Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Sausage
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Sausage is such a wonderful dinner idea, and while this cooks your house will smell great!
I’ve had a life-long attraction to split pea soup, even though I don’t remember my mother ever making it when I was a kid. Not only do I love the creamy flavor of the split peas, but this type of soup is about as budget-friendly as you can get, and this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Sausage is a healthy dinner that can cook all day while you’re at work. And even though some people don’t like the looks of this type of soup, soup cooking all day and enjoying it on a cold winter night is definitely a beautiful thing.
Any type of chicken or turkey sausage will work in this tasty soup, or use leftover ham if you prefer. I used carrots for a pop of color and flavor, but if you replace the carrots with red bell pepper you can make a lower-carb version of this soup that’s equally delicious. If you’re starting this in the morning to cook all day while you’re working you can do the browning of the sausage and onions the night before and keep them in the fridge overnight. Then throw everything in the slow cooker the next morning and turn it on!
Want More Split Pea Soup Ideas?
There’s a great collection of Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipes on my other site. Also check out Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham and Sweet Potatoes for another tasty split pea soup option!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- dried green split peas
- Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage (or use other types of sausage)
- canned chicken broth (affiliate link)
- Goya Ham Flavor Concentrate (affiliate link) (optional, but it does add a lot of flavor)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
How to Make Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Sausage:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Cut the sausage into fourths lengthwise and then into bite sized pieces and brown the sausage in a non-stick pan. (I used my favorite Green Pan (affiliate link) which didn’t need oil, but you might need a little olive oil with a different pan.)
- Put the browned sausage in the slow cooker I used my Ninja Cooker (affiliate link), but any 5 or 6 quart slow cooker would be fine.
- Then brown the onions and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add two cups green split peas, a generous amount of chopped carrots, chicken stock or broth, water, and a packet of Goya Ham Flavor Concentrate (affiliate link) if using and let the soup cook 8 hours low or 4 hours on high.
- When split peas have disintegrated, check the consistency and add a little water to the soup if desired.
- Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and enjoy!
More Tasty and Budget-Friendly Crockpot Soups:
Slow Cooker Bean Soup with Ham, Spinach, and Thyme ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Taco Soup ~ Tidy Mom
Crockpot Black Bean Chili with Lime and Cilantro ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup with Bacon ~ The Lemon Bowl
Slow Cooker Soup with Turkey, Pinto Beans, Peppers, and Chiles ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 2 cups dried green split peas (do not need soaking)
- 4 links Aidells Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage (or use other types of sausage)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cups chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 cups water
- 1 packet Goya Ham Flavored Concentrate (optional, but it does add a lot of flavor)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Cut sausage lengthwise into fourths, then slice the strips into pieces about 1/2 inch square.
- Brown the sausage in a non-stick pan, stirring occasionally, until sausage pieces are well-browned on all sides, about ten minutes. I didn’t need to add any oil with my Green Pan (affiliate link). If you use a different pan, you might need a bit of olive oil.
- Put browned sausage into crockpot, then brown the chopped onions in the fat left in the pan from the sausage, about five minutes.
- Add browned onions to crockpot, then add split peas, chopped carrots, chicken stock, water, and ham flavored concentrate (affiliate link) if using.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours. If I’m home I usually stir once or twice, but it’s not essential. (You can also cook on high for about 4 hours if you prefer.)
- When all the split peas are disintegrated into the soup, check the consistency to see if you want to add more water. (I added about 2/3 cup more water.)
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper, and serve hot.
- This soup will keep at least a week in the refrigerator, and it also freezes well.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 1042mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Split peas aren’t low in carbs, and since this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Sausage includes carrots, it would be a phase two option for the original South Beach Diet. For a lower-carb version of split pea soup, replace the carrots with red bell pepper. That change would make the soup suitable for South Beach Phase One if you use portion control, but it will still be too high in carbs for other low-carb eating plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Soup Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!