Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake
Anyone who likes sausage and peppers will love this Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake for a tasty low-carb breakfast!
There are a lot of Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles on my blog, and yet I somehow keep thinking up new combinations with eggs, meat, veggies, and cheese that turn out to be amazing. This Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake was such a perfect combination of flavors that Jake and I couldn’t stop talking about how good it was when we tested the recipe.
There were a couple of things that made this a winner for me. Of course, I used to make this with my favorite Jenni-O Turkey Italian Sausage but now I can’t find that any more. Use any chicken, turkey, or pork Italian sausage for this recipe.
The recipe also uses Sweet Mini Peppers, another ingredient I love (and I just used both turkey Italian Sausage and sweet mini peppers in the Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini Peppers Sheet Pan Meal I shared last week, if you’re also a fan of both.) In this breakfast bake we cut the mini pepper crosswise to make rings, which I thought was pretty, and I loved the sweetness they added.
This breakfast bake also has rinsed and drained cottage cheese curds (for extra protein and creaminess), grated Mozzarella cheese, a little Parmesan for the top, a few green onions, and just enough eggs to hold it together. If you like those flavors; I hope you’ll give this one a try!
What ingredients do you need?
- sweet turkey or pork Italian Sausage
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- cottage cheese, rinsed with cold water and well-drained
- Sweet Mini Peppers
- green onions
- grated Mozzarella cheese
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), or other all-purpose seasoning blend
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- eggs, well beaten
- coarsely grated Parmesan cheese for the top (optional but good)
How to Make Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- I used the sweet Italian sausage for this, but go ahead and use hot spicy sausage if you prefer. Cook the sausage until it’s nicely browned, breaking apart with a turner.
- While it cooks, put the cottage cheese in a fine strainer and rinse with cold water; then let it drain.
- Cut the ends off the peppers, scrape out the seeds and membranes, and then cut into rings. Slice green onions.
- Start preheating the oven to 375F/190C.
- When the sausage is browned spray a 9.5 X 11 glass casserole dish with non-stick spray and put the sausage in the bottom of the dish.
- Put the rest of the olive oil and the peppers into the pan you browned the sausage in and cook for a few minutes, just to barely soften peppers, then layer the peppers over the sausage.
- Add the well-drained cottage cheese.
- Then add the grated Mozzarella and sliced green onions and season with the Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Pour the beaten eggs over. Use a fork to gently stir so ingredients are well-combined.
- Sprinkle the top with a little grated Parmesan and bake at 375F/190C for 35-40 minutes, or until the casserole is completely set and starting to brown.
- Serve hot, sprinkle with a few more sliced green onions to garnish if desired.
More Low-Carb Breakfasts to Enjoy:
- Broccoli, Ham, and Mozzarella Baked with Eggs
- Low-Carb Baked Eggs with Avocado and Feta
- Low-Carb Egg Muffins for a Grab-and-Go Breakfast
- Pepperoni Pizza Keto Crustless Quiche
- Low-Carb No-Egg Breakfast Bake with Sausage and Peppers
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- one pound sweet turkey or pork Italian Sausage (see notes)
- 4 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cup cottage cheese, rinsed with cold water and well-drained
- 1 cup sliced Sweet Mini Peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (see notes)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 10 eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese for the top (optional but good)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190 C.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large frying pan; squeeze the sausage out of the casings, and cook sausage over medium-high heat until it’s nicely browned, breaking it apart with a turner or old-fashioned potato masher (affiliate link) as it cooks. (Turkey sausage will release some water when it cooks; you’ll need to evaporate all the water before the sausage starts to brown.)
- While sausage cooks, put cottage cheese into a fine-mesh strainer, rinse with cold water and let it drain well.
- Cut the ends off Sweet Mini Peppers, scrape out seeds and membranes with a sharp spoon and cut peppers into round slices. Slice green onions.
- When the sausage is browned, spray a 9.5 ” x 11″ (or similar size) class casserole dish with non-stick spray and put sausage into the casserole dish.
- Put the other 2 tsp. olive oil into the frying pan you cooked the peppers in, add the sliced mini-peppers, and cook just 2-3 minutes, or until the peppers barely start to soften and get some sausage flavor from the pan.
- Layer the peppers over the sausage in the casserole dish, then top with the drained cottage cheese.
- Then add the grated Mozzarella and sliced green onions to the casserole dish. Season with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and pepper.
- Break eggs into a bowl and beat well until yolks and whites are all combined and pour eggs over the other ingredients. Use a fork to gently “stir” so that all ingredients are evenly combined; then top with the coarsely grated Parmesan if using.
- Bake the breakfast bake for 35-40 minutes, or until it’s completely set and the top is starting to brown.
- Serve hot, topped with more sliced green onions for garnish if desired. This is also good with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Five links is a 19.5 oz. package or sausage, but either that or a one pound package will be fine.
Use any all-purpose seasoning that’s good on eggs if you don't have Spike Seasoning.
Recipe created by Kalyn and Jake when Kalyn had made Low-Carb Roasted Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini Peppers Sheet Pan Meal and had more sweet mini-peppers in the fridge that needed to be used!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 278mgSodium: 751mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake is loaded with healthy low-carb and low-glycemic ingredients and should be approved for any low-carb or low-glycemic diet, including Keto and the South Beach Diet. South Beach would recommend low-fat dairy products; other low-carb diets might prefer full-fat dairy.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.