Brown Rice Casserole with Turkey, Peppers, Mushrooms, and Feta
Brown Rice Casserole with Turkey, Peppers, Mushrooms, and Feta is delicious and easy to make, and anyone who likes these ingredients will enjoy this for dinner. Use Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
I realize that it’s almost time to stop thinking about Casseroles and start thinking about salads, but before it gets too hot to turn on the oven, can I urge you to try this delicious Brown Rice Casserole with Turkey, Peppers, Mushrooms, and Feta? Trust me, this is so delicious!
I worked on this brown rice casserole for a few weeks to get a version I thought was just amazing, and I gave it a long name so you could see all the delicious ingredients tucked into this casserole with a lot of ground turkey, green pepper, mushrooms, and Feta and just a little bit of brown rice. I tried it out on several people who all said it was a keeper; hope you enjoy!
How to Make Brown Rice Casserole with Turkey, Peppers, Mushrooms, and Feta:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- I used my Zojirushi 3-Cup Rice Cooker (affiliate link) to cook the brown rice. (I only used part of it, and froze some rice for another time.)
- While the rice cooks, wash the mushrooms, cut into thick slices or half slices, and saute until nicely browned. Put the mushrooms in a large bowl.
- Chop the onions and green pepper, cook until starting to brown, then add Greek Seasoning (affiliate link) and Greek oregano and cook a few minutes more. Put the veggies into the bowl with the mushrooms.
- Heat a little more oil in the frying pan and cook the ground turkey until it’s nicely browned. Put the browned turkey into the bowl. Season the meat with a little salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- When the rice is cooked, mix in 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice.
- I used both Mozzarella and Feta to give the casserole plenty of cheesy flavor.
- Mix together the sour cream, chicken stock, 3/4 cup crumbled Feta, and 3/4 cup grated Mozzarella.
- Gently fold the sour cream/cheese mixture into the rice/meat/vegetables mixture.
- Put the mixture into a glass or crockery casserole dish and sprinkle with the other 1 1/4 cups cheese. (I used my favorite 12 cup glass casserole dish, but anything close to that size will work.)
- Bake the casserole at 375F/190C with the lid on (or covered with foil) for the first 20 minutes. Here’s how it looks when you take off the lid.
- Put back in the oven and bake about 20 minutes more, or until the top is nicely browned and the casserole is bubbling. Serve hot.
This keeps well in the fridge and freezes well, and it can be reheated either in a covered dish in the oven or in the microwave.
More Casseroles for Dinner:
Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker Casseroles Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
20+ Delicious Low-Carb and Keto Casserole Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Chicken Parmesan Casserole ~ I Breathe I’m Hungry
Ground Turkey Low-Carb Enchilada Casserole with Red and Green Chiles ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 6 tsp. olive oil, divided (more or less depending on your pan)
- 1 lb. brown Cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped into smallish pieces
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed and chopped into smallish pieces
- 1 tsp. Greek seasoning
- 1 tsp. Greek oregano
- 1 1/2 lb. ground turkey
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup crumbled Feta
- 8 oz. grated Mozzarella
- Cook brown rice according to package directions. (I cooked the maximum amount in my Zojirushi 3-Cup Rice Cooker (affiliate link) and froze the extra for another time.)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a glass or crockery casserole dish with non-stick spray. (I used my favorite 12 cup glass casserole dish, but you can also use a rectangular dish and make a slightly flatter casserole.)
- Wash mushrooms if needed and cut into thick slices or half slices.
- Heat about 2 tsp. oil in a large non-stick frying pan and saute the mushrooms over medium-high heat until they’re slightly browned and all liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Put mushrooms into a large plastic bowl.
- Heat a little more oil in the frying pan, add the chopped onion and green pepper, and cook over medium-high heat until the onion and peppers are starting to slightly brown.
- Add the Greek Seasoning (affiliate link) and Greek oregano and cook about 1 minute more. Add the vegetables to the mushrooms in the bowl.
- Heat a little more oil in the pan, add the ground turkey, and cook over medium-high heat until the turkey is nicely browned and any water that’s released has completely evaporated. (Nearly all ground turkey will release some water, even if you buy high-quality ground-in-store turkey.) This will take about 10 minutes; don’t rush the browning.
- Season the turkey with a little salt and fresh-ground black pepper and break apart with a turner as it cooks. (I like to use a potato masher to break the cooked turkey into small pieces.) Add the browned turkey to the bowl with the vegetables. Stir the cooked brown rice into the turkey/vegetable mixture.
- In a small bowl mix together the low-fat sour cream, chicken stock, crumbled Feta, and 3/4 cup of the reduced-fat Mozzarella. Gently mix the sour cream mixture into the rice/meat/vegetables mixture.
- Put it into the sprayed casserole dish and spread around so it’s slightly pressed down and flat. Top with the other 1 1/4 cups grated low-fat Mozzarella.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, then remove the lid (or foil) and bake another 20 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and the whole casserole is bubbling. Serve hot.
This keeps for several days in the refrigerator and also freezes well. It can be reheated in a tightly covered dish in the oven or in the microwave.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 636Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 16gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 182mgSodium: 888mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 44g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Casserole with Brown Rice, Ground Turkey, Green Pepper, Mushrooms, and Feta is loaded with low-glycemic ingredients, but it’s limited to Phase 2 or 3 for the South Beach Diet and not suitable for low-carb diets because of the brown rice. It’s recommended to use lean ground turkey and reduced-fat cheese for South Beach. For a lower-carb casserole with these flavors, I would use more turkey and peppers and less rice.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.