Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts
Low-Carb Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts gets a big flavor boost from fresh basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts! And this delicious variation on cauliflower rice is also Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and meatless. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one!
When I shared Barely Steamed Asparagus with Basil Vinaigrette recently, I told you how excited I was to find basil plants showing up in my grocery store! My love for fresh basil is pretty obvious on this blog, and every summer I look forward to using it in recipes like Basil Pesto with Lemon, Chicken Salad with Basil and Parmesan, and of course the previously-mentioned Basil Vinaigrette. And today I’m reminding you about this amazing Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts that’s another recipe I crave every year when fresh basil becomes available again.
I hope you’ll look for basil plants to keep in the kitchen window next time you’re at the grocery store. I always buy basil plants at Trader Joe’s, but if there’s not a Trader Joe’s close to you, most big grocery stores will get big basil plants when it’s garden planting time, and if you like basil, Parmesan, and pine nuts, I promise you’re going to love them in cauliflower rice!
I prefer freshly-chopped cauliflower for this recipe so if you use frozen cauliflower rice refer to the cooking time on the package. Use the food processor to chop up the cauliflower so it’s about the size of cooked grains of rice and have the freshly-grated Parmesan, toasted pine nuts, and sliced basil ready to go. (I used my Herb Scissors to get those wonderful slices of basil, but you can also chiffonade the basil with a sharp knife.) Heat the oil over medium-high heat and then add garlic cloves and season the oil.
Remove garlic, add cauliflower and cook until it’s done to your liking, about 4 minutes for me. Turn off the heat, then one at a time add the Parmesan, the basil, and the pine nuts and gently stir into the rice. Season Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts with salt and fresh-ground black pepper, serve hot, and enjoy!
Make it a Meal:
More Low-Carb Recipes with Cauliflower Rice:
Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Thai Cucumber Cauliflower Rice Salad ~ Cafe Johnsonia
The Best Easy Cauliflower Rice with Garlic and Green Onion ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Keto Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Rice ~ I Breathe I’m Hungry
Low-Carb Fried Cauliflower Rice with Shrimp ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts
Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts gets a big flavor boost from fresh basil!
- 1 lb. finely chopped fresh cauliflower (about 4 cups chopped cauliflower)
- 1 T olive oil (or slightly more if you don’t have a good non-stick pan)
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves (more or less to taste and depending on how much fresh basil you have)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Finely chop the cauliflower into pieces that are about the size of grains of rice, or slightly bigger. (Be careful not to get them too small; you want some texture in the cauliflower. I used my beloved Cuisinart Food Processor, but you can use a knife or a stand grater too.)
- Slice the garlic cloves into 2-3 slices each and grate the Parmesan cheese.
- Wash basil if needed and spin dry or dry with paper towels, then thinly slice the basil. (I used my RSVP Herb Scissors to slice the basil, but you can use a knife to chiffonade basil instead.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan for 1-2 minutes, just until they are barely starting to brown.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. (I used my new Green Pan Wok, which was perfect for this.)
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook about 30-45 seconds, or just until you can smell garlic. (Don’t brown the garlic; that will make it bitter.)
- Remove garlic and discard; then add the cauliflower and stir-fry until it’s barely cooked through, about 4 minutes. (I like it when the cauliflower still has a little bite to it; taste and see when you think it’s done.
- Season cauliflower with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Then turn off the heat and one at a time gently stir in the Parmesan, the sliced basil, and the pine nuts.
- Serve hot.
- This isn’t bad when it’s stored in the fridge overnight but the flavor of the fresh basil really shines through best when it’s freshly made.
I prefer freshly-chopped cauliflower for this recipe so if you use frozen cauliflower rice refer to the cooking time on the package.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts is a perfect recipe for any type of Low-Carb eating plan, including all phases of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.