Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl
Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl can be made in the Slow Cooker or the Instant Pot and this is a low-carb Buffalo Chicken Bowl! And if you have family members who don’t care about carbs, they could eat the tasty buffalo chicken on a bun!
PIN the Buffalo Chicken Bowl recipe to try it later!
It’s the Blue Cheese Coleslaw that I’m so fond of that inspired this Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl and that easy coleslaw is the cabbage bowl part of this recipe. And I think everyone who loves the idea of a buffalo chicken bowl and likes cabbage and blue cheese is going to love this for an easy dinner.
Needless to say, I loved the crisp coleslaw with the buffalo chicken in this dish since I am a fan of all things cabbage! And everything about this recipe is easy and the combination of hot buffalo chicken plus cooling coleslaw makes such a great burst of flavor.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth (affiliate link)
- Poultry Seasoning (affiliate link)
- Garlic Powder (affiliate link)
- Onion Powder (affiliate link)
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (affiliate link)
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- Worcestershire Sauce or Gluten-Free Worcestershire Sauce (affiliate link)
- Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) sauce or other green hot sauce
- Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate link), or sweetener of your choice
- blue cheese dressing
- green cabbage
- red cabbage
- green onion
- Celery Seed (affiliate link)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- crumbled blue cheese for serving
How spicy is this Buffalo Chicken Bowl?
Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is definitely a spicy ingredient, but with the coolness of the cabbage slaw I would say this dish is only moderately spicy. If you’re worried it will be too hot for your family, I recommend reducing the amount of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce a bit, and maybe the Green Tabasco Sauce as well. (You can always add more spice to the buffalo chicken after you taste it, but you can’t take it away!)
What kind of blue cheese dressing do I use?
I’m a huge fan of Litehouse Blue Cheese Dressing (sold in the refrigerated case), and that’s the kind I always use for this recipe. But if you have a good recipe for homemade blue cheese, that will only make it better!
What if you’re not a cabbage fan?
This recipe is similar to my Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Rice Bowl that can also be made in the slow cooker or the pressure cooker, and if you’re not a cabbage fan you might like that one instead. And if you have family members who don’t care about carbs, they can east the tasty buffalo chicken on a bun!
Want to make the Buffalo Chicken Bowl in the Instant Pot?
The photos in this post show how to make this tasty cabbage bowl in the slow cooker, but if you’d prefer to use an Instant Pot to make the buffalo chicken, check out my recipe for Buffalo Chicken Tacos. Make the buffalo chicken as described in that recipe and just serve it in a bowl meal!
Want more ideas for low-carb bowl meals?
You can check out Low-Carb Bowl Meals You’ll Make Over and Over for more tasty bowl recipes like this one.
How to make the Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Trim chicken breasts and cut them in half lengthwise; place chicken in slow cooker.
- Add the stock/herb mixture and cook on high about 3 hours, or until the chicken shreds apart easily with a fork.
- Drain the chicken in a colander, and discard the stock.
- Mix together Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (affiliate link), olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), and sweetener of your choice.
- Shred chicken apart with two forks and put back in slow cooker; then mix in the sauce.
- Cook about 30 minutes on high while you make the slaw.
- I used a Mandoline Slicer (affiliate link) to get thinly sliced cabbage for this dish, but you can also thinly slice the cabbage with a knife.
- Follow instructions for Blue Cheese Coleslaw for the slaw.
- To serve, put a generous amount of blue cheese coleslaw into a bowl and top with some of the shredded chicken mixture. Sprinkle with some crumbled blue cheese and enjoy!
- For instructions for making the Buffalo Chicken in the Instant Pot, check out the recipe for Chicken Tacos.
More Tasty Buffalo Chicken Recipes:
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Rice Bowl
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Buffalo Salmon with Blue Cheese Slaw
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep where you’ll find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl
Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl can be made in the Slow Cooker or the Instant Pot. And family members who don't care about carbs can just eat the Buffalo Chicken on a sandwich.
