Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon (Video)
Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon is really a wow when you’re looking for an interesting low-carb and Keto side dish! Or use more bacon if you prefer and eat the tasty twice-cooked cabbage for a main dish!
PIN Twice-Cooked Cabbage to try it later!
As I keep reminding you, cabbage is on sale everywhere in March, so I hope you’re trying some recipes with cabbage while it’s such a bargain. And I’m continuing the month of cabbage love by reminding you about this ultra popular recipe for Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon!
For everyone who does love cabbage like I do, this is a must-try cabbage recipe. But bear with me if you’re not a fan of cabbage please! And for those who are not the biggest cabbage fans, maybe the use of bacon will reassure you about the flavors here, because when we tested the recipe Kara and I absolutely loved this dish with lightly cooked cabbage and crisp bacon baked with a sour cream and cheese topping.
If you’re looking for an interesting new Keto side dish, please be open-minded and give Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon a try. You won’t regret it!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- thick-sliced bacon
- Olive Oil (affiliate link) or bacon fat
- yellow onion
- Szeged Sweet Paprika (affiliate link)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- sour cream (Daisy full-fat sour cream preferred)
- grated Mozzarella cheese
What makes this cabbage recipe so good?
The method used here of cooking the cabbage with Sweet Paprika and then bacon and then baking it with sour cream and cheese makes the cabbage sweet and delicious. It only takes a tiny bit of bacon to make this amazing, but use more bacon if you prefer!
Want more recipe ideas with cabbage?
Check out Low-Carb and Keto Cabbage Recipes for more tasty recipes with cabbage.
How to Make Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- Slice the bacon into thin strips and cook over medium-high heat in a small frying pan until it’s crisp; then drain well on paper towels.
- In the largest frying pan you have, cook the onion in olive oil (or a little bacon fat if you prefer) just until it starts to brown.
- Add shredded cabbage and season with Sweet Paprika (affiliate link), salt, and pepper.
- Cook until the cabbage over high heat just until it’s softened, then stir in the bacon and cook 1-2 minutes more to combine flavors.
- Put cabbage-bacon mixture in a large baking dish and spread sour cream over it.
- Top with the grated Mozzarella.
- Bake at 375F/190C for about 30 minutes, or until it’s heated through and the top is nicely browned.
More Delicious Low-Carb Cabbage Recipes:
- Sriracha Beef Cabbage Bowl
- Roasted Cabbage with Lemon
- Low-Carb Fish Taco Cabbage Bowl
- Low-Carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep where you’ll find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon
Low-Carb and Keto Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon is really a wow when you're looking for an interesting side dish!
- 4 slices thick-sliced bacon, cut into thin strips (or more)
- 2 tsp. olive oil or bacon fat
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 large head of cabbage core cut out and cut into thin strips (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika (see notes)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream (Daisy full-fat sour cream preferred)
- 3/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Slice the bacon.
- Cut the core out of the cabbage and cut it into thin strips. (We used a mandoline slicer to slice the cabbage.)
- Mince the onion.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium high heat, add the strips of bacon, and cook until the bacon is browned and very crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil (or a little bacon fat if you prefer) in the largest frying pan you have, add the minced onion, and cook over medium-high heat until it's barely starting to brown.
- Add the sliced cabbage, season with paprika, salt, and pepper, and cook just until it has softened partly.
- Then add the crisp bacon pieces, stir to combine with the cabbage, and cook 1-2 minutes more to combine flavors.
- Spray a glass baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (The oval glass dish I used was 13" x 10" at the widest parts.)
- Put the sauteed cabbage in the casserole dish and spread the sour cream over, then sprinkle with the grated Mozzarella.
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until it's bubbling hot and the top is nicely browned. Serve hot.
The cabbage we used was about 2 pounds. I love Szeged Paprika (affilite link), but any sweet paprika will work for this recipe.
This recipe was adapted from Joy of Cooking, discovered via The The Kitchn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 246mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon is suitable for low-carb eating plans, including Keto. Bacon isn’t recommended for the original South Beach Diet, but personally I wouldn’t object to a little well-drained bacon in a low-carb dish like this, and I’d eat it for any phase of the diet. If you want to follow the letter of the law for South Beach, skip the bacon (or use turkey bacon) and use reduced-fat sour cream and cheese and this will still be a delicious side dish.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dishes or Cabbage Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
158 Comments on “Twice-Cooked Cabbage with Sour Cream and Bacon (Video)”
Apologies if this has been asked, but you have a lot of comments, ha. How are the leftovers of this?
I think this type of recipe is always best freshly made (and I don’t recommend freezing it.) But it will keep in the fridge for a day or so and will reheat okay. (Don’t heat it too long or at too high of a temperature or the sauce will separate.)
This is a go to recipe for our family. We have made it as shown, added peppers and mushrooms, and swapped sausage for bacon. It’s delicious any way you make it!!
So glad you are enjoying it! Thanks for taking time to let me know. (And reviews are always appreciate if you want to show how much you like a recipe.)
I am a huge fried cabbage fan, my husband not so much. I made this today to go with smoked corn beef. Added some minced fresh garlic just because I put it in everything and it was amazing. My husband even commented that this is good enough to make for company. Would make this again for sure..
Definately trying. Also with cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, celery, etc.
Hope you enjoy!