Asian Lettuce Cups with Spicy Ground Turkey Filling (Video)
Asian Lettuce Cups with Spicy Ground Turkey Filling are a delicious low-carb and gluten-free dinner idea that’s also fun to eat!
Watch the video to see if you want to make
Asian Lettuce Cups with Spicy Ground Turkey Filling!
I vividly remember when I first had lettuce wraps, at a Chinese restaurant in Salt Lake where a friend named Mike was hip enough to order them even though they weren’t on the menu. This was about 20 years ago; now lettuce wraps like these Asian Lettuce Cups (or wraps) with Spicy Ground Turkey Filling are somewhat mainstream, and made with lean ground turkey like this, they make a wonderfully low-carb and gluten-free dinner option. And you can easily adapt them to use ground beef for Keto or use gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos for gluten-free or Paleo.
This dish with spicy meat eaten inside pieces of lettuce can be called lettuce wraps or lettuce cups, but I like to pile up the lettuce cup with lots of filling rather than wrapping it, so I’m calling them lettuce cups.
Steps for Making Asian Lettuce Cups with Spicy Ground Turkey Filling:
(Scroll down for complete recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Start with finely minced red onion (or shallots), garlic, and ginger, which are sauteed in oil before the meat is added.
- Then add ground turkey, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and a touch of fish sauce and saute until the meat is well done and infused with all the other flavors.
- While the ground turkey was cooking, I used the bowl attachment of my Immersion Blender (affiliate link) to finely chop about half a bunch of fresh cilantro. If it was summer and I had herbs from my garden, I might have chopped some fresh mint to garnish the lettuce cups.
- Add the chopped cilantro to the cooked meat mixture and cook a few minutes more.
- Cut out the core from a head of Boston lettuce, butter lettuce, or even iceberg lettuce, wash the lettuce and spin dry, and you’re ready to eat!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
You could make a meal out of these lettuce wraps, but if you want a heartier dinner, Chinese Cucumber Salad would be a good side dish for a low-carb meal.
More Tasty Recipes for Lettuce Wraps:
The BEST Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Lettuce Wraps ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
15+ Low-Carb and Keto Wraps with Lettuce, Collards, and Cabbage ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The BEST Instant Pot Lettuce Wraps ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Weekend Food Prep:
Asian Lettuce Cups with Spicy Ground Turkey Filling have been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 T peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 T minced red onion or shallots
- 2 T minced garlic (I used minced garlic from a jar but fresh garlic would be even better)
- 2 T grated ginger root
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
- 4 T soy sauce (see notes)
- 1 T Chile Garlic Sauce (or slightly more if you like spicy foods)
- 1 tsp. fish sauce (probably optional, although I like fish sauce!)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (see notes)
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts (optional, especially for braces wearers!)
- 1 large head or 2 small heads lettuce (see notes)
- Chop onion and set aside.
- Peel ginger root, then grate with the large side of a cheese grater.
- Then chop garlic if using fresh garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Add onion and saute about 2 minutes.
- Then add garlic and ginger root and saute about one minute more.
- Add ground turkey to frying pan (with a bit more oil if needed) and break apart and spread out with turner.
- Then add soy sauce, Chile Garlic Sauce (affiliate link), and fish sauce.
- Cook until the turkey is brown and crumbling apart, and the sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- While turkey cooks, wash and chop fresh cilantro to make 1 cup.
- Remove the core end from lettuce, separate leaves, and wash in salad spinner and spin dry (or wash under running water and dry with paper towels.)
- Chop peanuts and put in small bowl to serve at the table.
- When turkey is done, add chopped cilantro and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Serve filling and lettuce leaves in separate bowls, with chopped peanuts in another small bowl.
- Each person takes a lettuce leaf, fills with desired amount of turkey mixture, adds chopped peanuts, and then eats the mixture from the lettuce cup. I fold the lettuce cup over when I eat it, so it’s kind of taco-shaped, but some people like to wrap the lettuce clear around the filling.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 845mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
With lean ground turkey and other low-carb ingredients, Asian Lettuce Cups with Spicy Ground Turkey Filling are a perfect dinner option for any phase of the South Beach Diet or other low-carb eating plans. If you use gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce this can easily be suitable for gluten-free or Paleo/Whole 30 eaters. For Keto, you might want to use higher-fat ground beef, which will still be delicious in this recipe.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Lettuce Wraps to see more recipes like this one! Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.