Cheesy Stuffed Poblanos with Ground Turkey (Video)
Cheesy Stuffed Poblanos with Ground Turkey have a deliciously cheesy meat filling, and this tasty recipe uses my favorite Poblano chiles!
Watch the video to see if you might like to make
Cheesy Stuffed Poblanos with Ground Turkey!
For today’s Friday Favorites pick I’m reminding you about these absolutely delicious Cheesy Stuffed Poblanos with Ground Turkey and if you haven’t ever made this type of stuffed chili pepper dish, you should try this right away! For a while now I’ve been infatuated with slightly-spicy Poblano chiles (often called Pasilla chiles in U.S. grocery stores.) I’ve used them in recipes like Ground Turkey Enchilada Casserole, Cauliflower Rice Stuffed Peppers, and Instant Pot Southwestern Pork Stew and every time I’ve used Poblano chiles in a recipe I’ve fallen for them a bit more!
But I still think this recipe for Cheesy Stuffed Poblanos with Ground Turkey is the biggest WOW of all the Poblano chile recipes I’ve made so far! It was inspired by Poblanos Stuffed with Cheddar and Chicken from Fine Cooking Magazine, and that recipe sounded tasty if you wanted a stuffing that used rice.
When I set out to make an easier low-carb stuffed poblano with ground turkey I tried experiments with both Jake and Kara, and then made them once more myself before I had a version I was happy with. But the recipe you see here is a winner, and it’s been really popular on the blog. And if you’re not a ground turkey fan, this would also be delicious made with ground beef.
Our keeper recipe for Cheesy Stuffed Poblanos with Ground Turkey simmers the ground turkey with green chile enchilada sauce and spices to get the turkey infused with amazing flavor; then a touch of lime juice, chopped poblano, sliced green onion, and grated mozzarella is stirred into the turkey mixture and it’s stuffed inside poblano halves that have been softened in the microwave. After the turkey filling is piled into the poblano shell, each one is topped with a little more mozzarella and they’re baked until the filling is bubbling hot and the cheese is melted and browned. These are so, so delicious!
(Cheesy Stuffed Poblanos with Ground Turkey were first posted March 13, 2016 and last updated January 3, 2020.)
How to Make Cheesy Stuffed Poblanos with Ground Turkey:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Heat the oven to 375F/190C and spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the ground turkey; then add the green chile enchilada sauce, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper, and simmer until all the liquid is evaporated and the turkey has absorbed those flavors.
- While the turkey simmers, cut two of the large Poblanos in half lengthwise, cut out the seeds and cut away them stem I used kitchen shears (affiliate link) for that. Then microwave them about 2-3 minutes, or just until they’re softened enough to be able to fully open for stuffing.
- Chop up enough of the other Poblano to make 1/2 cup chopped poblano and slice 1/2 cup of green onion. (You can cut the onions and peppers a bit smaller if you don’t like the idea of biting into a piece of barely cooked chile pepper or green onion.)
- When the sauce has been reduced so the turkey mixture is fairly dry, turn off the heat and stir in the lime juice, chopped Poblano chile, sliced green pepper, and one cup of grated Mozzarella.
- Pick up each softened Poblano half and hold it over the pan with the meat as you pack in the filling.
- Top each one with about a tablespoon of grated Mozzarella.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is very hot and the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Serve hot, with sour cream, hot sauce, or salsa to add at the table if desired!
More Yummy Mexican Food:
25+ Healthy Low-Carb Mexican Food Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Poblanos in Cream Sauce ~ Simply Recipes
Slow Cooker Green Chile Shredded Beef Cabbage Bowl ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Ten Low-Carb Mexican Food Favorites You’ll Make Over and Over
Buy three Poblanos; the third one can be a bit smaller. I used Casa Fiesta Green Enchilada Sauce (affiliate link) which comes in a 10 oz. that only contains ten carbs in the whole can. Look for the brand of green enchilada sauce with the least carbs, and if you only find the larger size can and want to use the full can you can do that, you’ll just have to simmer the meat mixture a little longer. I used my fresh-frozen lime juice. Lime juice is definitely optional, or use less if you're not a big fan of lime. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 10gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 604mgCarbohydrates: 6.5gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 39g
Buy three Poblanos; the third one can be a bit smaller.
I used Casa Fiesta Green Enchilada Sauce (affiliate link) which comes in a 10 oz. that only contains ten carbs in the whole can. Look for the brand of green enchilada sauce with the least carbs, and if you only find the larger size can and want to use the full can you can do that, you’ll just have to simmer the meat mixture a little longer.
I used my fresh-frozen lime juice. Lime juice is definitely optional, or use less if you're not a big fan of lime.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
These stuffed Poblanos with lean ground turkey and cheese are a great dish for any phase of the South Beach Diet and most other low-carb eating plans. Look for green chile enchilada sauce with the lowest possible carbs; I used Casa Fiesta Green Enchilada Sauce (affiliate link) which had only 10 carbs in the 10 oz. can.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Oven Dinners to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.