Ground Beef Vegetable Soup
Ground Beef Vegetable Soup is a low-carb stovetop version of a slow cooker soup in the archives, and has tomatoes, cabbage, spinach, and cauliflower rice.
There are a lot of Instant Pot soups and slow cooker soups on this blog, but sometimes I just like to make a pot of soup on top of the stove and make my house smell great while it cooks. And you might have noticed I’m having fun creating low-carb versions of some of my recipes from the archives, and this new recipe for Ground Beef Vegetable Soup is a low-carb version of Slow Cooker Ground Beef Soup with Cabbage that used beans in the original recipe. The new soup has ground beef, onions, celery, canned tomatoes, cabbage, and spinach, and switches out the beans for a little cauliflower rice, and I made a few other minor changes because when I’m updating an old recipe idea I always like to improve it a bit!
I tried this soup out on some friends who came for dinner and we all enjoyed it with some Parmesan cheese on top, but it’s also very tasty with sour cream. This is a soup that can simmer on low for a few hours while you’re doing other things, but it can also be ready in under an hour if the family is hungry and just wants to eat. And despite the healthy vegetables, I think this has enough good flavors that most picky eaters will like it; enjoy!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- olive oil
- lean ground beef
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- minced garlic
- dried parsley
- Dried Thyme (affiliate link)
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link)
- ground fennel (affiliate link)(probably optional but recommended)
- canned beef broth
- canned vegetable broth
- canned petite dice tomatoes
- frozen cauliflower rice
- Sherry Vinegar (affiliate link) (or other mild vinegar)
Basic Steps for Ground Beef Vegetable Soup:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe plus nutritional information.)
- Heat olive oil and brown the ground beef, breaking apart while it cooks.
- Season cooked beef and add to the soup pot.
- While beef cooks, chop onion and celery, then add a bit more oil and cook them about 3 minutes.
- Then add garlic, dried herbs, and spices to the pan and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add beef stock and vegetable stock to the pan to rinse and then add that liquid to the soup pot with the canned petite dice tomatoes.
- Let soup simmer on low while you chop the cabbage. Take cauliflower rice out of the freezer.
- After 20 minutes add chopped cabbage and frozen cauliflower rice to the soup pot and continue to simmer while you chop the spinach.
- Add chopped spinach to the soup and cook 10 minutes longer (or more).
- Stir in Sherry Vinegar (affiliate link) or any mild light vinegar and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Taste soup and add more salt and fresh-ground black pepper as desired.
- Serve hot, with grated Parmesan cheese or sour cream to add at the table.
This makes a big pot of soup, but it freezes well and I recommend making the full amount!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
This would be absolutely delicious with Low-Carb Gluten-Free Almond Flour Savory Bread or Low-Carb Savory Muffins with Parmesan and Green Onions for a low-carb meal.
More Low-Carb Soups to Enjoy:
The Top Ten Low-Carb Soup Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Crock Pot Pizza Soup ~ Recipes that Crock
Low-Carb Chicken Soup with Collards and Lemon ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Keto Chicken Soup ~ Healthy Seasonal Recipes
Tasty Low-Carb Soups with Ground Beef ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
I recommend lean ground beef even if you don't care about fat content because using beef with a lot of fat can make this soup seem greasy. Use any all-purpose seasoning blend with good flavor if you don't have Spike Seasoning. You can use three cans beef broth and a little water to make this soup if you don't have homemade beef stock. If you don't have Sherry Vinegar (affiliate link) use any mild light vinegar you have on hand. This stovetop soup recipe adapted from Slow Cooker Ground Beef and Bean Soup with Cabbage back in the archives. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 757mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 27g
I recommend lean ground beef even if you don't care about fat content because using beef with a lot of fat can make this soup seem greasy. Use any all-purpose seasoning blend with good flavor if you don't have Spike Seasoning. You can use three cans beef broth and a little water to make this soup if you don't have homemade beef stock. If you don't have Sherry Vinegar (affiliate link) use any mild light vinegar you have on hand.
This stovetop soup recipe adapted from Slow Cooker Ground Beef and Bean Soup with Cabbage back in the archives.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This low-carb Ground Beef Vegetable Soup is a great dish for low-carb diet plans, and for any phase of the South Beach Diet. I recommend lean ground beef, even if you’re following a plan that permits more fat because otherwise the soup can be a bit too greasy.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
See Soup Recipes for more tasty soups like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.