Buffalo Chicken Ingredients:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Poultry Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 cup Franks Red Hot Sauce (see Notes)
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce (see notes)
- 2 tsp. Green Tabasco sauce or other green hot sauce (optional, but good)
- 1 T sweetener of your choice
- 6 T thick blue cheese dressing (See notes.)
- 3 T low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 large head green cabbage, thinly sliced and then chopped
- 1/2 large head red cabbage, thinly sliced and then chopped
- 1/2 cup thickly sliced green onion
- 2 tsp. celery seed
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese for serving (see notes)
- Trim chicken breasts and cut into half lengthwise.
- Spray the slow cooker insert with olive oil or non-stick spray and place chicken in the slow cooker.
- Mix the chicken stock, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder and pour over the chicken.
- Cook on high for about 3 hours or until chicken shreds apart easily with a fork.
- When chicken is tender, drain in a colander placed in the sink, discarding the stock the chicken was cooked in.
- Let chicken cool for a few minutes so it’s easier to handle, then shred chicken apart with two forks. (You can rinse the chicken before you shred it if you prefer, but I didn’t worry about it.)
- Mix Frank’s Hot Sauce, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), and sweetener of your choice.
- Put the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and pour the sauce over, stirring gently to combine the chicken and sauce.
- Cook on high while you follow instructions to prepare Ridiculously Easy Blue Cheese Coleslaw, adding more blue cheese crumbles to the coleslaw mixture if desired.
- To serve put a generous amount of slaw into a bowl and top with a scoop of the buffalo chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle crumbled blue cheese over the top and serve.
- If this recipe makes more than you’ll eat at one time, I recommend refrigerating the cabbage mixture, dressing, and buffalo chicken separately. Then when you want to make a Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl heat the chicken, mix some dressing into the slaw, and serve.
- If you prefer to use an Instant Pot or pressure cooker to make the buffalo chicken, use my recipe for Pressure Cooker Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Blue Cheese Coleslaw and just serve as a bowl instead of as tacos.
Franks Red Hot Sauce and Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce both have zero carbs. Use Gluten-Free Worcestershire Sauce (affiliate link) if needed. I like Lighthouse Original Blue Cheese for the cabbage slaw in this recipe.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 1468mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 36g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
These Buffalo Chicken Bowls are a perfect low-carb bowl meal recipe. Blue cheese is relatively high in fat for the original South Beach Diet, but if you use my suggested recipe to reduce the fat content in the Blue Cheese Coleslaw and use a moderate amount of blue cheese crumbles, I’d eat this for any phase of the South Beach diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Bowls Meals to find more ideas like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
The Buffalo Chicken Cabbage Bowls were first posted in 2015 as a slow cooker recipe but now I might use the Instant Pot to make the chicken. (See notes about that above.) The recipe was updated with the Instant Pot option in 2019 and it was last updated with more information in 2023.
11 Comments on “Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Cabbage Bowl”
Your recipe of ‘slow-cooker-buffalo-chicken-blue-cheese-cabbage-bowl’ looks very delicious and yummy. I will try it, thank you for sharing it.
DeLISH! I basically just poached the chicken, then shredded and used the sauce as per the recipe. It was SO GOOD. Will definitely make again!
I think that sounds like a great shortcut; glad you enjoyed it!
I just made the chicken portion and this is a wonderful recipe! Can’t wait to make the slaw and enjoy. Thank you!
So glad you like it, thanks!
This is the 3rd time I've made this recipe & I love it more each time!
So glad you have enjoyed it!
It took me a very long time to find out what buffalo chicken was as I live in the UK but my-oh-my when I found out I was hooked!! Will give this recipe a go as the slow cookers not seen some action in a while 🙂
Marius, it's one of those American names that make no sense! I think it was named for Buffalo, New York, where the chicken wings first got popular, but I'm not completely sure. Hope you enjoy!
I love one-dish meals like this, especially with cole slaw as the crunchy base.
Lydia, me too. I am just crazy about cabbage in salads, period!