Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon (Video)
I promise this Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon is really a wow when you’re looking for an interesting side dish. This recipe is low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, and gluten-free and if you’re willing to splurge a bit on the bacon I would eat it for the South Beach Diet as well. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon!
I guess it’s a good thing I started out the new year with Pizza Casserole, because after that I posted Soups with Cauliflower, followed by Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Soup, and then this Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon! (Bear with me if you’re not a fan of cauliflower or cabbage please!)
Maybe the word bacon will reassure you about the flavors here, because when we tested the recipe Kara and I absolutely loved this dish with slightly sauteed cabbage and crisp bacon baked with a sour cream and cheese topping. The method used here makes the cabbage sweet and delicious, and if you’re worried about bacon, it only takes a tiny bit of bacon to make this amazing.
If you’re looking for an interesting new low-carb side dish, please be open-minded and give Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon a try. You won’t regret it!
Slice the bacon into thin strips and cook over medium-high heat in a small frying pan until it’s crisp; then drain well on paper towels. In the largest frying pan you have, cook the onion in olive oil (or a little bacon fat if you prefer) just until it starts to brown. Add shredded cabbage and season with sweet paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook until the cabbage over high heat just until it’s softened, then stir in the bacon and cook 1-2 minutes more to combine flavors.
Put the cabbage-bacon mixture in a large baking dish and spread the sour cream over it. Top with the grated Mozzarella and bake at 375F/190C for about 30 minutes, or until it’s heated through and the top is nicely browned.
More Delicious Low-Carb Ideas with Cabbage:
Sriracha Beef Cabbage Bowl ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Sausage and Spinach Stuffed Cabbage Leaves ~ The Cooking Bride
Roasted Cabbage with Lemon ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet ~ Very Culinary
Low-Carb Fish Taco Cabbage Bowl ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon
- 4 slices thick-sliced bacon, cut into thin strips
- 2 tsp. olive oil or bacon fat (more or less, depending on your pan)
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 large head of cabbage (2 pounds) core cut out and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika (see notes)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream (Daisy full-fat sour cream preferred)
- 3/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Slice the bacon. Cut the core out of the cabbage and cut it into thin strips. (We used a mandoline slicer to slice the cabbage.) Mince the onion.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium high heat, add the strips of bacon, and cook until the bacon is browned and very crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil (or a little bacon fat if you prefer) in the largest frying pan you have, add the minced onion, and cook over medium-high heat until it’s barely starting to brown. Add the sliced cabbage, season with paprika, salt, and pepper, and cook just until it has softened partly. Then add the crisp bacon pieces, stir to combine with the cabbage, and cook 1-2 minutes more to combine flavors.
- Spray a glass baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (The oval glass dish I used was 13″ x 10″ at the widest parts.) Put the sauteed cabbage in the casserole dish and spread the sour cream over, then sprinkle with the grated Mozzarella.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until it’s bubbling hot and the top is nicely browned. Serve hot.
I love Szeged Paprika, but any sweet paprika will work for this recipe.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon is suitable for most low-carb eating plans, including Keto. Bacon isn’t recommended for the South Beach Diet, but personally I wouldn’t object to a little well-drained bacon in a low-carb dish like this, and I’d eat it for any phase of the diet. If you want to follow the letter of the law for South Beach, skip the bacon (or use turkey bacon) and use reduced-fat sour cream and cheese and this will still be a delicious side dish.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.