Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup with Mushrooms
Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup with Mushrooms is a savory low-carb soup that’s extra good with freshly-grated Parmesan added at the table. My sister Pam’s family loves this tasty soup.
Years ago I bought a Kuhn Rikon Pressure Cooker (affiliate link), and shared a few Pressure Cooker Recipes on the blog. So when my sister Pam got a new Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker (affiliate link), and my friend Barbara started a blog about using the electric pressure cooker, I really didn’t think I needed another pressure cooker. Then I got a couple of Amazon gift cards, and the next thing you know, a new Instant Pot arrived at my house!
So far I’ve only used it to make chicken stock, and then this amazing soup, but I’m already pretty infatuated with the electric pressure cooker. If I had to pick one feature, it would be the way you can set the time and walk away, knowing the pressure cooker will stop cooking and release the pressure, even if you forget about it. And I loved this low-carb Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup with Mushroom that’s perfect for January when everyone is focused on lighter meals. But I highly recommend adding just a little Parmesan!
This soup was partly inspired by Cafe Zupas Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup, a rich and creamy and decidedly not diet-friendly soup I tasted a few months ago, but I it was also inspired by a desire to use some slightly-past-its-prime cauliflower I had in the fridge! Mushrooms were the perfect umami-adding ingredient to bump up the flavor. Of course you can make the soup in a regular stove-top pressure cooker (or even in a pan on top of the stove, adding more liquid, and simmering until the vegetables are tender.)
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- olive oil
- minced garlic
- dried thyme
- Cremini mushrooms
- canned vegetable stock
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup with Mushrooms:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- You can saute the onions, garlic, and thyme in the pressure cooker, but I used a pan so it was easier to get a photo!
- I also cooked the brown Cremini mushrooms before I put them into the pressure cooker. (You can use regular white mushrooms, but these brown ones, also called Baby Bellas, have more flavor.)
- Cut up about 4 cups of small cauliflower pieces, and if you look closely you can tell that mine had a few brown edges cut off!
- Put the onions, cauliflower, mushrooms, and stock into the Instant Pot.
- Set the pressure cooker to MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE, 5 minutes, (or bring stove-top pressure cooker to high pressure and cook 5 minutes.) I wasn’t in a hurry, so I let the pressure release naturally, but you could also use the quick-release.
- The next photo shows how the soup looked after it had cooked.
- Then use an Immersion Blender (affiliate link) to puree the soup, leaving it a little chunky if you prefer. Barbara says be careful, because some immersion blenders can scratch the pressure cooker, but mine was okay. (You can also puree in a food processor or blender, but the immersion blender is much easier.)
- Add the 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and simmer 5-10 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted into the soup.
- Serve hot, with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese or sour cream to add at the table
Love Your Instant Pot?
Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes!
More Delicious Pressure Cooker Soups:
The BEST Low-Carb Instant Pot Soup Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Minestrone Soup with Basil Pesto ~ Pressure Cooking Today
50 AMAZING Low-Carb Instant Pot Soup Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure CookerWeekend Food Prep:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 lb. Cremini mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower (see notes)
- 6 cups vegetable stock (see notes)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the bottom of the pressure cooker (or in a non-stick frying pan). Add the onions and saute until they’re starting to brown, about 5-7 minutes. (Use the saute setting on the electric pressure cooker or medium-high heat on the stove.) Add the minced garlic and thyme and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Put onions in a bowl (or add them to the pressure cooker if you used a pan to saute the onions.) Heat the other teaspoon of olive oil and saute the mushrooms until they’re lightly browned and all the liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Put the onion mixture, mushrooms, cauliflower, and stock into the pressure cooker and set to cook for 5 minutes time at high pressure. (For stovetop pressure cooker, bring to high pressure and cook 5 minutes.) I let the pressure release naturally because I wasn’t in a hurry, but you can also use the quick release method.
- Use an Immersion Blender (affiliate link) to puree the soup, leaving it a little chunky if you prefer. (You can also puree in a food processor or blender, but be careful with the hot liquid if you use one of those.)
- Add the 3/4 cup Parmesan and simmer 5-10 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted into the soup.
- Serve hot, with additional freshly-grated Parmesan cheese or sour cream to add at the table if desired.
You don't have to have exactly four cups of chopped cauliflower; just use 1 large head of cauliflower. Use chicken stock if you prefer.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 910mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This delicious Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup with Mushrooms would be approved for all phases of the original South Beach Diet, as well as most other low-carb and low-glycemic diet plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Pressure Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.