Crockpot Sausage, Peppers, and Bean Stew
Make this Crockpot Sausage, Peppers, and Bean Stew on the weekend and you might have some leftovers to eat during the week! And if you’d like a version with less carbs, just use more sausage and peppers and less beans in this tasty stew.
I’m one of those people who can eat soup or stew all the time and never get tired of it, and sometimes my best recipes are inspired by things in the fridge that need to get used. In the case of this Crockpot Sausage, Peppers, and Bean Stew, it was a red pepper and a green pepper hanging out in the crisper that provided the motivation for this crockpot stew with pepper, beans, and hot turkey Italian sausage.
I ate this with a generous sprinkling of Parmesan cheese on a day when it was too cold to want to go anywhere, and it was a perfect lunch for a cold winter day. And I had enough left to make a couple of lunches during the week, FTW!
How to Make Crockpot Sausage, Peppers, and Bean Stew:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Saute chopped onion, chopped red bell pepper, and chopped green bell pepper in olive oil until they are starting to soften, then add to slow cooker.
- Squeeze turkey Italian Sausage out of the casing and brown in the same pan, adding a bit more olive oil if needed, then add sausage to slow cooker.
- Add Cannellini beans (or whatever type of beans you prefer), petite diced tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano, ground fennel (affiliate link), black pepper and bay leaves to slow cooker.
- Pour 4 cups chicken stock over the other ingredients and stir to combine. Cook on high for about 4 hours or on low for 8 hours (or a bit longer won’t hurt).
- I cooked the stew on high for just a little over 4 hours and it was perfect.
- Serve hot, with plenty of parmesan cheese to sprinkle over at the table.
More Recipes with Cannellini Beans:
Cannellini Bean and Sausage Stew from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cannellini Vinaigrette from The Perfect Pantry
CrockPot Bean Soup with Ham and Kale from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Turkey and Cannellini Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 T + 1 tsp. olive oil
- 19.5 oz. package hot turkey Italian sausage
- two 15.5 oz. cans Cannellini beans, rinsed in cold water until no more foam appears (see notes)
- two 14.5 oz. cans petite dice tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried Greek Oregano
- 1 tsp. ground fennel
- ground pepper to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth (see notes)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Chop onions, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper into pieces about 1/2 inch square.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, then saute onions and peppers until they begin to soften, then add to slow cooker.
- Squeeze Italian sausage out of casings and add to frying pan, adding a bit more olive oil.
- Brown sausage well, breaking apart with turner as it cooks, then add to slow cooker.
- Pour beans into a colander placed in the sink and rinse with cold water until no more foam appears, then add to slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes with juice, dried basil, dried Greek Oregano (affiliate link), ground fennel (affiliate link), black pepper and bay leaves to slow cooker.
- Pour homemade chicken stock or chicken broth over other ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cook on high about 4 hours or on low for all day.
- Serve hot, with freshly grated parmesan cheese for sprinkling on the stew.
Use any type of beans you prefer. You can also use 3 cups cooked beans. If you don't have homemade chicken stock just use 2 cans chicken broth and add a little water to make 4 cups.
This recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from a red and green bell pepper hanging out in the crisper.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 1252mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 32g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
When it’s made with turkey Italian Sausage, this Crockpot Sausage, Peppers, and Bean Stew is perfect for any phase of the original South Beach Diet, which allows low-glycemic dried beans in small amounts, even for phase one. Since this recipe has a generous amount of vegetables and sausage in proportion to the beans, it would be great for phase one. You could make a delicious stew with less carbs by increasing the amount of sausage and peppers and using less beans, and for low-carb diets you might prefer pork sausage.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Stew Recipes to find more recipes like this one.Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!