Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice (Video)
Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice has all the flavors that people love in Dirty Rice, without so many carbs, and this Cauliflower Dirty Rice is tasty and easy to make!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice!
Dirty Rice is a Creole or Cajun dish that combines white rice with onions, green pepper, sausage or ground beef, and chicken livers, and it’s a wonderful spicy rice dish that’s loaded with flavor. So let me start out by saying that of course this Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice isn’t authentic Louisiana Dirty rice because it uses frozen cauliflower rice instead of rice. I also used my favorite Turkey Italian Sausage and didn’t use chicken livers, although I do love them and might add some next time.
But the flavors and the idea behind my Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice definitely will remind you of Louisiana Dirty Rice! I made this with Jake and Kara on a day when it was really dark outside and I had a miserable time trying to get good photos. And I was thinking I’d make it again and try to improve the pictures, but then this morning I pulled the leftovers out of the fridge, heated it up, took one bite, and decided I needed to share the recipe right away! And this would probably be a photography challenge even on a day when the light was much better, so I hope you can overlook the fact that this isn’t overly photogenic and think about the combination of flavors!
And if you like the idea behind this dish but aren’t a cauliflower rice fan (or don’t care about the carbs,) you might enjoy Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers. That recipe has very similar flavors to this one, with an easy preparation method where the rice is cooked in the slow cooker.
How to Make Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Start by browning the spicy Italian sausage in a little olive oil until it’s completely cooked through and nicely browned. (If you want to add some chicken livers, chop them finely and add to the pan when the sausage is nearly done. I’d use about 1/2 cup chopped chicken livers.)
- While sausage cooks, cut up the green pepper (or two if you’re a green pepper fan) and one yellow onion. Remove cooked sausage to a plate, add a little more olive oil, and cook the chopped green pepper and onion over medium-high heat until they’re starting to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Then add the minced garlic and cook a minute or two more.
- Break apart the frozen cauliflower rice inside the bag, then open and add it to the skillet.
- Cook over high heat, turning often, until the rice is cooked through and excess water has evaporated. This will take 7-8 minutes for most cauliflower rice.
- Then add the cooked sausage back into the pan and gently stir into the rice. Add the Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), salt, and pepper.
- Taste for spiciness, and add a little Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (affiliate link) or Cayenne Pepper if you’d like it a bit spicier. Cook 3-4 minutes more, or until the sausage is heated through.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and serve hot.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
I would happily eat a bowl of this and call it a one-dish meal, but if you wanted to add more protein this would taste great with Low-Carb Skillet Chicken with Roasted Lemons, Quick and Easy Low-Carb Spicy Broiled Shrimp, or Low-Carb Herb-Marinated Air Fryer (or Oven) Chicken Thighs.
More Tasty Ideas with Cauliflower Rice
20 Amazing Low-Carb Dinners with Cauliflower Rice ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Brown Butter Cauliflower Rice ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Low-Carb Fried Cauliflower Rice with Shrimp ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Mexican Fiesta Cauliflower Rice ~ Boulder Locavore
Roasted Cauliflower Rice with Red Pepper, Green Onion, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Greek Artichoke Cauliflower Rice Salad ~ Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Low-Carb Ground Beef Cauliflower Rice Taco Bowls ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Use two green peppers if you're really a fan. We used two 10 oz. packages of frozen cauliflower rice. If you're using frozen cauliflower rice from a big bag you need about 5 1/2 cups. I love Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (affiliate link) and would use that for this dish if you have some, but Cayenne Pepper will be fine if you don't want to buy another seasoning mix. This recipe was inspired by Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers and tested with Jake and Kara. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 461mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Use two green peppers if you're really a fan.
We used two 10 oz. packages of frozen cauliflower rice. If you're using frozen cauliflower rice from a big bag you need about 5 1/2 cups.
I love Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (affiliate link) and would use that for this dish if you have some, but Cayenne Pepper will be fine if you don't want to buy another seasoning mix.
This recipe was inspired by Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers and tested with Jake and Kara.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Dirty Rice is a good dish for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, including any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dishes to find more tasty ideas with cauliflower. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.