Low-Carb Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza-Stuffed Peppers (VIDEO)
Stuffed peppers meet pizza in this tasty low-carb main dish with sausage, pepperoni, cheese, pizza sauce, and peppers. Pizza fans who are watching their carbs will love these Low-Carb Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza-Stuffed Peppers!
Even if you missed the big announcement yesterday, unless you’re brand new to this blog, you probably notice something has changed! I’m thrilled with the new WordPress site created by Lindsay from Purr Design, who is doing her best to give me a crash course in WordPress. And if you’re not a blogger, what that means is that I barely know what I am doing, but nevertheless I am going to attempt to share this new recipe for Low-Carb Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza-Stuffed Peppers!
If you follow me on Instagram, you might have seen the first version of the recipe with lovely green, yellow, and orange peppers. Unfortunately when I went to make it again to improve the recipe, I couldn’t find colored peppers that were the longer shape I wanted, so I had to use all red ones. But by all means, if you find large peppers that are different colors definitely use them.
When you get down to where the actual recipe is in this post, you’ll see the recipe enclosed in a lovely box with a PRINT button right in the post. That’s one of the reasons I wanted to switch to WordPress, but please remember that it will take me months (and months and months) to get all the 2,000+ recipes on this site into that new format. For older posts there’s still a printer-friendly page where you use your computer’s print function (usually file/print) to print the recipe.
And before I get to more about this recipe, thanks everyone for the lovely feedback on the new site. It’s a steep learning curve for me, but I am thrilled with it and am so happy other people are liking it too!
Watch the slide show video to see the steps for this recipe. You can see more slide show videos on My You Tube Channel.
First let’s make the stuffing mixture. Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the sausage well, breaking apart as it cooks. (I use a potato masher to break apart the meat; don’t laugh!) When sausage is brown, push it over to cook the onions and garlic. Then add the pizza sauce and simmer until the sauce has cooked down a lot; the mixture should be barely wet. (Look for the lowest-sugar sauce you can find. For me this was Ragu Homemade Style Pizza Sauce which only adds 5 carbs per serving to this dish. Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped pepperoni and grated cheese.
Cut the pepper in half lengthwise, cutting away the stem but trying to leave the end part to help hold in the filling. Divide the pizza stuffing mixture between the six pepper halves and bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and put grated Mozzarella and pepperoni halves on top of each pepper. Bake about 25 minutes more, or until cheese is nicely melted and browned.
Serve hot and enjoy! Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for a few days or frozen, and these reheat well.
Low-Carb Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza-Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pkg. (19.5 oz) Italian sausage or turkey Italian sausage links, uncooked
- 2-3 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 jar pizza sauce, 14 oz. (The lowest sugar sauce I found was Ragu Homemade Style Pizza Sauce with 5 grams sugar in 1/4 cup.)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 large bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise and stem and seeds removed
- 3 oz. pepperoni, 12 pieces cut in half for the top of the peppers and the rest chopped
- 2 cups + 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish or large baking sheet with non-stick spray or olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and squeeze sausage out of the casings and add to the pan, breaking apart with your fingers as you add it. Cook until sausage is nicely browned, breaking apart with a turner or potato masher as it cooks.
- While the sausage cooks, cut 12 pepperoni slices in halves and the rest into fourths. Grate cheese if needed, or measure out desired amount of pre-grated cheese. Cut peppers in half and remove the seeds and cut out the stem end.
- When sausage is nicely browned, push it to the side and add the onions and garlic. Turn heat to medium and cook onions and garlic 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sauce and the dried oregano, turn heat to low, and simmer until the sauce is reduced and thickened. (You should be able to see the bottom of the pan if you pull your turner across it.)
- Turn off heat, let the mixture cool for a few minutes, then add the chopped pepperoni and 2 cups grated Mozzarella, stirring gently so it’s well-mixed with the sausage mixture.
- Fill each pepper with the pizza-stuffing mixture, packing it in so all the stuffing is used. (It’s easiest to hold the pepper in your hand over the pan while you fill and then add it to the baking dish.)
- Bake peppers 20 minutes. Then remove from the oven and add a generous pinch of grated cheese and four pepperoni halves to the top of each pepper. Put back in the oven and bake 25 minutes more, or until the cheese is nicely browned, peppers are cooked, and the stuffing mixture is bubbling hot. Serve hot
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This recipe should be suitable for low-carb, Keto, and low-glycemic diets. For the South Beach Diet, use turkey Italian sausage, turkey pepperoni, and reduced-fat mozzarella. Other low-carb diet plans would probably prefer pork sausage, regular pepperoni, and full-fat cheese.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.