Low-Carb Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza-Stuffed Peppers (VIDEO)
Low-Carb Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza-Stuffed Peppers are a great low-carb dinner when you’re craving pizza but don’t want the carbs. Use Oven Dinners for more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you might like to make
Low-Carb Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza-Stuffed Peppers!
If there is one thing I know from many years of blogging, it’s that even low-carb eaters love dishes with pizza flavors! I guess that’s partly why these Low-Carb Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza-Stuffed Peppers have been such a hit on the blog, although stuffed peppers in general are a popular item. So many people have enjoyed these stuffed peppers with pizza ingredients that they seem perfect to feature for our Friday Favorites post this week!
My first version of this recipe had lovely green, yellow, and orange peppers. Unfortunately when I went to make it again to improve the recipe, I couldn’t find colored peppers that were the longer shape I wanted, so I had to use all red ones. But by all means, if you find large peppers that are different colors definitely use them.
And if you like pizza flavors but don’t want so many carbs, I hope you enjoy this pizza-flavored take on Stuffed Peppers! Check out Ten Low-Carb Stuffed Peppers Recipes for even more tasty options.
How to Make Low-Carb Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza-Stuffed Peppers:
(This is just a summary of the steps; scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- First let’s make the stuffing mixture. Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the sausage well, breaking apart as it cooks. (I use a potato masher (affiliate link) to break apart the meat; don’t laugh!)
- When sausage is brown, push it over to cook the onions and garlic.
- Then add the pizza sauce and simmer until the sauce has cooked down a lot; the mixture should be barely wet. (Look for the lowest-sugar sauce you can find. For me this was Ragu Homemade Style Pizza Sauce which only adds 5 carbs per serving to this dish.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped pepperoni and grated cheese.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise, cutting away the stem but trying to leave the end part to help hold in the filling.
- Divide the pizza stuffing mixture between the six pepper halves and bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and put grated Mozzarella and pepperoni halves on top of each pepper.
- Bake about 25 minutes more, or until cheese is nicely melted and browned.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for a few days or frozen, and these reheat well.
More Low-Carb Stuffed Peppers Recipes:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
The lowest sugar sauce I found was Rao's Pizza Sauce (affiliate link) with 3 grams sugar in 1/4 cup. Recipe created by Kalyn.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 636 Total Fat: 47g Saturated Fat: 19g Unsaturated Fat: 29g Cholesterol: 115mg Sodium: 1541mg Carbohydrates: 9.4g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Protein: 36g
The lowest sugar sauce I found was Rao's Pizza Sauce (affiliate link) with 3 grams sugar in 1/4 cup.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza-Stuffed Peppers should be suitable for low-carb, Keto, and low-glycemic diets as long as you use a pizza sauce that’s low in sugar. For the South Beach Diet, use turkey Italian sausage, turkey pepperoni, and reduced-fat mozzarella. Other low-carb diet plans would probably prefer pork sausage, regular pepperoni, and full-fat cheese.