CrockPot Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Stew (Video)
Try this delicious CrockPot Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Stew for something a bit unusual to make in the slow cooker. This stew is great served over cauliflower rice!
I’m still updating older recipe favorites where I feel the photos are not up to par, and I’m happy to have new photos for this CrockPot Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Stew! The recipe started out as a sweet and spicy pork stew I spotted in Real Simple Magazine years ago, and my version with ground turkey has had quite a few fans through the years.
Of course you know how I am; when I’m updating a recipe I often make a few small changes that I feel will improve it from the original version. In this recipe I originally added a little brown sugar to balance out the flavor of the sweetener, but this time I used Golden Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate link), which I thought was great in this. (Read here about why I like Monk Fruit Sweetener if it’s new to you.) I also upped the amount of turkey for more protein and this time I ate the stew over cauliflower rice instead of the Uncle Ben’s Brown Rice I used in the original recipe.
This recipe cooks on high in the slow cooker and it’s done in about three hours, so it would be a good option to start after lunch on the weekend, and if you’re lucky you might even have some leftovers to eat during the week!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- ground turkey
- olive oil
- orange sweet potatoes
- low-sodium soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- chicken broth
- Golden Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate link), or other sweetener
- Chili Garlic Sauce (affiliate link)
- Minced Ginger (affiliate link)
- Minced Garlic (affiliate link)
- coconut milk
- green onions
How to Make CrockPot Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Stew:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil and cook the ground turkey until it’s nicely browned.
- Spray slow cooker insert with olive oil and put the browned turkey into the slow cooker.
- Then add the other tsp. of oil and brown the onion. Add it to the slow cooker over the turkey.
- While the turkey and onions are browning, peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Mix together the soy sauce, chicken stock, sweetener of your choice, chile garlic sauce (affiliate link), Minced Ginger (affiliate link), and Minced Garlic (affiliate link).
- Add the sweet potatoes to the slow cooker and pour the sauce over.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, or until the sweet potatoes are soft and starting to break apart.
- When sweet potatoes are done, add a can of coconut milk and sliced green onions, turn heat to low, and cook 30 minutes more.
- Make the cauliflower rice (or cook some brown rice) during this time if desired.
- Serve hot over cauliflower rice or cooked brown rice if desired. I like it with more sliced green onions to garnish!
More Tasty Ideas with Ground Turkey:
Taco Turkey Black Bean and Rice Bowls ~ Aggie’s Kitchen
Cheesy Stuffed Poblanos with Ground Turkey ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats ~ It’s Yummi
Asian Lettuce Cups with Spicy Ground Turkey Filling ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
20 Minute Turkey and Bean Soup ~ Rachel Cooks
- 2 lbs. lean ground turkey
- 1 T olive oil (divided)
- 1 small onion, chopped in pieces about 1/2 inch
- 2 large orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces about 1 inch (see notes)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup plus 2 T Golden Monkfruit Sweetener (see notes)
- 2 T Chili Garlic Sauce (see notes)
- 2 tsp. minced ginger (see notes)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic (see notes)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup green onions sliced in 1 inch pieces + more thinly sliced green onion for garnish if desired
- Spray CrockPot with non-stick spray. I used a 3.5 quart CrockPot (affiliate link) for this recipe.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a heavy frying pan and brown the ground turkey, breaking it up with the turner as it cooks. This may take 7-8 minutes but don’t rush the browning step. Put browned meat into the CrockPot.
- Add 1 tsp. more olive oil if you need it and cook the onions until they are soft and lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add onions to the CrockPot.
- While the turkey and onions are cooking, peel the sweet potatoes and cut into pieces about 1 inch square. Add sweet potatoes to the CrockPot.
- Mix together the soy sauce, chicken broth or stock, Golden Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate link), or sweeteners of your choice, Chili Garlic Sauce (affiliate link), minced ginger, and minced garlic and pour over ingredients in the CrockPot.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until sweet potatoes are done and starting to fall apart just a little. (I stirred it a couple of times, but it’s not essential.)
- When the sweet potatoes are done, add the can of coconut milk (affiliate link) and the green onion pieces, turn heat to low, and cook 30 minutes more.
- Serve hot, over cauliflower rice or Uncle Ben’s Brown Rice if desired, and garnished with thinly sliced green onions.
To Make This Recipe with Leftover Turkey: Follow instructions above to cook sweet potatoes in the slow cooker with the sauce, then add 3-4 cups diced leftover chopped turkey about 10-15 minutes before you add the coconut milk.
Sweet potatoes are often called yams or sweet yams in U.S. grocery stores. Two tablespoons of chili-garlic sauce was plenty spicy for me but use more if you prefer! I love this recipe with Golden Monkfruit Sweetener, but use any sweetener you prefer. I used minced ginger from a jar and minced garlic from a jar.
Recipe inspired by Sweet and Spicy Asian Pork Shoulder from Real Simple Magazine.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 547Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 158mgSodium: 1090mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 46g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Sweet potatoes are a low-glycemic ingredient, but they may have too many carbs to make this CrockPot Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Stew suitable for a stricter low-carb eating plan (although check the nutritional info for this lower-carb update). Sweet potatoes also make this recipe limited to phase 2 or 3 on South Beach, and if you’re making this for South Beach, they would recommend lean ground turkey (with less than 10% fat) as well as light coconut milk. Obviously, serving over cauliflower rice would make this lower in carbs, and I think a low-carb version with more turkey and with a low-carb vegetable like red bell pepper, green beans, or broccoli replacing the sweet potatoes would also be really good.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Stew Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!