Zucchini Carpaccio or Raw Zucchini Salad with Lemon, Herbs, and Goat Cheese
Use small fresh-from the garden zucchini to make Zucchini Carpaccio or Raw Zucchini Salad with Lemon, Herbs, and Goat Cheese. And this delicious Zucchini Carpaccio is low-carb, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet friendly. Check Zucchini Recipes for more ideas for using up that garden zucchini!
I’ve been seeing small perfect zucchini at the farmer’s market for the last two weeks now, so it seems like a perfect time to make this Zucchini Carpaccio or Raw Zucchini Salad with Lemon, Herbs, and Goat Cheese. This is a dish I’ve been intrigued by since I first heard about the idea of thinly slicing zucchini and then marinating it in a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice, so I have no idea why it’s taken me so long to try it.
It was the Carpaccio of Raw Zucchini from Sidewalk Shoes that finally pushed this dish to the top of my list. Pam used a recipe from Tyler Florence, but I ended up making my own version, heavy on lemon and herbs, and with the addition of a little goat cheese, since I’m always in favor of goat cheese in a salad!
This is a recipe you should adjust to your own taste, and I love lemon, which is why I used lots of lemon juice and zest in the dressing. This time I used dill and chives for the herbs, but I think fresh basil, mint, or parsley would also taste great here. If you’re adapting the recipe, be generous with the amount of dressing to be sure the zucchini all gets marinated, and also add a generous amount of herbs.
I used the 1.5 mm blade in my mandoline to slice the zucchini, making slices that were between 1/8 – 1/16 inch thick. Many recipes call for slices that are “paper-thin” but I opted for just a tiny bit thicker, so the finished salad had a hint of crunch to the zucchini. You can slice by hand if you don’t have a mandoline. Layer the zucchini in a serving dish, adding ground sea salt and ground black pepper to each layer. (I used a sea salt grinder from Costco for the salt.) Remove all the zest from one lemon, and put in a small dish. Then squeeze all the lemon juice into the dish, catching and discarding any seeds. (This is a generous amount of lemon zest, so if you don’t love lemon as much as I do, you might prefer less.)
Then whisk 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil into the lemon zest and juice. This may seem like a lot of olive oil, but you’re only eating the amount that sticks to the zucchini. Pour the dressing over the zucchini slices and let it marinate 15-30 minutes, while you chop the herbs and make the rest of your dinner. When you’re ready to serve, sprinkle with 3-4 T of chopped herbs and then crumble over 2 T of goat cheese. (You could also use Feta, Ricotta, or Parmesan if you’re not a goat cheese fan.)
Make it a Meal:
More Zucchini Recipes You Might Like:
The BEST Slow Cooker Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Carpaccio of Raw Zucchini ~ Sidewalk Shoes
50 Amazing Zucchini Recipes (for Sneak Some Zucchini On To Your Neighbor’s Porch Day ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Zucchini Carpaccio Salad with Lemon, Herbs, and Goat Cheese
Use small fresh-from the garden zucchini to make Zucchini Carpaccio or Raw Zucchini Salad with Lemon, Herbs, and Goat Cheese.
- 2 medium or 3 small zucchini, washed and thinly sliced into rounds, leaving skin on (I used a mandoline for slices that were 1.5 mm thick)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste (I used ground sea salt)
- 1 lemon (use all the zest and juice, and I would choose a large lemon)
- 1/4 cup best quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 T chopped dill
- 2 T thinly sliced chives
(Other herbs such as basil, mint, or parsley can be used. I would use 3-4 T of herbs, no matter which ones you choose.)
- 2 T crumbled goat cheese (could also use Feta, Ricotta, or Parmesan cheese for a slightly different version)
- Wash zucchini and dry with paper towel or dishcloth, then thinly slice into rounds, using a mandoline or sharp chef’s knife. (I used the 1.5 mm size for my mandoline.)
- Arrange the zucchini slices on a serving platter (either in a single layer or in several layers) and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. (If you make several layers of zucchini, be sure to season each layer.)
- Wash the lemon and dry with paper towels or dish towel, then cut off ends of the lemon and discard.
- Zest the rest of the lemon skin and put lemon zest in a small dish. Squeeze all the lemon juice into the dish with the zest, discarding seeds. (If you don’t get at least 2 T lemon juice I’d use two lemons.)
- Whisk 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil into the lemon zest/juice mixture, then pour the dressing over the zucchini slices.
- Let zucchini marinate for 15-30 minutes while you prep other ingredients or make the rest of dinner.
- Wash herbs and spin dry or dry with paper towel, then chop herbs.
- When you’re ready to serve the salad, sprinkle with chopped herbs and goat cheese and serve immediately. (Don’t take the goat cheese out of the fridge until right before you’re ready to serve it or it won’t crumble.)
Adapted from many zucchini carpaccio recipes; look after the recipe for other versions.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Everything about this salad is perfect for all phases of the South Beach Diet, or any other low-glycemic or low-carb eating plan. Goat cheese is relatively high in fat, but there is only a small amount, and olive oil is a “good fat” for South Beach (plus, more than half the olive oil will be left on the plate, so you’re not eating that much oil.) For other low-carb diets, the extra fat is just a plus.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.