Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon (Video)
Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon is loaded with flavor and can be on the table in no time when you need a quick and easy low-carb dinner or lunch! And this tasty fried cabbage recipe is also Keto, Low-glycemic, gluten-free, and dairy-free and with the right bacon it can be Paleo! Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipe like this one!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon!
It’s probably obvious that I love cabbage, since I’ve shared and raved about recipes like Spicy Mexican Slaw, Roasted Cabbage with Lemon, Sriracha Beef Cabbage Bowl, and even Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon. And just about any time you take a peek into my vegetable crisper you’ll find at least one head of cabbage in there. I know not everyone loves cabbage the same way I do, but if you like cabbage even a little (and doesn’t every one like bacon?) then you really must try this Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon for a quick 5-ingredient lunch or dinner idea.
This is so quick and easy you barely need a recipe. Just fry some bacon (use more or less, depending on how you feel about bacon), leave a little bacon fat in the pan, fry the chopped cabbage, add the bacon back in, cook a little more, season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper (and a pinch of hot pepper flakes if desired), and before you know it you’re eating a delicious dish of fried cabbage and bacon. We used a whole pound of bacon to make this Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon a main dish, but if you’d like to serve this as a side dish you can use just a little bacon and serve another type of protein on the side. The only thing even the tiniest bit tricky about this is being sure to use a big pan so the cabbage fries without being crowded (because no one wants steamed cabbage when it’s supposed to be fried!)
We cut the bacon into squares so there would be generous bites of bacon throughout the dish and chopped the cabbage into small chunks. Fry the bacon until it’s crisp in a very large frying pan (we used a 14 Inch Frying Pan; use the biggest one you have.) When the bacon is crisp, drain on a double layer of paper towels. Remove the fat from the pan, leaving just one tablespoon of bacon fat.
Heat the bacon fat in the pan over medium-high heat until its’s shimmering, then add the cabbage and cook 5-6 minutes, turning a few times so the cabbage cooks evenly. Then add the crisped bacon pieces and cook about 5-6 minutes more, turning frequently. When cabbage is softened to your liking, turn off heat, season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper, and sprinkle with a pinch of red pepper flakes if desired. Serve hot.
Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon will keep in the fridge a day or two and can be quickly reheated in a hot frying pan, but it’s probably best freshly made. And if you like my recipe for Roasted Cabbage with Lemon, I definitely wouldn’t mind some lemon squeezed over the top.
More Tasty Cabbage You Might Like:
Low-Carb Fish Taco Cabbage Bowl ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Braised Cabbage and Apples ~ A Family Feast
Warm Red Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Sausage Cabbage Vegetable Soup ~ Reluctant Entertainer
Shrimp Salad Cabbage Cups ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cabbage with Bacon and Cream ~ All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- 1 lb. thick sliced bacon, cut into squares (Use more or less bacon to taste.)
- 1 large head green cabbage, cut into large bite-sized chunks
- 1 T bacon grease (reserved from cooking the bacon)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- pinch hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Cut the bacon strips into squares.
- Cut the cabbage in half, cut out the core, and cut the cabbage in large bite-sized chunks.
- Heat a very large frying pan over medium high heat. (We used a 14 Inch Frying Pan; use the largest pan you have. Add the bacon and cook, stirring a few times, until all the bacon is browned and crisp, about 6-8 minutes. Remove the bacon to a plate you’ve covered with a double layer of paper towels to drain.
- Remove all the bacon fat from the pan except about 1 tablespoon (more or less, according to your preference, but we thought this amount was perfect.) Heat the pan over medium-high heat until the bacon fat is shimmering.
- Add the cabbage into the pan and cook 5-6 minutes, turning a few times so the cabbage cooks on all sides.
- Add the crisp bacon back into the pan with the cabbage and cook 5-6 minutes more, turning frequently to get the bacon flavor throughout the cabbage and to get the cabbage nicely browned on all sides.
- When the cabbage is softened to your liking, season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste. If you’d like a bit of heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Serve hot. This will keep in the fridge for a day or two and can be reheated in a hot frying pan, but it’s best freshly made.
Recipe created by Kalyn and Kara.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Fried Cabbage with Bacon is a good side dish for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, especially Keto. You can adjust the amount of bacon depending on what kind of eating plan you’re following or your preference.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.