Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl
Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl can be made in the Slow Cooker or the Instant Pot and this is perfect for an easy low-carb dinner!
We had a little break from Cabbage Recipes on Monday because I simply had to share the new recipe for Baked Mayo Parmesan Fish since so many people are avoiding red meat this time of year. But then I was at the grocery store and noticed the cabbage is still $.49 a pound! And I immediately wanted to remind you about one or two more good ideas for using cabbage while it’s so inexpensive.
It’s the Blue Cheese Coleslaw that I’m so fond of that inspired this Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl and that easy coleslaw is the cabbage bowl part of this recipe.
But needless to say, I loved the crisp coleslaw with the buffalo chicken in this dish. Everything about this recipe is easy and the combination of hot buffalo chicken plus cooling coleslaw makes such a great burst of flavor.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth (affiliate link)
- Poultry Seasoning (affiliate link)
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (affiliate link)
- olive oil
- Worcestershire Sauce or Gluten-Free Worcestershire Sauce (affiliate link)
- Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) sauce or other green hot sauce
- Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate link), or sweetener of your choice
- blue cheese dressing
- green cabbage
- red cabbage
- green onion
- Celery Seed (affiliate link)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- crumbled blue cheese for serving
What kind of blue cheese dressing do I use?
I’m a huge fan of Litehouse brand Blue Cheese Dressing, and that’s the kind I always use for this recipe. But if you have a good recipe for homemade blue cheese, that will only make it better!
What if you’re not a cabbage fan?
The idea for this recipe is similar to my Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Rice Bowl that can also be made in the slow cooker or the pressure cooker, and if you’re not a cabbage fan you might like that one instead.
Want to make the Buffalo Chicken in the Instant Pot?
The photos in this post show how to make this tasty cabbage bowl in the slow cooker, but if you’d prefer to use an Instant Pot to make the buffalo chicken, check out my recipe for Low-Carb Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Blue Cheese Coleslaw. Make the buffalo chicken as described in that recipe and just serve it in a bowl meal!
Want more ideas for low-carb bowl meals?
You can check out Low-Carb Bowl Meals You’ll Make Over and Over for more tasty bowl recipes like this one.
How to make Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe and link to Instant Pot instructions.)
- Trim chicken breasts and cut them in half lengthwise; place chicken in slow cooker.
- Add the stock/herb mixture and cook on high about 3 hours, or until the chicken shreds apart easily with a fork.
- Drain the chicken in a colander, and discard the stock.
- Mix together Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (affiliate link), olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), and sweetener of your choice.
- Shred chicken apart with two forks and put back in slow cooker; then mix in the sauce.
- Cook about 30 minutes on high while you make the slaw.
- I used a Mandoline Slicer (affiliate link) to get thinly sliced cabbage for this dish, but you can also thinly slice the cabbage with a knife.
- Follow instructions for Blue Cheese Coleslaw for the slaw.
- To serve, put a generous amount of blue cheese coleslaw into a bowl and top with some of the shredded chicken mixture. Sprinkle with some crumbled blue cheese and enjoy!
More Tasty Chicken Recipe Ideas:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep where you’ll find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Buffalo Chicken Ingredients:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Poultry Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 cup Franks Red Hot Sauce (see Notes)
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce (see notes)
- 2 tsp. Green Tabasco sauce or other green hot sauce (optional, but good)
- 1 T sweetener of your choice
- 6 T thick blue cheese dressing (See notes.)
- 3 T low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 large head green cabbage, thinly sliced and then chopped
- 1/2 large head red cabbage, thinly sliced and then chopped
- 1/2 cup thickly sliced green onion
- 2 tsp. celery seed
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese for serving (see notes)
- Trim chicken breasts and cut into half lengthwise.
- Spray the slow cooker insert with olive oil or non-stick spray and place chicken in the slow cooker.
- Mix the chicken stock, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder and pour over the chicken.
- Cook on high for about 3 hours or until chicken shreds apart easily with a fork.
- When chicken is tender, drain in a colander placed in the sink, discarding the stock the chicken was cooked in.
- Let chicken cool for a few minutes so it’s easier to handle, then shred chicken apart with two forks. (You can rinse the chicken before you shred it if you prefer, but I didn’t worry about it.)
- Mix Frank’s Hot Sauce, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), and sweetener of your choice.
- Put the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and pour the sauce over, stirring gently to combine the chicken and sauce.
- Cook on high while you follow instructions to prepare Ridiculously Easy Blue Cheese Coleslaw, adding more blue cheese crumbles to the coleslaw mixture if desired.
- To serve put a generous amount of slaw into a bowl and top with a scoop of the buffalo chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle crumbled blue cheese over the top and serve.
- If this recipe makes more than you’ll eat at one time, I recommend refrigerating the cabbage mixture, dressing, and buffalo chicken separately. Then when you want to make a Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl heat the chicken, mix some dressing into the slaw, and serve.
- If you prefer to use an Instant Pot or pressure cooker to make the buffalo chicken, use my recipe for Pressure Cooker Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Blue Cheese Coleslaw and just serve as a bowl instead of as tacos.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 1468mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 36g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl is a perfect recipe for Low-Carb diets. Blue cheese is relatively high in fat for the South Beach Diet, but if you use my suggested recipe to reduce the fat content in the Blue Cheese Coleslaw and use a moderate amount of blue cheese crumbles, I’d eat this for any phase of South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more ideas like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest or on Facebook to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.