Sheila’s Low-Carb Shrimp Dip
If you’re looking for a low-carb appetizer that’s really a treat, Sheila’s Low-Carb Shrimp Dip is a recipe you’ll make over and over. And if you serve it with healthy veggie dippers, this tasty dip is low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, and gluten-free. Use Appetizers to see more recipes like this one!
Sheila’s Low-Carb Shrimp Dip is a recipe I got from a lovely woman named Sheila who was the school secretary at my school for many of the years I taught elementary school. Every year when people had to bring a treat during December Sheila would bring this dip, and the faculty and staff at the school would devour it! Then when I started blogging Sheila gave me the recipe, and I first shared it on the blog more than 10 years ago, yikes! Ever since then the recipe has been hanging out in the archives with a photo that wouldn’t be likely to make you want to try it, so I decided to give this recipe a photo update! And my talented niece Kara did the food styling; don’t you think she made it look delicious?
If you’re trying to follow any type of a carb-conscious eating plan, I know only too well how challenging that can be during the holidays! But I promise you this low-carb shrimp dip is so delicious that it can really help keep you away from chips, cookies, and candies on a holiday buffet. This would make a great appetizer for Thanksgiving or Christmas, but truthfully it’s great any time of year. I’m pretty sure that Sheila used to make this with drained, canned shrimp back in the day, but we used frozen shrimp that’s thawed and drained well, and the chunks of shrimp really make it a treat. And we ate the dip with celery and bell pepper strips, both of which are considered to be some of The World’s Healthiest Foods.
Pin or bookmark Sheila’s Low-Carb Shrimp Dip right now so you’ll have it when you need something to take to a holiday party! I promise this is one of those recipes you’ll want to make over and over.
How to Make Sheila’s Low-Carb Shrimp Dip:
(This is just a summary of the steps; scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Thaw frozen shrimp in the refrigerator overnight, then let it drain well in a colander placed in the sink.
- While shrimp drains, use a food processor to buzz the softened cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, Beau Monde Seasoning (affiliate link) or celery salt, and dried dill weed (affiliate link).
- Chop up the drained shrimp, green onion, and red bell pepper. Stir shrimp and vegetables into the sour cream/cream cheese mixture.
- This is best if it’s chilled for a few hours.
- Then when it’s time to serve, grab some veggies and enjoy!
We loved it with red pepper strips and celery for a festive look, but you can use any healthy veggies you’d like to dip into this.
More Healthy Low-Carb Dips to Eat with Veggies:
Southwestern Ranch Dip with Sweet Mini-Pepper Scoops ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
4-Ingredient Dill Pickle Dip ~ Spend with Pennies
Grandma Denny’s From-Scratch Ranch Style Vegetable Dip ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Creamy Cucumber Dill Yogurt Dip ~ It’s Yummi
Greek Yogurt and Tahini Dip for Tomatoes and Cucumbers ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Yogurt and Feta Dip ~ A Family Feast
Sheila's Low-Carb Shrimp Dip
If you’re looking for a low-carb appetizer that’s really a treat, Sheila’s Low-Carb Shrimp Dip is a recipe you’ll make over and over.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream (or for more protein you can use cottage cheese that’s pureed in the food processor)
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Beau Monde Seasoning (or celery salt, see notes)
- 2 tsp. dried dill weed (see notes)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (one large pepper, cut in pieces about 3/8 inch)
- 2 cups frozen cooked shrimp, thawed and cut in pieces about 3/8 inch
- fresh low-carb veggies to serve with the dip such as celery, red pepper strips, sugar snap peas, cauliflower, broccoli, jicama, etc.
- Let shrimp thaw overnight in refrigerator, then drain well. If they seem wet, I wrap them in a paper towel and squeeze out as much moisture as I can.
- Use food processor to blend together the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, Beau Monde Seasoning (or celery salt), and dried dill weed. Remove from food processor and put into mixing bowl.
- Stir in chopped green onion and chopped bell pepper, then gently fold in shrimp.
- Chill dip for at least an hour before serving for best flavor.
- Serve with celery, red pepper strips, sugar snap peas, cauliflower, broccoli, jicama, or other veggie dippers of your choice.
This recipe is dedicated to the memory of Sheila Krogue, who died in 2015. She made everyone laugh at West Bountiful Elementary, and I’m sure everyone who worked with her will remember this shrimp dip.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Shrimp Dip with low-carb veggies specified is great for any low-carb or low-glycemic eating plan, including Keto. It’s also great for any phase of the South Beach Diet, but South Beach would prefer reduced-fat dairy products.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type index pages to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.