Low-Carb Cheesy Zucchini with Garlic and Parsley
Cheesy Zucchini with Garlic and Parsley is a delicious and simple zucchini side dish that everyone will enjoy, and this cheesy zucchini is low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, meatless, and with the right cheese it’s South Beach Diet friendly. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Today was Sneak Some Zucchini onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day, and recently I shared Low-Carb Salads with Zucchini and my Top Ten Most Popular Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes so you’d have lots of tempting ideas for zucchini just in case you were lucky enough to get some! And in my lastest new zucchini recipe I mentioned that I had a few more zucchini recipes coming before zucchini madness is over, and this is one I’m excited to share!
This recipe for Low-Carb Cheesy Zucchini with Garlic and Parsley was adapted from a recipe I found years ago in Food to Live By, a wonderful cookbook created by the owners of Earthbound Farms. They’re the people who sell that beautiful organic baby arugula I love so much, and other wonderful vegetable products, and this is a great book for summer cooking, especially if you have a garden or farmers market where you can get a lot of garden veggies. (And I bought the book myself and Earthbound Farms has probably never hear of me or this blog, just in case you were wondering!)
This amazing recipe is something I made and posted on the blog ten years ago (yikes!), and ever since then it has been back in the archives with only a couple of ho-hum photos and nothing really to entice you to make it. And when I did make it again to take photos, I opted for minced garlic from a jar instead of the thinly sliced garlic cloves that burn so easily, and I was a bit more generous with the cheese. In my opinion, both of those minor changes only made it better!
This recipe deserved to have the photos updated years ago and truthfully I have no idea why it took me so long to get to it, other than the obvious problem of too many old recipes with bad photos! For the last several summers I had it on my list of recipes to update and it always got passed over for flashier recipes. But if you like garlic and cheesy zucchini, I promise this is a simple side dish that you’ll be so happy to have in your zucchini recipe collection! Please try it and come back and tell me how you liked it!
Cut the zucchini in to half moon slices about 1//2 inch thick. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and minced garlic, heat just until you smell the garlic, then add the zucchini, stir, cover, and cook about 4 minutes. Uncover and cook a couple of minutes more.
When zucchini is tender but still a tiny bit crisp, sprinkle with generous amount of chopped parsley and salt to taste and let it wilt. Sprinkle Parmesan over and let it melt for a minute or so. Then sprinkle with grated Mozzarella, cover the pan and turn off the heat. Let it sit until the cheese is nicely melted, then serve immediately!
That’s all there is to it for this amazing zucchini side dish that everyone will like!
More Favorite Zucchini Side Dishes That Are a Wow!
Low-Carb Cheesy Zucchini with Garlic and Parsley
Cheesy Zucchini with Garlic and Parsley is a delicious and simple zucchini side dish that your family will love.
- 3 small to medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (if zucchini are larger, cut in half or fourths lengthwise, then slice)
- 1 – 2 T olive oil (more oil keeps the garlic from burning and adds flavor, but your choice)
- 2 T minced garlic (garlic from a jar is fine, but use fresh if you prefer)
- sea salt to taste
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped flat parsley
- 3 T coarsely grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella
- Cut both ends off the zucchini, then cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (if zucchini are larger, cut in half or fourths lengthwise, then slice.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat , heat the olive oil in a large frying pan with a lid. (I used my favorite Green Pan 12 Inch Frying Pan.)
- Add minced garlic and cook about 1 minute, or until you start to smell garlic.
- Add squash and stir to coat with oil and garlic, then cover and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- After 4-5 minutes, check to see if there is a lot of liquid and whether squash is tender. Cook 1-2 more minutes, uncovered until zucchini is tender-crisp and liquid is evaporated.
- Sprinkle squash with salt and chopped parsley and stir to wilt parsley.
- Add Parmesan and cook until it melts, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the squash, cover pan again and turn off the heat. Let sit 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted and serve hot.
This recipe adapted slightly from Food to Live By.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Cheesy Zucchini with Garlic and Parsley would make a great side dish for low-carb or low-glycemic eating plans. It would also work for any phase of the South Beach diet if you used reduced fat cheese and watch the portion size so you stay within South Beach guidelines for fat intake.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.