Cheesy Zucchini and Basil Strata (Video)
Cheesy Zucchini and Basil Strata is a tasty low-carb breakfast casserole or side dish made with giant zucchinis that show up in the garden! Use regular zucchini if that’s what you have, but this is a perfect dish when you have zucchini and fresh basil!
This Cheesy Zucchini and Basil Strata is a beloved zucchini recipe that I’m updating with better photos, and I couldn’t resist making the recipe just a bit more cheesy for the updated version. Of course I can’t see you through the computer, so use more or less cheese, whichever you prefer.
The old recipe also used to say “monster zucchini” in the title, and through the years I realized that people who haven’t grown zucchini themselves may wonder if monster zucchini is a new zucchini variety! Of course anyone who’s had a garden knows about those monster zucchini that hide under the leaves, and this recipe was a great way to use them by cutting the zucchini into lengthwise strips, scraping off the seeds, and then cutting the long pieces into short slices.
If you use that method you can get away with making this with one really huge zucchini. Of course you can make it with regular-sized zucchini from the grocery store too! This is another recipe I made when I had friends volunteering as recipe testers, and it was a big hit with everyone who tried it!
Zucchini and Basil Strata has eggs and is delicious as a breakfast casserole, but I also think the combination of zucchini+basil+cheese (that’s so popular in my Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake) makes this perfect as a zucchini side dish as well. This dish is something I’ve been enjoying for years, and it’s the perfect thing to make whenever you have zucchini and fresh basil!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- olive oil
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) or other all-purpose seasoning blend
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- chopped fresh basil
- grated Mozzarella cheese
- grated Monterey Jack cheese
- coarsely grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
What is a Strata?
According to Wikipedia, “Strata is a family of layered casserole dishes in American cuisine. The most common modern variant is a brunch dish, made from a mixture which mainly consists of bread, eggs and cheese.” My low-carb strata with zucchini, basil, and cheese doesn’t use any bread of course, but it’s still delicious!
More Ideas for Zucchini with Basil:
For everyone with zucchini and fresh basil in the garden, you might like to try Zucchini with Pesto, Zucchini Carpaccio, Italian Beef Stew with Zucchini, Mushrooms, and Basil, or Zucchini Noodle Mock Pasta Salad.
How to make Cheesy Zucchini and Basil Strata:
(Scroll down for the complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Whether you use one monster zucchini or several average-sized ones, the process of preparing them is mostly the same.
- If you have a monster zucchini, start by cutting the zucchini in half crosswise to get two manageable size pieces. (You can skip this step for smaller zucchini.)
- Then trim off the ends and cut each zucchini (or each half of the monster zucchini) lengthwise into fourths (or sixths for a monster zucchini if it’s really enormous.)
- Cut away the seeds on each piece, leaving about 3/8 inch of the white flesh.
- Then cut the strips into slices.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Then add the zucchini and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) (or any all-purpose seasoning of your choice) and chopped basil and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste. (The zucchini will be barely starting to soften.)
- Spray a 9″ x 12″ casserole dish with olive oil or non-stick spray and then arrange the zucchini, Mozzarella, and Monterey Jack Cheese in a single layer. (Don’t use a smaller dish; you want the zucchini peeking above the egg/cheese mixture just a little.)
- Beat the eggs with the 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan.
- Pour eggs over the zucchini and sprinkle with the other 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan. (I can be finicky, so I use a fork to get the zucchini evenly arranged in the dish!)
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until the mixture is well set and lightly browned on top.
- Serve hot! This is great to make on the weekend and reheat during the week for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
More Interesting Ideas with Zucchini:
Slow Cooker Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep where you’ll find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 large zucchini, 14-16 inches long (see notes)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1-2 tsp. Spike Seasoning
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil (or more if you're a fan and have a lot of basil)
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese (If you only have finely grated Parmesan I would use a little less)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- Use a 9 X 12 glass casserole dish for this and spray with olive oil or nonstick spray
- Wash zucchini, then cut off ends (and if using monster zucchini cut in half crosswise to get manageable sized pieces.)
- Cut each zucchini or each half of the monster zucchini into fourths (or sixths) lengthwise.
- Use a spoon or small knife to scrape away the seeds and most of the white inside, leaving about 3/8 inch of white attached to the skin.
- Then cut each strip crosswise into slices about 3/8 inch wide.
- Heat olive oil in large nonstick frying pan, add zucchini and saute 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and fresh basil and saute 2-3 minutes more.
- Seasoning the zucchini with salt and fresh ground black pepper. (Zucchini should be barely starting to soften when you turn off the heat.)
- Put zucchini into casserole dish and top with the Mozzarella and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Combine eggs and 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan or Asiago and beat well.
- Pour egg mixture over zucchini and cheese and gently stir so it’s well combined, with some zucchini pieces “peeking” out of the egg.
- Sprinkle the other 1/2 cup Parmesan or Asiago over top.
- Bake 3o-35 minutes, or until the mixture is well set and slightly browned on top.
- Serve hot, with a little sour cream if desired.
If you use small or medium zucchini you need about 6 cups sliced zucchini strips.
The flavors in this dish are similar to Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake, which might have been the recipe that inspired it, but I've been making this so long I can't remember for sure. Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 258mgSodium: 457mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
South Beach Diet / Low-Carb Diet Suggestions:
Cheesy Zucchini and Basil Strata would be a good side dish or main dish for any type of low-glycemic or low-carb eating plan, including Keto. This updated version with more cheese may be a bit high in fat for the original South Beach Diet, which would recommend low-fat cheese, but use less cheese if you prefer. As a main dish, I’d happily eat this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Zucchini Recipes for more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2005, and I’ve been making it every year since then! The recipe was last updated with more information in 2022.