Breakfast Bake with Italian Sausage and Mini Sweet Peppers
Anyone who likes sausage and peppers will love this Breakfast Bake with Italian Sausage and Mini Sweet Peppers for a tasty low-carb breakfast! And this breakfast bake recipe only has 3 net carbs per serving!
This Breakfast Bake with Italian Sausage and Mini Sweet Peppers was such a perfect combination of flavors that Jake and I couldn’t stop talking about how good it was when we tested the recipe.
There were lots of things that made this a winner for me:
- Of course, I love Italian Sausage and you can use any chicken, turkey, or pork Italian sausage you prefer for this recipe.
- The recipe also uses Mini Sweet Peppers, another ingredient I love.
- And in this breakfast bake we cut the mini pepper crosswise to make rings, which I thought was pretty, and I loved the sweetness they added.
- The breakfast bake recipe also has rinsed and drained cottage cheese curds (for extra protein and creaminess), grated Mozzarella cheese, a little Parmesan cheese for the top, a few green onions, and just enough eggs to hold it together.
If you like the sound of this combination of ingredients; I hope you’ll give this interesting breakfast bake recipe a try!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- sweet turkey or pork Italian Sausage
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- cottage cheese, rinsed with cold water and well-drained
- Sweet Mini Peppers
- green onions
- grated Mozzarella cheese
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), or other all-purpose seasoning blend
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- eggs, well beaten
- coarsely grated Parmesan cheese for the top (optional but good)
What is a breakfast bake?
I’m not sure there’s an official definition for a breakfast bake. But when a baked egg dish has not so many eggs and a lot of other ingredients I tend to call it a breakfast bake instead of a breakfast casserole!
How low in carbs is this breakfast bake with sausage and peppers?
This delicious breakfast bake recipe has only 3 net carbs per serving, so it’s fantastic for anyone who’s watching carbs and enjoys these ingredients.
Another great recipe with Italian Sausage and Mini Sweet Peppers:
I also used both turkey Italian Sausage and sweet mini peppers in the Italian Sausage and Mini Peppers Sheet Pan Meal I shared, so you might like that one too if you’re also a fan of both of those ingredients like I am!
How to Make this Breakfast Bake with Italian Sausage and Mini Sweet Peppers:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- I used the sweet Italian sausage for this, but use hot spicy sausage if you prefer. Cook the sausage until it’s nicely browned, breaking apart with a turner.
- While it cooks, put the cottage cheese in a fine strainer and rinse with cold water; then let it drain.
- Cut the ends off the peppers, scrape out the seeds and membranes, and then cut into rings. Slice green onions.
- Start preheating the oven to 375F/190C.
- When the sausage is browned spray a 9.5 X 11 glass casserole dish with non-stick spray and put the sausage in the bottom of the dish.
- Put the rest of the olive oil and the peppers into the pan you browned the sausage in and cook for a few minutes, just to barely soften peppers, then layer the peppers over the sausage.
- Add the well-drained cottage cheese.
- Then add the grated Mozzarella and sliced green onions and season with the Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Pour the beaten eggs over. Use a fork to gently stir so ingredients are well-combined.
- Sprinkle the top with a little grated Parmesan and bake at 375F/190C for 35-40 minutes, or until the casserole is completely set and starting to brown.
- Serve hot, sprinkle with a few more sliced green onions to garnish if desired.
More Low-Carb Breakfasts to Enjoy:
- Broccoli, Ham, and Mozzarella Baked with Eggs
- Baked Eggs with Avocado and Feta
- Keto Egg Muffins (Master Recipe)
- Pepperoni Pizza Keto Crustless Quiche
- Sausage and Peppers No-Egg Breakfast
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- one pound sweet turkey or pork Italian Sausage (see notes)
- 4 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cup cottage cheese, rinsed with cold water and well-drained
- 1 cup sliced Sweet Mini Peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (see notes)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 10 eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese for the top (optional but good)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190 C.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large frying pan; squeeze the sausage out of the casings, and cook sausage over medium-high heat until it’s nicely browned, breaking it apart with a turner or old-fashioned potato masher (affiliate link) as it cooks. (Turkey sausage will release some water when it cooks; you’ll need to evaporate all the water before the sausage starts to brown.)
- While sausage cooks, put cottage cheese into a fine-mesh strainer, rinse with cold water and let it drain well.
- Cut the ends off Sweet Mini Peppers, scrape out seeds and membranes with a sharp spoon and cut peppers into round slices. Slice green onions.
- When the sausage is browned, spray a 9.5 ” x 11″ (or similar size) class casserole dish with non-stick spray and put sausage into the casserole dish.
- Put the other 2 tsp. olive oil into the frying pan you cooked the sausage in, add the sliced mini-peppers, and cook just 2-3 minutes, or until the peppers barely start to soften and get some sausage flavor from the pan.
- Layer the peppers over the sausage in the casserole dish, then top with the drained cottage cheese.
- Then add the grated Mozzarella and sliced green onions to the casserole dish. Season with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and pepper.
- Break eggs into a bowl and beat well until yolks and whites are all combined and pour eggs over the other ingredients. Use a fork to gently “stir” so that all ingredients are evenly combined; then top with the coarsely grated Parmesan if using.
- Bake the breakfast bake for 35-40 minutes, or until it’s completely set and the top is starting to brown.
- Serve hot, topped with more sliced green onions for garnish if desired. This is also good with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Five links is a 19.5 oz. package or sausage, but either that or a one pound package will be fine.
Use any all-purpose seasoning that’s good on eggs if you don't have Spike Seasoning.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 278mgSodium: 751mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Breakfast Bake with Italian Sausage and Mini Sweet Peppers is loaded with healthy low-carb ingredients and would be great for any low-carb diet, including Keto. This would also be great for the original South Beach diet, but South Beach would recommend low-fat dairy products.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This breakfast bake with sausage and peppers was first posted in 2017. The recipe was last updated with more information in 2023.