Broiled Zucchini with Mozzarella and Pepperoni (Video)
My sister Val’s Kid-Friendly Broiled Zucchini with Mozzarella and Pepperoni is delicious, and it’s a fun way to cook zucchini! And this is a low-carb zucchini recipe the whole family will enjoy! Skip the pepperoni if you want a meatless version.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Val’s Kid Friendly Broiled Zucchini with Mozzarella and Pepperoni!
Val’s Kid-Friendly Broiled Zucchini with Mozzarella and Pepperoni is a recipe that has evolved through the years into a hugely popular zucchini recipe on Kalyn’s Kitchen, and zucchini season is starting, so I’m today I’m reminding you about this absolutely easy and tasty way to cook zucchini.
It was back in 2008 when my sister Val first shared her method of broiling seasoned zucchini with cheese and guaranteed me that all her very cute kids would gobble up zucchini when it was cooked this way. I made her easy cheesy zucchini many times through the years and agreed it was delicious, so if pepperoni is not your jam, just leave it off and make the original cheesy version.
But when I decided to update the recipe with better photos with my niece Kara, we hit on the idea of giving the kid-friendly broiled zucchini more of a pizza twist. That’s how the recipe morphed into Val’s Kid-Friendly Broiled Zucchini with Mozzarella and Pepperoni. And wow. What a great idea it was to add some Italian herb seasoning to the zucchini and throw on a few slices of pepperoni after the cheese had broiled a few minutes.
Kara and I both loved these slices of still slightly-crisp zucchini topped with melted cheese and pepperoni. She thought this would be great to make for kids as a quick snack or an easy dinner, and I’ve already made it again as an easy lunch for myself.
Want more ideas for using zucchini?
For gardeners who are starting to get too much zucchini and are looking for Zucchini Recipes I do have a good collection of them from my own years of trying to keep up with the garden zucchini! And even now that I have to buy my zucchini at the Farmer’s Market, it’s still one of my favorite summer ingredients, and I enjoy making my favorite zucchini recipes over and over every year!
How to Make Broiled Zucchini with Mozzarella and Pepperoni:
(This is just a summary of the steps shown in the photo; scroll down for complete recipe.)
- Technique is important in a simple recipe like this one. If you can, use a mandoline (affiliate link) to slice the zucchini so you get slices that are an equal 3/8 inch thick.
- Be sure to pre-heat the broiler and spray the pan with oil or non-stick spray before you put the zucchini slices on.
- Season zucchini with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and Italian Herb Seasoning (affiliate link) before you sprinkle on the cheese. I like a generous amount of cheese, but adjust to your preference for that.
- Broil the zucchini topped with cheese for about 3 minutes, then sprinkle on the half-slices of pepperoni if using and broil about 3-4 minutes more.
- That’s it! Serve Val’s Kid-Friendly Broiled Zucchini with Mozzarella and Pepperoni while it’s hot, and I bet the big and little eaters at your house will gobble this up in a hurry!
More Tasty Ideas for Using Up the Zucchini:
- 4 zucchini, about 8 inches long (see notes)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or your favorite season salt)
- 1 tsp. Italian Herb Blend (or your favorite herb seasoning)
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (more or less to taste)
- 20 slices pepperoni, cut in half
- Preheat broiler and put rack into middle position or about 4 inches away from broiler.
- Wash zucchini and cut off ends.
- Cut into slices about 3/8 inches wide, using a mandoline (affiliate link) if you have one. It’s important that all zucchini slices are same width so they can cook evenly.
- Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Cover baking sheet completely with zucchini rounds, putting them as close together as possible.
- Sprinkle each zucchini piece with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and Italian Herb Seasoning (affiliate link) or use whatever seasoning salt or spices you have on hand.
- Completely cover top of zucchini with grated cheese.
- Broil until cheese is starting to melt, about 3 minutes.
- Cut pepperoni slices in half while the cheese is starting to melt, then sprinkle the cut pepperoni slices over the partially melted cheese.
- Broil about 3-4 minutes more, or until the pepperoni is slightly crisped and the cheese is starting to brown.
- Serve immediately.
You can use three larger zucchini as well, but same size zucchini works best so they cook in the same amount of time.
This recipe is from my sister Valerie.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 597mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Broiled Zucchini with Mozzarella and Pepperoni is suitable for low-carb and low-glycemic eating plans. With higher-fat cheese and regular pepperoni, this recipe would be good for low-carb and Keto eating plans. Use low-fat mozzarella and turkey pepperoni for the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Zucchini Recipes or Kid Friendly to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there..