Low-Carb Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake
Anyone who likes turkey Italian sausage will love this Low-Carb Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake for a tasty breakfast casserole! And this delicious breakfast bake is also low-glycemic and gluten-free. Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
There are a lot of Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles on my blog, and yet I somehow keep thinking up new combinations with eggs, meat, veggies, and cheese that turn out to be amazing. This Low-Carb Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake was such a perfect combination of flavors that Jake and I couldn’t stop talking about how good it was when we tested the recipe.
There were a couple of things that made this a winner for me. Of course, I used my favorite Jenni-O Turkey Italian Sausage that’s been the starting point for so many recipes on this site. (And of course Jenni-O hasn’t paid me to promote their sausage, and I doubt they even know I’ve given them such a massive shout-out, but I love, love, love this sausage. There are a lot more turkey sausage ideas at that link if you’re also a fan.)
The recipe also uses Sweet Mini Peppers, another ingredient I love (and I just used both turkey Italian Sausage and sweet mini peppers in the Low-Carb Roasted Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini Peppers Sheet Pan Meal I shared last week, if you’re also a fan of both.) In this breakfast bake we cut the mini pepper crosswise to make rings, which I thought was pretty, and I loved the sweetness they added.
This breakfast bake also has rinsed and drained cottage cheese curds (for extra protein and creaminess), grated Mozzarella cheese, a little Parmesan for the top, a few green onions, and just enough eggs to hold it together. If you like those flavors; I hope you’ll give this one a try!
I used the sweet Italian sausage for this, but go ahead and use hot spicy sausage if you prefer. Cook the sausage until it’s nicely browned. While it cooks, put the cottage cheese in a fine strainer and rinse with cold water; then let it drain. Cut the ends off the peppers, scrape out the seeds and membranes, and then cut into rings. Slice green onions. Start preheating the oven to 375F/190C.
When the sausage is browned spray a 9.5 X 11 glass casserole dish with non-stick spray and put the sausage in the bottom of the dish. Put the rest of the olive oil and the peppers into the pan you browned the sausage in and cook for a few minutes, just to barely soften peppers, then layer the peppers over the sausage. Add the well-drained cottage cheese.
Then add the grated Mozzarella and sliced green onions and season with the Spike Seasoning and freshly-ground black pepper. Pour the beaten eggs over. Use a fork to gently stir so ingredients are well-combined. Sprinkle the top with a little grated Parmesan and bake at 375F/190C for 35-40 minutes, or until the casserole is completely set and barely starting to brown.
Serve hot, sprinkle with a few more sliced green onions to garnish if desired. This is also good with a dollop of sour cream on top; enjoy!
More Low-Carb Breakfasts to Enjoy:
Broccoli, Ham, and Mozzarella Baked with Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Easy Low-Carb Bacon and Brie Frittata ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Low-Carb Baked Eggs with Avocado and Feta ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Turkey Sausage Spinach Mushroom Egg Bake ~ Sugar-Free mom
Low-Carb Egg Muffins for a Grab-and-Go Breakfast ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cauliflower Hash Browns Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake
Moms who like my favorite turkey Italian sausage will love this Low-Carb Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake for a Mother’s Day brunch option.
- 5 links (19.5 oz.) uncooked sweet turkey Italian Sausage (see notes)
- 2 tsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup cottage cheese, rinsed with cold water and well-drained
- 1 cup sliced Sweet Mini Peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use any all-purpose seasoning that’s good on eggs)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 10 eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese for the top (optional but good)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190 C.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large frying pan; squeeze the sausage out of the casings, and cook sausage over medium-high heat until it’s nicely browned, breaking it apart with a turner or old-fashioned potato masher (affiliate link) as it cooks. (Turkey sausage will release some water when it cooks; you’ll need to evaporate all the water before the sausage starts to brown.)
- While sausage cooks, put cottage cheese into a fine-mesh strainer, rinse with cold water and let it drain well.
- Cut the ends off Sweet Mini Peppers, scrape out seeds and membranes with a sharp spoon and cut peppers into round slices. Slice green onions.
- When the sausage is browned, spray a 9.5 ” x 11″ (or similar size) class casserole dish with non-stick spray and put sausage into the casserole dish.
- Put the other 2 tsp. olive oil into the frying pan you cooked the peppers in, add the sliced mini-peppers, and cook just 2-3 minutes, or until the peppers barely start to soften and get some sausage flavor from the pan.
- Layer the peppers over the sausage in the casserole dish, then top with the drained cottage cheese.
- Then add the grated Mozzarella and sliced green onions to the casserole dish. Season with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and pepper.
- Break eggs into a bowl and beat well until yolks and whites are all combined and pour eggs over the other ingredients. Use a fork to gently “stir” so that all ingredients are evenly combined; then top with the coarsely grated Parmesan if using.
- Bake the breakfast bake for 35-40 minutes, or until it’s completely set and the top is starting to brown.
- Serve hot, topped with more sliced green onions for garnish if desired. This is also good with a dollop of sour cream on top.
I used my favorite Turkey Italian Sausage for this recipe.
Recipe created by Kalyn and Jake when Kalyn had just made Low-Carb Roasted Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini Peppers Sheet Pan Meal and had more sweet mini-peppers in the fridge that needed to be used!
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Breakfast Bake is loaded with healthy low-carb and low-glycemic ingredients and should be approved for any low-carb or low-glycemic diet, including Keto and the South Beach Diet. South Beach would recommend low-fat dairy products; other low-carb diets might prefer full-fat dairy.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.