Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Curry Casserole (Video)
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Curry Casserole is an updated version of a tasty favorite, and it’s a perfect way to use leftover chicken or turkey!
The Friday Favorites recipe I’m featuring this week is this amazing Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Curry Casserolethat seems to have been a hit with just about every one who’s tried it. And there’s a fun story too, about just this recipe morphed into the version you see here.
Year ago I came across a long-forgotten recipe for Chicken Broccoli Curry Casserole w-a-y back in the archives. I remembered how much I used to like it, but it had canned soup, so I set out on a quest to make an updated version of the recipe without using soup. It took several tries (involving both Jake and Kara) to come up with a version we considered a wow, but when Kara and I made the Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Curry Casserole you see in these photos, we absolutely loved it!
We did make this into a recipe that’s higher in fat than the original version, which is why I called it cheesy! The updated version is also lower in carbs, and makes more servings than the version with canned soup. Both versions call for chicken breasts that you cook in water or stock with seasonings, but if you have leftover rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey you can use that instead. We used a moderate amount of curry powder hoping Kara’s kids would eat it, but if you’re a big curry fan, you can always use more. And if the indulgent amount of cheese we used seems like too much for you, this will definitely be good with less cheese.
And, I always hate to delete an older recipe, even if I don’t make it that way any more, so here is the original recipe, in case anyone was a fan of that version. You can also check out Low-Carb and Keto Recipes for Leftover Turkey or Chicken if you’d like more ideas using cooked chicken.
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Curry Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Poach four chicken breasts in water or stock with some poultry seasoning and thyme, then shred the chicken apart. (You can also use 4-5 cups leftover rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey.)
- Cut broccoli into bite-sized pieces and cook in the microwave until it’s barely tender-crisp. (Drain it after cooking if it seems very wet.)
- Whisk together mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, sweet curry powder, and hot curry powder.
- Then mix in the grated cheese and Parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray a 9″ X 13″ casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Put shredded chicken and barely cooked broccoli into the casserole dish, stir to combine, and season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Use a rubber scraper to spread the cheesy curry topping over the chicken and broccoli and top with more grated cheese.
- Bake the Creamy Cheesy Low-Carb Chicken Broccoli Curry Casserole at 375F for 35-40 minutes, or until it’s nicely browned and bubbling hot.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
More Tasty Casseroles to Try for Dinner:
Cheesy Low-Carb Taco Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole ~ Oh Sweet Basil
20+ Deliciously Healthy Low-Carb Casserole Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Bacon Cheeseburger Cauliflower Casserole ~ Sugar-Free Mom
Slow Cooker Casserole Recipes Photo Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Low-Carb Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into lengthwise strips
- 1 tsp. poultry season
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- water or chicken stock to cover the chicken while cooking. (see notes)
- 6 cups bite-sized broccoli pieces
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 T lemon juice (see notes)
- 2 tsp. sweet curry powder
- 1 tsp. hot curry powder (Use any combination of curry powders you prefer.)
- 3 cups grated Three Cheese Blend (Use less cheese if you prefer of course.)
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C. Spray a 9" x 13" glass or crockery casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Trim chicken breasts and cut each breast into 3 or 4 lengthwise strips. Put chicken strips into a saucepan, add water or chicken stock to cover by an inch or so, add the poultry seasoning and dried thyme, and bring the chicken to a low boil.
- As soon as the water starts to boil, turn heat as low as it will go and cook the chicken for 12-15 minutes, or until it's firm.
- Drain chicken into a colander placed in the sink. When it’s cool enough to handle, use two forks to shred the chicken strips apart into bite-sized pieces. (If you have leftover rotisserie chicken you can use 4-5 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken instead of cooking your own chicken.)
- While the chicken cooks, cut up enough broccoli to make 6 cups of bite-sized broccoli pieces. Put the broccoli into a large glass bowl or large 8-cup glass measuring cup, cover with cling-wrap, and microwave on high about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. (You want the broccoli still quite crisp; it will cook in the oven.)
- Drain the broccoli into a colander if it seems very wet. (You can steam the broccoli if you prefer, but be sure it is drained well before you add it to the casserole.)
- Whisk together the mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, sweet curry powder, and hot curry powder in a small mixing bowl or 4 cup glass measuring cup. (If you're a curry fan, you might want to taste at this point and see if you want a little more curry powder.)
- Then mix in 1 1/2 cups of the grated cheese blend and the Parmesan cheese.
- Put the shredded chicken and barely-cooked broccoli into the casserole dish and gently stir so ingredients are evenly distributed. Use a rubber scraper to spread the cheesy creamy topping over the chicken/broccoli mixture. Top with the other 1 1/2 cups grated cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling hot and the cheese is nicely browned on top. Serve hot.
You can also use 4-5 cups shredded rotisserie chicken to make this recipe. I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice for this recipe.
This recipe first appeared on Kalyn's Kitchen as a Chicken Broccoli Curry Casserole made with canned soup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 585Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 15gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 600mgCarbohydrates: 6.8gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 37g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Curry Casserole is definitely great for low-carb or low-glycemic diets. If you’re following the South Beach Diet guidelines about fat, you may want to reduce the amount of cheese and use lower-fat mayo and sour cream to make this suitable for South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.