Vegetarian Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce
Vegetarian Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce is a layered casserole with brown rice, broccoli, a creamy curry sauce, and just enough cheese to make it good! Use Casserole Recipes to find more tasty casseroles!
Now that I’ve officially been given the title of Casserole Queen, it seemed fun to challenge myself with creating more meatless casseroles. This Vegetarian Curried Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce is an idea that just popped into my head one day, although it’s definitely a riff on the Better-than-Mom’s Chicken, Broccoli, and Quinoa Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce that I made nearly two years ago. Once I had the idea in mind, it actually took Jake and I three tries to get this one just right (although we happily gobbled up the first two tries as well.)
If you’re looking for a new dinner idea for Meatless Monday, I think most family members will like this one, as long as they like broccoli. I kept the curry flavor mild with the idea that kids could enjoy this, but if you like spicy curries you can increase the heat, or even use all hot curry powder.
We increased the amount of broccoli each time we tested the recipe, and the final version calls for 8 cups of small broccoli flowerets. Cook the broccoli in boiling salted water for exactly two minutes, and then drain it into a colander placed in the sink. While the broccoli cooks, saute the onion in a little olive oil until it starts to brown; then add the sweet and hot curry powder and cook 2-3 minutes more. Mix in the cooked brown rice and stir to get the curry flavor distributed and cook long enough to heat the rice. Whisk together the sour cream, mayo, mayo, lemon juice, and sweet curry powder.
In an 8″ x 8″ casserole dish with high sides, start with a layer of half the rice. Then put half the blanched broccoli. Spread over half the curry sauce.
Top with half the cheese.Then make another layer of each of rice, broccoli, sauce, and cheese. Bake at 375F/190C for about 30 minutes, or until casserole is slightly bubbling and lightly browned on top.
More Meatless Recipes with Brown Rice:
Spinach and Feta Casserole with Brown Rice and Parmesan from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Vegan Red Curry Tofu and Kale with Brown Rice from The Perfect Pantry
Greek Inspired Leftover Brown Rice Casserole with Red Pepper, Onions, and Feta from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Vegetarian Curried Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce
Vegetarian Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce is a layered casserole with just enough cheese to make it good!
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (I use Uncle Ben’s Brown Rice)
- 8 cups fresh broccoli, cut into small flowerets (about 20 oz. broccoli)
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 2 tsp. olive
- 1 tsp. sweet curry powder (any curry powder that’s not labeled hot will probably work for this)
- 1/2 tsp hot curry powder (sometimes called Madras curry powder; you can skip this if cooking for kids or increase for a spicier dish)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt salt
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional, but good)
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 3 T fresh squeezed lemon juice (I used my frozen lemon juice)
- 1 1/2 tsp. sweet curry powder
- Cook brown rice according to package directions or using a rice cooker to get 4 cups cooked brown rice.
- When rice is nearly done, cut broccoli into small flowerets to get 8 cups broccoli. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add about 1 tsp. salt, and cook the broccoli exactly 2 minutes. Drain broccoli into a colander placed in the sink.
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the onion, and saute over medium-high heat until onion is starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the sweet and hot curry powder and cook 1-2 minutes more. Add the cooked rice and stir to coat with the oil and curry powder, then cook a couple of minutes to to heat the rice (if needed.)
- Whisk together sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, and sweet curry powder to make the sauce.
- Spray an 8″ x 8″ glass casserole dish with non-stick spray. (I used my new favorite casserole dish; if you don’t have a dish that’s this deep, use a slightly larger one.)
- Make layers with half the rice mixture, half the broccoli, half the curry sauce, and half the cheese, spreading out to make an even layer with each ingredient. Make a second layer each of rice mixture, broccoli, curry sauce, and cheese.
- Bake the casserole about 30 minutes, or until casserole is starting to bubble and the cheese is lightly browned on top. Serve hot. I am guessing this freezes well, although I haven’t tried freezing it yet.
This recipe was created by Kalyn with inspiration from Better-than-Mom’s Chicken, Broccoli, and Quinoa Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you make this Vegetarian Brown Rice and Broccoli Casserole with Creamy Curry Sauce with brown rice, a generous amount of broccoli, and reduced fat sour cream, mayo, and cheese that will make this recipe suitable for Phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet. However, if you’re actively trying to lose weight, you might consider this to be a “once in a while-treat.” You could make a lower-carb version of this using less rice and more broccoli and cheese, and you may wish to use full-fat cheese and sour cream if you’re not following South Beach, but you’d probably need to switch the rice for cauliflower rice to make this suitable for most low-carb diet plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.