Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Low-Carb Soup (Video)
Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Low-Carb Soup is also Keto, low-glycemic, South Beach Diet approved and gluten-free, and it’s delicious! Use Soup Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Low-Carb Soup!
If anyone just rolled their eyes a bit at the mention of sauerkraut in this Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Low-Carb Soup, please stay with me a bit before you dismiss this recipe. There are a few good reasons to give this soup a chance!
First, fermented foods are so healthy which is why they’re suddenly trendy, so the sauerkraut in the soup is a very good thing. Second, this soup is super low in carbs, easy to make, and freezes well. Third (and most important for people who are skeptical about the sauerkraut!) simmering sauerkraut in soup makes it sweet and breaks it apart into the soup, so that when you’re eating the finished soup you might not even realize it contains sauerkraut. Add a squeeze of sour cream, and this soup is absolutely delicious!
A few years ago a faithful reader told me that she makes this soup every time she does Phase One and my friend Bonnie’s husband George adores it too. I’ve also made it quite a few times for my annual soup party, and people love it every year. And I make it myself every January, which is why I’ve updated the photos a couple of times!
(Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Low-Carb Soup was updated with better photos January 2010 and again in January 2016. This is still one of my favorite soups; enjoy!)
Start by cooking the ground beef until it’s well-browned. Don’t rush this, because browning adds flavor. While the beef is browning, start simmering the stock, canned tomatoes, sauerkraut, sweetener of your choice, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, parsley, and sage. When the beef is well-browned, add it to the soup pot and let the soup continue to simmer.
Heat more olive oil in the same frying pan and saute the chopped onions, then add the minced garlic and saute a few minutes more. Add the onions and garlic to the soup and simmer on low about one hour, or until the sauerkraut has softened and broken down in the soup. After an hour taste the soup to see if it seems too strong and add some water if needed. (Simmer a little longer if you add water.)
Season to taste with a generous amount of fresh-ground black pepper (and a little salt if desired) and serve hot, with or without sour cream.
More Delicious Low-Carb Soups You Might Like:
Low-Carb Turkey, Mushroom, and Zucchini Noodle Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Zucchini Fideo Soup ~ Skinnytaste
10 Deliciously Healthy Low-Carb Soups with Cauliflower ~ Featured on Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Buffalo Chicken Soup ~ Doughmesstic
Low-Carb Double Mushroom Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Crock-Pot Low-Carb Un-Stuffed Cabbage Roll Soup ~ Sugar-Free Mom
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Soup
Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Low-Carb Soup is also Keto, low-glycemic, South Beach Diet approved and gluten-free, and it’s delicious!
- 1 lb. very lean ground beef (less than 10% fat)
- 2-3 tsp. olive oil (depending on your pan)
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 can (14 oz. can) chicken broth
- 2 or 3 cans (14 oz. can) beef broth (depending on how thick you prefer the soup; start with 2 cans and add more if desired)
- 1 can (14.5 oz. can) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (14 oz. can) sauerkraut with juice (or use bottled sauerkraut)
- 1 T granulated Stevia, brown sugar, or sweetener of your choice
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 3-4 dried bay leaves
- 3 T minced parsley or 1-2 T dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried rubbed sage
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 1 T minced garlic (or less if you’re not that fond of garlic)
- 1-2 cups water (if needed)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In heavy frying pan, heat 1 tsp. olive oil, add ground beef and brown well, breaking into small pieces with turner. This will take as much as ten minutes but don’t rush the browning step.
- While ground beef browns, combine chicken stock, beef stock, canned tomatoes, sauerkraut, granulated Stevia or sweetener of your choice, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, parsley and sage in large stock pot. Bring to a low simmer.
- When beef is well browned, add to soup in pot. Deglaze pan with a bit of the soup liquid, scraping off any browned bits, and add to soup.
- Wipe out frying pan and add other 1-2 tsp. olive oil. Saute onions 2-3 minutes, until starting to soften, then add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes more.
- Add to soup, reduce heat under soup pot and let soup simmer at low heat about one hour.
- After an hour, taste for seasoning and add water if soup seems too strong. Simmer 15 minutes more if adding water.
- Season to taste with fresh-ground black pepper (and a little salt if desired) before serving. Serve hot, with sour cream if desired.
I know I was inspired by a recipe I saw somewhere, but I can’t remember where I saw it!
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Ground Beef and Sauerkraut Low-Carb Soup would be a perfect Phase One lunch or dinner for the South Beach Diet, and it would also be approved for other types of low-carb eating plans. (South Beach and low-carb diets would recommend using an approved sweetener, but even if you used brown sugar this is still a very low-carb soup.)
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.