I had a hard time coming up with a tasty low-carb breakfast without eggs. (Obviously, so did everyone else, that’s why people keep asking me for them!) Then the idea for Low-Carb No Egg Breakfast Bake with Turkey Breakfast Sausage and Peppers popped into my head one day, and that recipe has been a hit.
That breakfast recipe is definitely what inspired this Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast. This time we combined nicely-browned mushrooms and links of turkey (or pork) breakfast sausage for a skillet breakfast that’s covered with cheese and broiled to a state of cheesy goodness in the same pan we cooked the sausage and mushrooms in.
A tasty one-pan breakfast without eggs, for the win, and there are only five ingredients! If you like mushrooms, sausage, and cheese, I promise this is a breakfast idea that will really hit the spot when you get tired of eggs. And during January when many people are stricter on their carb-conscious eating plans it seems like a perfect time to feature this for Friday Favorites and remind you about this tasty no-egg breakfast option! Hope you enjoy!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- turkey breakfast sausage links
- brown Cremini mushrooms
- olive oil. divided
- grated Mozzarella cheese
- green onions (for garnish; optional)
How to Make Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast:
(Scroll down for complete recipe including nutritional information.)
- Cook the turkey (or pork) sausage links over medium-high heat in a 12 inch cast-iron skillet (affiliate link) until they’re nicely browned. (Or use any frying pan that can go under the broiler.)
- Remove the sausage to a plate, wash out the skillet if needed, add a little more olive oil, add washed and sliced mushrooms, and cook mushrooms until they’re starting to brown. Cook mushrooms until all liquid has evaporated.
- Cut sausages into three diagonal pieces.
- Layer sausage pieces over the mushrooms in the skillet.
- Sprinkle the mushroom/sausage mixture with a generous amount of grated mozzarella and broil just until cheese has melted and is barely starting to brown. (This won’t take more than a couple of minutes; watch it carefully.)
- Remove from broiler, top with sliced green onions, and serve.
- This re-heated pretty well, but it was definitely best hot from the broiler, and it’s so easy to make that I’d probably make it fresh each time I wanted some.
More Low-Carb Breakfasts with Sausage and/or Mushrooms:
- 1 pound turkey breakfast sausage links (see notes)
- 16 oz. brown Cremini mushrooms (see notes)
- 5 tsp. olive oil. divided
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal (for garnish; optional)
- Turn on the broiler to preheat. Wash mushrooms, spin dry in a salad spinner (affiliate link) or dry well with paper towels, and slice mushrooms into thick slices.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in a 12 inch cast-iron skillet (affiliate link) and cook the sausages over medium-high heat until they’re nicely browned. Remove sausage to a cutting board.
- Wash out pan if needed, then add 1 T oil and heat over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the mushrooms and cook until they’re starting to brown and all the liquid has evaporated.
- While mushrooms brown, slice each sausage on the diagonal into three pieces. Layer the sliced sausage over the browned mushrooms, sprinkle with generous amount of grated Mozzarella, and put under the broil until cheese melts and is starting to brown. (This only takes a couple of minutes, so watch it carefully.)
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with diagonally sliced green onions. Serve hot.
Use pork breakfast sausage if you prefer. Use regular white mushrooms if you prefer.
Recipe created by Kalyn. First posted May 2017; recipe updated January 2020.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 136mgSodium: 606mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast with mushrooms, sausage, and cheese should be approved for all low-carb and low-glycemic eating plans, including any phase of the South Beach Diet. You will need to use low-fat turkey sausage and reduced fat cheese if you’re making it for South Beach. Use pork sausage and full-fat cheese for Keto diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.