Chicken Seasoning Rub
This Chicken Seasoning Rub is a delicious herb rub to use on any kind of chicken that’s being roasted, pan-fried, or baked. And this is a fun idea for something to give as a holiday gift, and this recipe makes plenty to give away.
I’ve been doing a series of posts about homemade herb blends to give as gifts and this recipe is for this wonderful Chicken Seasoning Rub. This is a blend with lots of herbs that compliment the flavor of baked, pan-fried, or roasted chicken, plus the addition of paprika and a bit of cayenne pepper so you can create that slightly spicy rotisserie chicken flavor at home.
Why am I making my own chicken seasoning?
When I decided to make my own chicken seasoning, it was originally because the Szeged Chicken Rub I love so much became unavailable. And this blend I came up with has been popular; anyone who likes roast chicken would enjoy this seasoning rub, but it’s also great on any kind of chicken that’s baked or pan-fried.
Want to buy Chicken Seasoning to give away?
Although really like this Chicken Seasoning Rub, I have to confess that once I started finding it again I’ve been happy to just buy Szeged Chicken Rub (affiliate link) and give that away as a holiday gift! Your choice on that!
More Spice Blend Gifts to Make or Buy:
Check out Spice Blends to Give for a Holiday Gift for lots more ideas for seasonal gifts when you don’t want to give sweets!
How to Make Chicken Seasoning Rub:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
1. Here’s the assortment of herbs and spices of various brands I combined to make this, from a big drawer full of spices where I keep large sizes I buy when they’re on sale. (I have more bottles of herbs and spices than any cook really needs, but I’m good at sharing!)
2. The cayenne pepper and paprika give it a lovely salmon color, and it makes the outside of the chicken a beautiful color when it browns.
3. You can put this in jars, but if you’re giving it away to a lot of people like I often do, you might just want to opt for small plastic bags. I stapled on my business card, designed by the fabulous Rand.
Suggested uses for Chicken Rub:
- Wash whole chicken and dry with paper towels. Rub outside of the chicken with olive oil or butter, then rub on about 1 T Roast Chicken Seasoning Rub. Roast or cook on rotisserie, about 15-20 minutes per pound, or until chicken tests 165F/75C degrees with Instant Read Meat Thermometer (affiliate link).
- This is a perfect recipe to season any of my chicken bake recipes or sheet pan meals with chicken. (You can find those in Chicken Recipes.)
- This would be a tasty addition to any marinade for grilled chicken breasts.
- This seasoning rub would also be great on pork roast, as a seasoning blend for slightly-spicy roasted vegetables, or as a seasoning for sweet-potato fries.
More Herb and Spice Blends from Kalyn:
- 1 1/2 cup garlic powder
- 1/2 cup dried thyme
- 1/2 cup dried parsley
- 1/3 cup onion powder
- 1/3 cup rubbed sage
- 1/3 cup dried rosemary (use cracked rosemary, or see note below)
- 4 T sweet paprika
- 4 T cayenne pepper (or less, but this is only mildly spicy)
- If you don't have cracked rosemary, start by putting the rosemary in the food processor with a steel blade and buzzing it for 2-3 minutes, until all the dried rosemary leaves are broken into small bits.
- Then add other ingredients and process about 30 seconds, until ingredients seem well combined.
- This should be stored in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid if you're keeping it for yourself.
This recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from Szeged Chicken Rub (affiliate link).
Historical Notes for this Recipe: