Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice
Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice has all the flavors that people love in Dirty Rice, without the carbs, and this Cauliflower Dirty Rice is so tasty and easy to make! Use Cauliflower Recipes to find more tasty ideas with cauliflower.
Dirty Rice is a Creole or Cajun dish that combines white rice with onions, green pepper, sausage or ground beef, and chicken livers, and it’s a wonderful spicy rice dish that’s loaded with flavor. So let me start out by saying that of course this Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice isn’t authentic Louisiana Dirty rice because it uses frozen cauliflower rice instead of rice. I also used my favorite Turkey Italian Sausage and didn’t use chicken livers, although I do love them and might add some next time.
But the flavors and the idea behind my Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice definitely will remind you of Louisiana Dirty Rice! I made this with Jake and Kara on a day when it was really dark outside and I had a miserable time trying to get good photos. And I was thinking I’d make it again and try to improve the pictures, but then this morning I pulled the leftovers out of the fridge, heated it up, took one bite, and decided I needed to share the recipe right away! And this would probably be a photography challenge even on a day when the light was much better, so I hope you can overlook the fact that this isn’t overly photogenic and think about the combination of flavors!
And if you like the idea behind this dish but aren’t a cauliflower rice fan (or don’t care about the carbs,) you might enjoy Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers. That recipe has very similar flavors to this one, with an easy preparation method where the rice is cooked in the slow cooker.
Start by browning the spicy Italian sausage in a little olive oil until it’s completely cooked through and nicely browned. (If you want to add some chicken livers, chop them finely and add to the pan when the sausage is nearly done. I’d use about 1/2 cup chopped chicken livers.) While sausage cooks, cut up the green pepper (or two if you’re a green pepper fan) and one yellow onion. Remove cooked sausage to a plate, add a little more olive oil, and cook the chopped green pepper and onion over medium-high heat until they’re starting to soften, about 4 minutes.
Then add the minced garlic and cook a minute or two more. Break apart the frozen cauliflower rice inside the bag, then open and add it to the skillet. Cook over high heat, turning often, until the rice is cooked through and excess water has evaporated. This will take 7-8 minutes for most cauliflower rice.
Then add the cooked sausage back into the pan and gently stir into the rice. Add the Spike Seasoning, salt and pepper. Taste for spiciness, and add a little Creole Seasoning or Cayenne Pepper if you’d like it a bit spicier. Cook 3-4 minutes more, or until the sausage is heated through. Garnish with sliced green onions and serve hot.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
happily eat a bowl of this and call it a one-dish meal, but if you wanted to add more protein this would taste great with Low-Carb Skillet Chicken with Roasted Lemons, Quick and Easy Low-Carb Spicy Broiled Shrimp, or Low-Carb Herb-Marinated Air Fryer (or Oven) Chicken Thighs.
More Tasty Ideas with Cauliflower Rice
20 Amazing Low-Carb Dinners with Cauliflower Rice ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Brown Butter Cauliflower Rice ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Low-Carb Fried Cauliflower Rice with Shrimp, Sugar Snap Peas, and Red Pepper ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Mexican Fiesta Cauliflower Rice ~ Boulder Locavore
Roasted Cauliflower Rice with Red Pepper, Green Onion, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Greek Artichoke Cauliflower Rice Salad ~ Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Low-Carb Ground Beef Cauliflower Rice Taco Bowls ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice
If you like Dirty Rice but don’t want the carbs, you have to try this Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice!
- 1 pkg. (19.5 oz) uncooked hot Italian turkey sausage or pork sausage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped chicken livers (completely optional, but traditional in Dirty Rice)
- 2 tsp. + 1 T olive oil
- 1 or 2 green peppers chopped (We only used one pepper, but next time I’d probably use two.)
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 T minced garlic (Minced garlic from a jar is fine for this recipe.)
- 20 oz. frozen cauliflower rice (We used two 10 oz. packages. If you’re using frozen cauliflower rice from a big bag you need about 5 1/2 cups.)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use any all-purpose seasoning that you like)
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper or 1/2 tsp. Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (more or less to taste)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- sliced green onions for garnish (optional)
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, and when the oil is hot squeeze the sausage out of the casings, break apart with a turner, and cook until sausage is completely cooked through and nicely browned. (If you want to add some chicken livers, chop them finely and add to the pan when the sausage is nearly done. I’d use about 1/2 cup chopped chicken livers.)
- While sausage cooks, cut up the green pepper (or two if you’re a green pepper fan) and one yellow onion.
- When sausage is done, remove cooked sausage to a plate, add the one tablespoon of olive oil, and cook the chopped green pepper and onion over medium-high heat until they’re starting to soften, about 4 minutes. (Don’t worry if it seems like too much olive oil, because you’ll be adding the cauliflower rice.
- When the onions are starting to brown, add the minced garlic and cook a minute or two more.
- Break apart the frozen cauliflower rice inside the bag, then open and add it to the skillet. Turn heat to high and cook the cauliflower rice mixture, turning often, until the rice is cooked through and excess water has evaporated. This will take about 7-8 minutes for most cauliflower rice.
- Then add the cooked sausage back into the pan and gently stir into the rice. Season with Spike Seasoning, salt, and pepper. Taste for spiciness, and add a little Creole Seasoning or Cayenne Pepper if you’d like it a bit spicier.
- Cook the mixture 3-4 minutes more on high (or medium high if it seems like it is getting too hot. Cook until the sausage is heated through.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and serve hot.
- The will keep in the fridge for a day or two and can be reheated in the microwave or in a hot frying pan.
I love Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning and would use that for this dish if you have some, but Cayenne Pepper will be fine if you don’t want to buy another seasoning mix.
This recipe was inspired by Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers and tested with Jake and Kara.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice is a good dish for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, including any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. (New recipes won’t show up in Yummly right away and information there is not always 100% accurate.) Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.