Slow Cooker Ham and Cabbage Soup
Use leftover ham to make this delicious Slow Cooker Ham and Cabbage Soup; this tasty soup is low-carb and gluten-free! And you can make it on the stove or in the Instant Pot if you prefer.
It’s Christmas Eve, and before I take some time off from the blog I thought I’d spotlight this delicious Slow Cooker Ham and Cabbage Soup. This tasty soup is the perfect thing to make with leftover holiday ham, and I promise ham and cabbage soup will taste great in a few days when you’re completely tired of rich foods. You can make this tasty soup on the stovetop too if you’re not a slow cooker fan, and now there’s an Instant Pot Low-Carb Ham and Cabbage Soup for those who prefer the Instant Pot!
I first made this tasty Ham and Cabbage Soup when I’d spent a few weeks of testing and eating Christmas cookies, and my body was telling me I needed some vegetables! The recipes produces soup with cabbage that’s melt-in-your-mouth tender from slow cooking, and there are lots of herbs and spices to make this a very tasty soup. And if you really want to start early with the healthy eating, leave out the carrots or just use a few carrots to make this a low-carb soup!
You can check out Low-Carb and Keto Soups with Cabbage to find more tasty soup ideas!
How to Make Slow Cooker Ham and Cabbage Soup:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Start by chopping up a whole head of cabbage. I had about 1 3/4 lbs. of cabbage after I trimmed it and removed the core.
- Chop up an onion and a red bell pepper into same-size pieces. I made them fairly small.
- I had some lovely thin carrots, so I just sliced them into round pieces. If you have thicker carrots, I’d chop them up a bit more. (Leave out the carrots for the most low-carb version of the soup.)
- Cut up some enough ham to make about 2 cups of diced ham (1 1/4 lb.) I would use lean ham for this soup. (I save the ham rinds and use them to make ham stock.)
- Put the cabbage, onion, red bell pepper, carrots, diced ham, spices, and dried herbs into the crockpot.
- Add 6 cups chicken stock, and 2 cups water, and Goya Ham Flavor Concentrate (affiliate link) and cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.
- Serve hot, with Parmesan Cheese if desired.
It’s not especially a photogenic soup, but this soup was really delicious, especially with a bit of Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top when you eat it!
More Delicious Soups with Cabbage:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 head cabbage, chopped (see notes)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, cut in small rounds or chopped (see notes)
- 2 cup diced lean ham
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (see notes)
- 1 tsp. Beau Monde Seasoning (or any all-purpose seasoning)
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 T dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- coarse ground black pepper to taste (I used a generous amount of pepper)
- 6 cups chicken stock (see notes)
- 2 cup water
- 2 packets Goya Ham Flavor Concentrate or other ham flavor base (optional, but recommended)
- Chop cabbage, onion, red bell pepper, carrots and ham and add to slow cooker.
- Add Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), garlic, parsley, Beau Monde Seasoning, bay leaves and black pepper.
- Pour in chicken stock and water and add Goya Ham Flavor Concentrate. (You may want to add a little salt if you don’t use the ham packets.)
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours, until cabbage is meltingly soft and carrots are tender.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Heat about 1 T of olive oil in a heavy soup pot.
- Add onions and saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add carrots and bell peppers and cook 3-4 minutes more.
- Add cabbage, ham, Spike Seasoning, garlic, parsley, Beau Monde Seasoning, bay leaves and black pepper.
- Pour in chicken stock and water. (You may want to add a little salt if you don’t use ham packets.)
- Simmer soup on low for about 30 minutes, then check to see if you need to add a little more water, adding if needed. Continue to simmer 15-30 minutes more, until cabbage is meltingly soft and carrots are tender.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese if desired.
I used a 3.5-Quart Crock-Pot Slow Cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe. You can use any slow cooker that’s a 3-4 quart size.
You need about 5-6 cups cabbage after chopping. Use less carrots for lowest carbs. Use other all-purpose seasoning mix if you don’t have Spike.
If you don't have ham stock, you can also use chicken or vegetable stock. If you have Goya Ham Flavor Concentrate (affiliate link, add a couple of packets of that to the stock if you’re not using ham stock.
Recipe adapted from Cabbage Soup in Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 1550mgCarbohydrates: 8.5gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 26g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
With all the healthful cabbage and using lean ham, this Slow Cooker Ham and Cabbage Soup is a great choice for the original South Beach Diet, although it would be phase two with the carrots. I think this would still be great without carrots if you wanted to make it for phase one though, maybe adding some chopped celery or even more onion, and leaving out carrots (or using just a few carrots) would make this an even lower-carb soup as well.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.