Low-Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Soup with Bacon and Green Chiles (Video)
I loved this Low-Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Soup with Bacon and Green Chiles; make it in the Instant Pot or on the stove! Use Soup Recipes to find more recipes like this one!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Low-Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Soup with Bacon and Green Chiles!
For anyone who’s not a Roasted Cauliflower fan or a fan of Low-Carb Soup in the Instant Pot, I apologize for the abundance of those kinds of recipes the last few weeks. I actually started working on this Low-Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Soup with Bacon and Green Chiles weeks ago and made it several times to get a version that was really a keeper.
Of course this was inspired by the Instant Pot Low-Carb Loaded Cauliflower Soup that’s been hugely popular on the blog. But when I finally made a batch of this cheesy and slightly spicy cauliflower soup that I loved I just didn’t want to wait any longer to share it with you! (And Jake and Kara both liked it too!)
Of course a cheesy cauliflower soup like this is easy to make on the stovetop too if you don’t have an Instant Pot (or another type of Pressure Cooker), so I’ll give you those instructions in the recipe. One tool that I do highly recommend for making this type of soup is an Immersion Blender. Having a stick blender that can blend up the soup right in the Instant Pot or soup pot eliminates the messiness and potential danger of trying to blend hot soup in a food processor.
I’ve been giving away immersion blenders for wedding presents for a few years now, because it’s such a handy cooking tool and something a new bride doesn’t seem likely to have. If you don’t have an immersion blender, please be very careful blending the hot soup in the food processor or blender; that’s the only tricky part of making this delicious soup!
Heat the olive oil in the Instant Pot on SAUTE, high heat and cook the chopped onion. While onions cook, chop up the cauliflower. Put chopped cauliflower, chicken stock, garlic powder, and salt into the Instant Pot and cook on MANUAL setting at HIGH PRESSURE for 5 minutes. Use QUICK RELEASE method to release the pressure. (While the cauliflower cooks, assemble the other ingredients.)
Use an Immersion Blender to blend the soup right in the pot (or blend it in a food processor or blender, being very careful with the hot soup.) Then turn the Instant Pot setting to KEEP WARM (or SAUTE, low heat if you think you’ll need a bit more time.) Stir in the sharp cheddar, white cheddar, and half and half, milk, or cream (whichever you prefer) and stir until cheese melts. Then stir in the can of diced green chiles, crumbled bacon, and some Green Tabasco Sauce to taste.
Serve hot, with more grated cheese and crumbled bacon to add at the table if desired! We didn’t add anything else, but you could top the soup with things like salsa, sour cream, diced avocado, or olives if desired.
Love Your Instant Pot?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! Find more Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site!
More Tasty Low-Carb Soup:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Soup with Bacon and Green Chiles (Instant Pot or Stovetop)
Low-Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Soup with Bacon and Green Chiles will warm you up on a cool fall evening!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped small
- 1 large head cauliflower, leaves removed and coarsely chopped including the stem
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup grated extra sharp yellow cheddar (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup grated extra sharp white cheddar (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 cup milk, half and half, or cream
- 2/3 cup cup crumbled cooked bacon (about 8 strips bacon, including the crumbled bacon to add at the table)
- 4 oz. can diced green chiles with juice (Anaheim chiles, not jalapenos, unless you like it really spicy.)
- 1 T Green Tabasco Sauce (optional, use more or less to taste)
- additional grated cheese and crumbled bacon to add at the table, plus other toppings as desired
- Heat the olive oil in the Instant Pot on SAUTE, high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until the onion is soft and starting to brown, about 4-5 minutes. While the onion cooks, coarsely chop the cauliflower, including the stems.
- Add chopped cauliflower, chicken stock, garlic powder, and salt to the Instant Pot and set on MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE for 5 minutes cooking time. When five minutes is up, use QUICK RELEASE method to release the pressure.
- While the cauliflower cooks assemble the grated sharp yellow cheddar, grated sharp white cheddar, milk, cream, or half and half, crumbled cooked bacon, canned green chiles, andGreen Tabasco Sauce.
- When the pressure has released, use an Immersion Blender to blend the soup right in the pot. (Or use a food processor or blender to puree the cauliflower, being very careful with the hot liquid.) We made it pretty smooth, since you’re adding bacon and green chiles for some texture, but leave a few chunks if you prefer.
- Turn the Instant Pot to KEEP WARM (or use SAUTE, low heat if you think you’ll need more time.) Add the grated sharp yellow cheddar, grated sharp white cheddar, and milk product of your choice, and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Then add the crumbled cooked bacon, diced green chiles with juice, and Green Tabasco sauce (if using).
- Serve hot, with more grated cheese and crumbled bacon to add at the table, plus other toppings as desired.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized heavy soup pot and cook the onion until it’s soft and just starting to brown.
- Chop the cauliflower while the onion cooks.
- Increase chicken broth to 3 1/2 cups for stovetop version. Add chopped cauliflower, chicken broth, garlic powder, and salt and turn the heat to medium-high and cook until mixture is barely starting to boil. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer until the cauliflower is very tender when pierced with a fork, about 20-30 minutes.
- Puree the cauliflower with an immersion blender or other utensil as described above. Check the amount of liquid and if the soup seems thin, simmer on low heat for a few minutes more until some of the extra liquid evaporates.
- Add the grated cheese and milk product of your choice and stir over low heat until the cheese has melted.
- The add the crumbled bacon, diced green chiles, and Green Tabasco Sauce (if using) and stir to combine.
- Serve hot, with more crumbled bacon and grated cheese to add at the table, plus other toppings as desired.
This is the type of diced green chiles I used for this recipe.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This is a great soup for any low-carb or Keto diet plan, and it’s also great for any phase of the South Beach Diet if you use the lower-fat dairy that South Beach Diet recommends. South Beach would also suggest turkey bacon, and maybe a bit less bacon than I used!
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type index pages to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.