Roasted Summer Squash with Lemon, Mint, and Feta
Roasted Summer Squash with Lemon, Mint, and Feta features summer squash that’s roasted with lemon and mint and tossed with Feta cheese. It’s an amazing flavor combination, and this tasty dish is low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, South Beach Diet friendly, and meatless!
Mint is a perennial herb that lots of gardeners love to hate, but I’ve been a mint fan for many years now and I even shared my ideas for Cooking with Fresh Mint in a post a few years back. Two things I know about growing mint: (1) Be sure it’s planted in a spot where it’s completely contained by some kind of barrier or it will take over everything in its path! (2) Mint is very hardy, and if you have mint growing you’re probably searching for ways to use it by mid summer.
And we’re just heading into that “what to do with zucchini” season, so it seems like a perfect time to remind you about this Roasted Summer Squash with Lemon, Mint, and Feta. This is a recipe where the unique preparation method really spotlights the flavor of mint, so even if you think you’re not a mint fan, please consider trying it!
The idea of roasting zucchini with lemon and chopped fresh mint came from a recipe I found in Vegetable Love, and I was skeptical about the idea of roasting mint, but it definitely worked! I’ve made this quite a few times, and through the years I started using lots more mint than the original recipe called for. And then one time I had the idea of tossing the finished dish with a generous amount of crumbled Feta cheese, which definitely kicked it up several notches.
If you’re a vegetarian you can find more meatless main dishes or side dishes with the photo-index pages for Meatless Recipes or Vegan Recipes. And you also might like my Meatless Monday Pinterest Board with meatless recipe ideas from food bloggers all around the web!
Cut up the zucchini and/or summer squash into strips about two inches long. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, chopped mint, and salt. Put the squash in a bowl and toss with the mint mixture, then spread it out on a baking sheet, in a single layer as much as possible. (Mine is a bit too crowded! It’s best to have some space between the squash even if you need to use two baking sheets.)
Roast the squash about 35-45 minutes (or until it has browned to your liking), turning every 15 minutes or so. When the squash is down, toss it with the crumbled Feta.
Season to taste with fresh ground black pepper and serve hot or at room temperature.
More Delicious Ideas for Summer Squash:
The BEST Slow Cooker Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Summer Squash Pancakes with Creamy Goat Cheese Dressing ~ Nutmeg Nanny
Kalyn’s Top Ten Most Popular Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Healthy Zucchini, Tomato, and Yellow Squash Gratin ~ Cookin’ Canuck
50 Amazing Zucchini Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Summer Squash with Lemon, Mint, and Feta
Roasted Summer Squash with Lemon, Mint, and Feta features summer squash that’s roasted with lemon and mint and tossed with Feta cheese.
- 5-6 yellow summer squash or zucchini, about 8 inches long
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (I use my fresh-frozen lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup very finely chopped mint, or more (measure after chopping)
- salt to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp.)
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese (more or less to taste)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 475 F, and put oven rack as high as it will go. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Wash squash and cut off stem and flower ends.
- Cut each squash into quarters lengthwise, then cut into pieces about 2 inches long.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, mint and salt ; then put that mixture into a plastic bowl and toss squash with the mixture.
- Arrange squash on roasting pan, in a single layer as much as possible. (I would recommend using two baking sheets if it seems really crowded.)
- Roast squash, turning every 15-20 minutes, until slightly browned and cooked to your liking. I turned my squash twice, with a total cooking time of 45 minutes, but I would start checking after 35 minutes.
- When the squash is done, put it back into the same bowl and toss with the Feta cheese.
- Season with fresh-ground black pepper to taste. This can be served hot or at room temperature.
This recipe adapted from Vegetable Love.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Roasted Summer Squash with Lemon, Mint, and Feta is a perfect low-carb or Keto side dish that would be great for any phase of the South Beach Diet. If you omit the Feta cheese the recipe could also be Paleo or Whole 30 approved, as well as vegan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.