Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken (Video)
This delicious Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken is quick, easy to make, low in carbs, and can be served in a variety of ways! And if you like Asian flavors, you’ll want to make this over and over!
This new recipe for Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken was inspired by cooking experiences from my past. Years ago I learned to make Teriyaki Chicken from a friend who’d lived in Hawaii and gotten the recipe there from a Japanese friend.
That Teriyaki Chicken recipe was delicious (but loaded with sugar) so in the early days of the blog I adapted it into Sugar-Free Teriyaki Chicken, replacing the sugar with a low-carb Sweetener.
And even though Kara and I looked at recipes around the web when we decided to try making this in the Instant Pot, it was the perfect easy 5-ingredient sauce from that earlier recipe that mostly inspired the Teriyaki Chicken we came up with!
This flavorful chicken only needs four minutes under pressure; then we removed the strips of chicken and broke it apart into chunks while we simmered the sauce. We did thicken the sauce with some cornstarch, but this is still very low in carbs!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- soy sauce or Gluten-Free Soy Sauce (affiliate link)
- Golden Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate link)
- Minced Garlic (affiliate link)
- Minced Ginger (affiliate link)
- Sesame Seeds (affiliate link) for garnish (optional)
Is this an authentic Teriyaki Chicken Recipe?
Let me state clearly that I have no idea of the recipe I got from that friend is an authentic recipe for Teriyaki Chicken! But it has ingredients like soy sauce, garlic, and ginger which are traditional in Teriyaki Chicken, and definitely doesn’t have some of the ingredients often seen in Americanized versions of this classic dish. And this recipe is delicious and easy to make!
What can you serve with Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken?
- We made Easy Cauliflower Rice with Garlic and Green Onion and served the chicken over that for a rice-bowl meal.
- You could make a rice bowl with Palmini Rice (affiliate link) if you prefer that.
- I would also love this chicken over Spicy Cilantro Peanut Slaw for a cabbage bowl meal.
- The Teriyaki Chicken would be delicious served over steamed broccoli or barely-wilted spinach.
- I would gobble it up served over lightly sauteed Zucchini Noodles or served with Air Fryer Asian Green Beans.
- It would be amazing with Stir-Fried Bok Choy.
- And of course you can also serve the chicken over cooked rice, brown rice, or even Quinoa if your diet includes that.
What Size Instant Pot Did I use?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot (affiliate link) for all my Instant Pot Recipes.
Want more ideas for Instant Pot Dinners?
Check out my growing collection of Instant Pot Recipes! Check out Low-Carb and Keto Instant Pot Dinners with Chicken at my other site, Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker.
How to make Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Trim chicken and cut into strips.
- Mix ingredients to make the sauce.
- Spray the the Instant Pot with non-stick spray.
- Add chicken to Instant Pot and pour sauce over.
- Set to MANUAL, HIGH TEMPERATURE, 4 MINUTES.
- When time finishes, let the Instant Pot NATURAL RELEASE for 10 minutes, then release rest of pressure.
- Remove chicken to cutting board.
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE, HIGH and let sauce come to a simmer.
- Mix cornstarch with water, and whisk into sauce. Let cook until the mixture is thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Break chicken apart and stir back into sauce.
- Serve hot. We served it over Easy Cauliflower Rice with Garlic and Green Onion for a rice-bowl meal.
More Chicken in the Instant Pot:
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Instant Pot Sriracha Chicken Tacos
- Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Rice Bowl
- Instant Pot Chinken Tinga
- Instant Pot Greek Chicken Tacos
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup soy sauce or Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 T Golden Monkfruit Sweetener (see notes)
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 T minced ginger
- 2 T cornstarch
- sesame seeds for garnish, optional
- Trim chicken breasts and cut into thick crosswise strips.
- Mix soy sauce, water, Golden Monkfruit Sweetener, minced garlic, and minced ginger to make the sauce.
- Spray the inside of the Instant Pot with non-stick spray.
- Add chicken strips to Instant Pot and pour the sauce over.
- Set Instant Pot to MANUAL, HIGH TEMPERATURE, 4 MINUTES.
- When cooking time ends, let the Instant Pot NATURAL RELEASE for 10 minutes, then release the rest of the pressure.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board.
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE, HIGH TEMPERATURE and let sauce come to a simmer.
- Mix cornstarch with 2 T water, and whisk into sauce in the Instant Pot. Let it cook until the mixture is thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Break chicken apart into bite-sized pieces and stir back into sauce.
- Serve hot. We served the chicken over Easy Cauliflower Rice with Garlic and Green Onion for a rice-bowl meal.
I'm a huge fan of Golden Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate link), but use the sweetener you prefer for this recipe. You can use fresh minced garlic and ginger root, or minced garlic and minced ginger from a jar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 1772mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 28g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken made with Golden Monkfruit Sweetener should be suitable for any low-carb or low-glycemic diet plan or for any phase of the original South Beach Diet. Nutritional information is for chicken only, so be sure to choose other low-carb side dishes if you’re wanting a low-carb meal.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Instant Pot to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.