Balsamic Spinach Salad with Mushrooms, Onions, and Feta
Balsamic Spinach Salad with Mushrooms, Onions, and Feta is a delicious option when you’re cooking for vegetarians!
This Balsamic Spinach Salad with Mushrooms, Onions, and Feta is a recipe that was inspired by Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta. I came up with this version when I was cooking dinner for my dad and stepmother; I had some spinach and wanted to make spinach salad, but she doesn’t eat pork, so I used red onions and sauteed mushrooms instead of the bacon.
This is a low carb, gluten-free, full-of-healthy-ingredients salad. And if you don’t think there’s such a thing as food blog synchronicity, check out this spinach salad from Superspark; when I saw it I couldn’t believe how similar it looked! Emily’s salad has a dressing made with tahini, and I think it might be the next spinach salad recipe I’m going to try!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
To make a low-carb meal featuring this Balsamic Spinach Salad with Mushrooms, Onions, and Feta, serve with something like Very Greek Grilled Chicken or Chicken and Veggie Kabobs with Garlic and Basil.
Yes, I Really Like Spinach Salad!
- 4 handfuls fresh spinach, washed and dried if needed
- 1/4 red onion, cut into thin strips about 1 1/2 inches long
- 8 large mushrooms, sliced
- 2 T + 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. garlic puree or crushed fresh garlic
- 2 T crumbled Feta cheese
- Put washed spinach into large bowl, big enough to toss salad in.
- Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic puree in small bowl and whisk together.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in 12 inch frying pan.
- Add onions and cook 2 minutes, until barely starting to soften.
- Add mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are soft and any liquid that releases is evaporated.
- Add dressing mixture to the onion/mushrooms mixture and let come barely to a simmer, then pour immediately over spinach and toss.
- Arrange salad on 2 serving plates, crumble feta over, and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This meatless salad is a great dish for low-carb diet plans, and for any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes to find more salads like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.