Instant Pot Goulash Soup (Video)
Instant Pot Goulash Soup is a delicious and quick low-carb dinner with all the flavors that make Hungarian food so amazing! And this tasty soup uses the ground beef you probably keep in the freezer.
I’ve become a huge fan of making soup in the Instant Pot for a dinner that’s quick and easy, but you can definitely make this Instant Pot Goulash Soup in any kind of pressure cooker, or use the instructions from this similar stovetop goulash soup and make it on the stove! But this soup is so tasty that if you haven’t tried this popular recipe I am urging you to try it!
This soup is all about the spicy paprika, so if you’re not a fan of that flavor it may not be for you. I use both sweet and hot paprika for the soup, but if you don’t have any hot paprika (sometimes called sharp) use a bit more sweet and a tiny pinch of cayenne. I urge you to use real Hungarian Paprika if you can; the flavor is so different from the paprika you get in the grocery store. I’m a fan of Szeged Paprika (affiliate link), which I’ve been buying for years from Amazon.com, but any brand of Hungarian Paprika will be better than the stuff from the grocery store.
And definitely serve this tasty soup with some sour cream to add at the table. Personally I’d never get tired of the Hungarian flavors in this tasty soup!
How to Make Instant Pot Goulash Soup:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute’, heat 2 tsp. olive oil, and brown the ground beef, breaking apart with a turner as it cooks.
- When the beef is mostly browned, remove to a bowl (or drain on paper towels if you see much fat on the meat.)
- While beef cooks, cut up the onions and red pepper.
- Add the other tsp. olive oil with the onions and peppers and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the minced garlic and the sweet and hot paprika and cook 2-3 minutes more, stirring a few times. (Do not skip that step of cooking the paprika.)
- Put the ground beef back into the Instant Pot (affiliate link) with the beef stock (or canned beef broth) and petite diced tomatoes.
- Lock the lid, choose SOUP (low pressure on my model) and set the time for 15 minutes.
- When it stops cooking, let the pressure release naturally for a few minutes, then quick release the rest.
- Serve hot, with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- The addition of sour cream at the table is highly recommended by me, but this is dairy-free without the sour cream!
Love Your Instant Pot?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! Find more Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site!
More Soup Recipes with the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker:
The BEST Low-Carb Instant Pot Soup Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
50 AMAZING Low-Carb Instant Pot Soup Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot Low-Carb Loaded Cauliflower Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. extra lean ground beef (preferably less than 10% fat)
- 2 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and cut into short strips
- 1 large onion, cut into short strips
- 1 T minced garlic (minced garlic from a jar is fine)
- 2 T sweet paprika, preferably Hungarian paprika (I used Szeged Sweet Paprika, see notes.)
- 1/2 tsp. hot paprika, preferably Hungarian paprika (I used Szeged Hot Paprika, see notes. If you don’t have hot paprika, use a little more sweet paprika and a pinch of Cayenne pepper.)
- 4 cups homemade beef stock (or use a little less than 3 cans beef broth – 14 oz. can)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. can) petite diced tomatoes
- sour cream for serving (optional)
- Turn the Instant Pot (affiliate link) to saute’, heat the 2 tsp. olive oil, and cook the ground beef, breaking it apart with your fingers as you put it into the Instant Pot and also with a turner as it cooks.
- When the beef is mostly browned, remove to a bowl (or drain on paper towels on a plate if the meat looks at all greasy.)
- While the meat cooks, cut away the stem and seeds from the red pepper and cut into short strips. Cut onion into short strips, same size as the red pepper.
- Add the other tsp. olive oil to the Instant Pot, add the onions and peppers and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the minced garlic, sweet paprika, and hot paprika and cook 2-3 minutes longer, stirring so the paprika is all cooked. (DO NOT skip the step of cooking the paprika with the onions and peppers.)
- Add the beef stock or broth and petite diced tomatoes, along with the ground beef.
- Lock the lid and use the SOUP setting, changing the time to 15 minutes. (On my Instant Pot SOUP is low pressure. If yours is different use the MANUAL setting and choose LOW PRESSURE – 15 minutes.)
- When the cooking stops, let the pressure release manually for a few minutes, then use quick release to finish releasing.
- Serve hot with a generous dollop of sour cream if desired.
- If you want to make this soup on the stovetop instead of in a pressure cooker, use these ingredients but follow the cooking times and instructions for Low-Carb Goulash Soup with Red Pepper and Cabbage.)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 152mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 54g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Instant Pot Goulash Soup is a perfect recipe for low-carb diets, low-glycemic diets, and any phase of the original South Beach Diet (with low-carb ground beef and dairy), and if you skip the optional sour cream it can be Paleo or Whole 30 with approved beef.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Pressure Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.