Air Fryer Fish Sticks
Air Fryer Fish Sticks with homemade Tartar Sauce are a fun and tasty dinner idea that’s easy enough to make whenever you’re craving fish!
I’m slowly warming up more to the Air Fryer, and these Air Fryer Fish Sticks are my latest Air Fryer experiment that turned out to be a complete winner. We used frozen cod that we thawed overnight, drained, and then sliced crosswise to make short pieces of fish. We dipped the fish in egg and then in almond meal that was seasoned with fish rub and a little black pepper. The fish sticks only take 10-12 minutes to cook in the Air Fryer, and then we devoured them with my favorite Double Dill Homemade Tartar Sauce.
We purposely kept this recipe simple because we wanted to let the flavor of the fish really shine through. But if you wanted to add something like Spicy Old Bay Seasoning or another seasoning blend that’s good with fish to the almond flour mixture, go ahead and let your creative cooking juices flow!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- cod, halibut, or other thick white fish fillets
- Almond Flour (affiliate link)
- Fish Rub. preferably Szeged Fish Rub (affiliate link)
- 1/4 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- Tartar Sauce (homemade or purchased)
Which Air Fryer Did I Use?
I originally bought a NuWave Air Fryer and used it a few times to make Air Fryer Spicy Sweet Potato Fries. Then I discovered the Cuisinart Convection Air Fryer Toaster Oven which is the one I used for this recipe. This air fryer has a larger basket, which lets me fit 16 fish sticks, and I find this model very easy to use. I also like the convenience of having an air fryer that stays out on the counter. If you have a smaller air fryer model you might not be able to fit quite so many fish sticks. (Air fryer links are affiliate links.) Use Air Fryer Recipes to see the other Air Fryer recipes on this site.
What if I don’t Have an Air Fryer?
I’m not trying to convince you to buy an air fryer; you can bake them at 475F/245C for about 20 minutes if you want to cook the fish sticks in the oven.
How to Make Air Fryer Fish Sticks:
(This is just a summary of what’s in the photos; see the recipe below for complete instructions including nutritional information.)
- Thaw the fish pieces overnight in the fridge if frozen.
- Then drain fish well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut fish crosswise into short strips about 1 inch wide.
- Prepare two bowls, one with beaten eggs and the other with a mixture of almond flour (affiliate link) Szeged Fish Rub (affiliate link), and a little freshly-ground black pepper. (I used my favorite Szeged Fish Rub (affiliate link) but any good tasting brand will be fine.)
- Set Air Fryer to 390F/200 C. Preheat the air fryer if needed.
- Then dip each piece of fish first into the egg and then into the almond flour mixture.
- Cook the fish 10-12 minutes, checking it after 10 minutes to see if you need more time.
- We used our fingers to turn the fish once, but it probably wasn’t 100% necessary.
- Serve hot with Double Dill Homemade Tartar Sauce or your favorite tartar sauce!
This dinner idea will be a hit with the whole family!
Make it a Meal:
More Tasty Low-Carb Fish Dinners:
Fish Taco Cabbage Bowls ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Fisherman’s Pie ~ I Breathe I’m Hungry
Salmon Patties with Tartar Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Fantasy Fish Cakes with Aioli Sauce ~ Beauty and the Foodie
Low-Carb and Keto Baked Fish Dinners ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 4 pieces of cod, halibut, or other thick white fish fillets
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp. Fish Rub (see notes)
- 1/4 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- Tartar Sauce for serving (We loved this with my Double-Dill Homemade Tartar Sauce, see notes.)
- Thaw the cod, halibut, or other thick white fish pieces overnight in the fridge if frozen. Then drain fish well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut fish crosswise into short strips about 1 inch wide. We got 16 strips from four fish fillets, but if your Air Fryer is a smaller model you might not be able to cook that much at once.
- Prepare two bowls, one with beaten eggs and the other with a mixture of the almond flour (affiliate link), Fish Rub, and a little freshly-ground black pepper.
- Set Air Fryer to 390F/200 C. Preheat the air fryer if needed. We sprayed the Air Fryer basket with non-stick spray.
- When you're ready to cook, dip each piece of fish first into the egg and then into the almond flour mixture, sprinkling almond flour over with your fingers so the fish is lightly coated. Lay the fish sticks in the Air Fryer basket as you coat them.
- Cook the fish 10-12 minutes, starting to check after about 7-8 minutes minutes to see if you need to rotate the fish. (We turned them over once but I'm not sure it was essential because the Air Fryer circulates the hot air around the food.) At 10 minutes check to see if you need a bit more time.
- Fish is done when it feels firm to the touch and is lightly browned on the outside.
- Serve hot, with Tartar Sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
- If this makes more than you'll eat at one time you can refrigerate the fish and reheat in the Air Fryer.
- You can use the ingredients from this recipe and the cooking instructions for Whole Wheat Panko and Almond Crusted Oven-Baked Fish Sticks to cook this in the oven without an Air Fryer. (Notice that recipe is not low-carb so be sure to use these ingredients for Low-Carb fish sticks!)
We loved this recipe with my Ultra Easy Double Dill Tartar Sauce, but no judgements here if you prefer to just buy a purchased tartar sauce. Check the label though because some tartar sauce has added sugar. I absolutely love Szeged Fish Rub (affiliate link) and use it any time I'm cooking fish, but there are many brands of good fish rub that will work in this recipe. Use more or less, depending on how seasoned you want it.) Nutritional information does not include tartar sauce. Recipe created by Kalyn and tested with Jake and Kara.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 473Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 244mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 65g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Air Fryer Fish Sticks are a great dinner idea for low-carb diet plans, including Keto. Almond Flour is not allowed for Phase One of the South Beach Diet, but this would be great for the other phases.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Air Fryer Recipes or Seafood Recipes for more tasty fish dinners! Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.