Slow Cooker Buttery Butternut Squash for a Crowd
This four-ingredient Slow Cooker Buttery Butternut Squash for a Crowd is a tasty side dish that’s easy and delicious. If you enjoy butternut squash you’re going to love this method of cooking it in the slow cooker!
When most food bloggers start getting excited about pumpkin season, I’m eyeing the butternut squash in the store and eagerly looking forward to Roasted Butternut Squash, and I’m such a butternut squash fan that I even have a post featuring My Top Ten Vegetarian Butternut Squash Recipes.I learned to love butternut squash from my Grandmother Denny, who cut up the squash into serving size pieces, scraped out the seeds, wrapped it in foil, and roasted it until it was soft.
I like to cut my butternut squash into cubes before I roast it, and I love roasted butternut squash that’s just tossed with olive oil and maybe some balsamic vinegar and roasted. But my grandma always served it with lots of melting butter, salt, and pepper, and I think I was channeling her when I came up with this Slow Cooker Buttery Butternut Squash for a Crowd.
This idea for butternut squash cubes “roasted” in the slow cooker also came from the Spicy CrockPot Sweet Potatoes that I loved when I made them in my Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker. You can also use a large oval slow cooker to cook this butternut squash recipe, but I love how the casserole crock can go in the oven for 15-20 minutes to brown the edges, and it worked perfectly here.
Yes, I did use an indulgent amount of butter, because in my mind this is a special occasion recipe, but if you want to use less butter you certainly can. I also think you could skip the butter and toss the cut squash with olive oil or coconut oil before you slow cook it if you want a vegan version.
And of course I can’t see through the computer so if you use pre-cut butternut squash cubes from the store I’m never going to know, but I promise that the squash you cut yourself has better flavor. But no matter how you make this slow cooker buttery butternut squash, if you like butternut squash even half as much as I do, you’re going to love this for a treat!
Peeling and Cutting up the Butternut Squash:
Follow my instructions for How to Peel and Cut Up a Butternut Squash, if you haven’t done this before.
How to Make Slow Cooker Buttery Butternut Squash for a Crowd:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Cut the butternut squash into manageable sized pieces and then peel and scrape out seeds.
- Cut the squash into pieces, making cubes that are 1-2 inches in size. Cutting up the squash is the only part of the recipe that takes any time.
- Spray the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link) or other large slow cooker with non-stick spray, add the squash cubes, dot with pieces of butter, and season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Cook on high for about 3 hours, or until the squash is soft.
- I mashed the cooked squash with an old-fashioned potato masher (affiliate link), browned it a little in a 400F/200C oven, then added a little more butter when I served it.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
More Butternut Squash Goodness:
Roasted Butternut Squash with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Butternut Squash Alfredo Sauce ~ Crunchy Creamy Sweet
Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash with Sweet Paprika ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Simple Lentil Curry with Butternut Squash ~ Bless This Mess
Roasted Butternut Squash Wedges with Tahini-Yogurt Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Butternut Squash and Smoky Black Bean Kale Salad ~ Eats Well with Others
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 large whole butternut squash, 4-5 pounds before cutting (see notes)
- 1 stick butter (see notes)
- salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
- If you're never cut up a big squash like this, I'd read How to Peel and Cut Up a Butternut Squash before you start. Cut the squash into pieces to make it easier to handle, then scrape out seeds, peel with a vegetable peeler, cut into strips, and cut into cubes.
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick spray, add the squash cubes in an even layer, dot with desired amount of butter, season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper, and cook on HIGH for about 3 hours (or until squash feels soft when you pierce it with a fork.)
- If you want a vegan version or don't want to use butter, toss the cut squash cubes with 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil, season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper, and cook as above.
- When the squash is soft, I recommend you mash it with a potato masher and then put the Casserole Crock into a 400F/200C oven to brown the edges (and dry it out slightly), but this is definitely optional. (Be sure your slow cooker can go in the oven if you don't have the Casserole Crock!)
- Serve hot, with additional butter added just before serving if desired.
- This will keep in the fridge for a day or two and can be frozen, although freezing changes the texture a bit and I prefer it when it's just been refrigerated.
I used the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link) to cook this butternut squash, but you can use a large oval slow cooker if that's what you have. You might have to skip the final step of browning the squash in the oven if your slow cooker insert is not oven-safe; check the manufacturer's information.
Choose a squash that has a long neck and short body if you can. Use more or less butter to taste, or toss the cut squash cubes with olive oil or coconut oil if you prefer a vegan version.
Butternut squash is not low in carbs, but it does have quite a bit of fiber and has a moderate glycemic index ranking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6.3gUnsaturated Fat: 3.5gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 9.1gSugar: 5.6gProtein: 2.7g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Butternut squash isn’t suitable for low-carb diets, but it’s approved for Phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach diet (without butter!) It’s an occasional indulgence for me, although butternut squash has a medium glycemic index, but a low glycemic load. Slow Cooker Buttery Butternut Squash for a Crowd is a dish where I’d watch my portion size, especially for this version with butter.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dishes or Butternut Squash Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click for Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!