Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Soy Sauce and Butter
We loved this Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Soy Sauce and Butter, and this recipe can be gluten-free with gluten-free Oyster Sauce and Soy Sauce.
Even before I start writing about it, I know that Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Soy Sauce and Butter is going to be a tough sell with some of you. But it would be really sad if you never tried this tasty side dish, because when we made the recipe recently to take new photos, Jake and I absolutely inhaled it and then spent about 5 minutes talking about how good it was. And how we wished we had more.
Seriously, this was quick, easy, delicious, and really healthy despite the word butter in the title! You’ll want to look for Gluten-Free Oyster Sauce (affiliate link) and Gluten-Free Soy Sauce (affiliate link) if you need gluten-free (and if you’re a vegetarian you could substitute a vegetarian stir-fry sauce for the Oyster Sauce, but most of the ingredients here except the bok choy are things you’ll already have on hand.
You may want to read my Tips for Stir-Fry Cooking before you make this, although seriously it is about as easy as you could imagine. And as I said, Jake and I wished we had made more, so go ahead and double it if you’d like!
Easy Steps for Making Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Soy Sauce and Butter:
(This is just a summary; scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Mix the water, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Oyster Sauce.
- Chop the bok choy into smallish pieces (and wash in salad spinner and spin dry if it needs it.)
- Heat the wok or frying pan until it’s very hot.
- Then add the peanut oil and let it heat about 30 seconds.
- Add the bok choy and stir-fry about 2 minutes.
- Then add the soy sauce mixture and the butter and cook about 1-2 minutes more.
- That’s it! Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve hot!
More Stir-Fried Vegetable Recipes!
Garlic-Lover’s Vegetable Stir-Fry ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Sichuan Bok Choy Stir-Fry ~ The Wanderlust Kitchen
World’s Easiest Garlicky Green Beans Stir-Fry ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Bok Choy Stir Fry with Ginger and Garlic ~ The Perfect Pantry
Stir-Fried Broccoli with Oyster Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
5-Minute Stir-Fried Cabbage ~ Cookin’ Canuck
- 2 T water
- 2 tsp. soy sauce (see notes)
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 T oyster sauce (see notes)
- 1 T vegetable oil (see notes)
- 2 heads head Bok Choy, ends trimmed and cut crosswise into strips and washed if needed
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1 T butter
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish, optional but recommended
- Combine water, soy sauce, sesame oil, and oyster sauce and set aside.
- Heat wok or heavy frying pan until very hot, about 1-2 minutes, then add oil and heat about 30 seconds more.
- Add bok choy and salt and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce mixture and butter and stir fry 1-2 minutes more, until bok choy is still slightly crisp, but getting tender.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 612mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Oyster sauce has some carbs, but the amount per serving is very small and I’d consider this to be suitable for low-carb diet plans. I’d also eat it for any phase of the South Beach Diet, despite the small amount of butter (which isn’t recommended for South Beach.)
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Stir-Fry Recipes to find more recipes like this one.Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.