Fried Cabbage with Bacon (Video)
Fried Cabbage with Bacon is loaded with flavor and can be on the table in no time when you need a quick and easy low-carb meal!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon!
Has the cabbage gone on sale yet in your grocery store? I promised to feature lots of cabbage recipes during March when cabbage goes on sale, and this popular recipe for Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon is one of the easiest and tastiest things to make with cabbage. And if you’re starting to think about St. Patrick’s Day, you might not know that bacon and cabbage is actually a traditional Irish dish!
It’s probably obvious that I love cabbage, since I’ve shared and raved about so many recipes with cabbage on this blog. And just about any time you take a peek into my vegetable crisper you’ll find at least one head of cabbage in there. I know not everyone loves cabbage the same way I do, but if you like cabbage even a little (and doesn’t every one like bacon?) then you should try Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon for a quick 5-ingredient lunch or dinner idea.
This is so quick and easy you barely need a recipe. Just fry some bacon (use more or less, depending on how you feel about bacon), leave a little bacon fat in the pan, fry the chopped cabbage, add the bacon back in, cook a little more, season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper (and a pinch of hot pepper flakes if desired), and before you know it you’re eating a delicious dish of fried cabbage and bacon.
We used a whole pound of bacon to make this Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon a main dish, but if you’d like to serve this as a side dish you can use just a little bacon and serve another type of protein on the side. The only thing even the tiniest bit tricky about this is being sure to use a big pan so the cabbage fries without being crowded (because no one wants steamed cabbage when it’s supposed to be fried!)
How to Make Fried Cabbage with Bacon:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- We cut the bacon into squares so there would be generous bites of bacon throughout the dish.
- Chop the cabbage into small bite-sized chunks.
- Fry the bacon until it’s crisp in a very large frying pan. W used a 14 Inch Frying Pan (affiliate link); use the biggest one you have.
- When the bacon is crisp, drain on a double layer of paper towels. Remove the fat from the pan, leaving just one or two tablespoons of bacon fat.
- Heat the bacon fat in the pan over medium-high heat until its’s shimmering, then add the cabbage and cook 5-6 minutes, turning a few times so the cabbage cooks evenly.
- Then add the crisped bacon pieces and cook about 5-6 minutes more, turning frequently.
- When cabbage is softened to your liking, turn off heat, season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper, and sprinkle with a pinch of red pepper flakes if desired. Serve hot.
- Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon will keep in the fridge a day or two and can be quickly reheated in a hot frying pan, but it’s probably best freshly made.
And if you like my recipe for Roasted Cabbage with Lemon, I definitely wouldn’t mind some lemon squeezed over the top.
More Tasty Cabbage You Might Like:
Low-Carb Fish Taco Cabbage Bowl ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Braised Cabbage and Apples ~ A Family Feast
Warm Red Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Sausage Cabbage Vegetable Soup ~ Reluctant Entertainer
Shrimp Salad Cabbage Cups ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cabbage with Bacon and Cream ~ All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
Recipe created by Kalyn and Kara. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 10gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 1375mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 26g
Recipe created by Kalyn and Kara.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon is a good side dish for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, especially Keto. You can adjust the amount of bacon depending on what kind of eating plan you’re following or your preference.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Skillet Meals or Cabbage Recipes to find more recipe like this one!Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.