Chicken Seasoning Rub
This Chicken Seasoning Rub is a delicious herb rub to use on any kind of chicken that’s being roasted, pan-fried, or baked.
(Years ago Kalyn’s Kitchen was featured as part of Holiday Recipes at Oprah.com, and this was one of the recipes being featured there. You can check out Spice Blends to Make for a Homemade Food Gift to see other spice blends I’ve enjoyed.)
I’ve been doing a series of posts about homemade herb blends to give as gifts. I started with Rosemary salt, then I wrote about Kalyn’s Herb Blend, and my final recipe is for this wonderful Chicken Seasoning Rub. This is a blend with lots of herbs that compliment the flavor of baked, pan-fried, or roasted chicken, plus the addition of paprika and a bit of cayenne pepper so you can create that slightly spicy rotisserie chicken flavor at home.
Why am I making my own chicken seasoning?
I got interested in creating a seasoning rub for chicken after I came to love the Szeged Chicken Rub (affiliate link) and then for a long time I couldn’t find it in the stores or online. Now that it seems to be always in stock at Amazon, you can’t go wrong with that product if you’d prefer to just buy a chicken seasoning blend.
When I decided to make my own chicken seasoning, I wasn’t trying for a rub exactly like the Szeged Chicken Rub; mine has more herbs that are traditionally used on roast chicken like thyme, sage, and rosemary. Anyone who likes roast chicken would enjoy this seasoning rub, but it’s also great on any kind of chicken that’s baked or pan-fried.
How to Make Chicken Seasoning Rub:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
1. Here’s the assortment of herbs and spices of various brands I combined to make this, from a big drawer full of spices where I keep large sizes I buy when they’re on sale. (I have more bottles of herbs and spices than any cook really needs, but I’m good at sharing!)
2. The cayenne pepper and paprika give it a lovely salmon color, and it makes the outside of the chicken a beautiful color when it browns.
3. You can put this in jars, but if you’re giving it away to a lot of people like I often do, you might just want to opt for small plastic bags. I stapled on my business card, designed by the fabulous Rand.
Suggested uses for Chicken Rub:
- Wash whole chicken and dry with paper towels. Rub outside of the chicken with olive oil or butter, then rub on about 1 T Roast Chicken Seasoning Rub. Roast or cook on rotisserie, about 15-20 minutes per pound, or until chicken tests 165F/75C degrees with Instant Read Meat Thermometer (affiliate link).
- This is a perfect recipe to season any of my chicken bake recipes or sheet pan meals with chicken. (You can find those in Chicken Recipes.)
- This would be a tasty addition to any marinade for grilled chicken breasts.
- This seasoning rub would also be great on pork roast, as a seasoning blend for slightly-spicy roasted vegetables, or as a seasoning for sweet-potato fries.
More Herb and Spice Blends from Kalyn:
- 1 1/2 cup garlic powder
- 1/2 cup dried thyme
- 1/2 cup dried parsley
- 1/3 cup onion powder
- 1/3 cup rubbed sage
- 1/3 cup dried rosemary (use cracked rosemary, or see note below)
- 4 T sweet paprika
- 4 T cayenne pepper (or less, but this is only mildly spicy)
- If you don't have cracked rosemary, start by putting the rosemary in the food processor with a steel blade and buzzing it for 2-3 minutes, until all the dried rosemary leaves are broken into small bits.
- Then add other ingredients and process about 30 seconds, until ingredients seem well combined.
- This should be stored in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid if you're keeping it for yourself.
This recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from Szeged Chicken Rub (affiliate link).