Summer Squash with Feta and Basil
This delicious Summer Squash with Feta and Basil cooks the summer squash with the Feta, for a unique version of roasted squash. And don’t you think September should be roasted zucchini month?
I know zucchini season is winding down, but when I updated the photos for this Summer Squash with Feta and Basil, I decided this was just too good to save until next summer. And now that the nights are getting a little cooler but zucchini is still abundant, I think roasted zucchini is the best idea ever!
In fact, I don’t know who’s in charge of delegating certain days or months as food holidays, but I think September should be called Roasted Zucchini Month. Are you with me on that?
Of course I’m a huge Feta cheese fan, but I must say I thought this roasted squash coated with melty Feta and then sprinkled with fresh basil was just UH-MAY-ZING. As in, I could hardly stop eating it!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- yellow summer squash
- green onions
- Minced Garlic (affiliate link)
- sea-salt to taste
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- extra-virgin olive oil
- feta cheese
- fresh basil, optional (other herbs such as oregano or parsley could also be used)
What makes Summer Squash with Feta and Basil especially good?
I do have other favorite roasted zucchini recipes, but what makes this one different is that the feta cheese is sprinkled over the summer squash before it’s roasted, which lets it melt while the squash cooks and create kind of a sauce. And on my, is that an amazing combination!
A tip for success with this Summer Squash with Feta and Basil recipe:
It’s important not to have the summer squash too crowded in the roasting pan, or the liquid from the squash won’t evaporate and there will be too much liquid in the finished dish. Choose a pan where you can put all the vegetables in a single layer as much as possible.
How to make Summer Squash with Feta and Basil:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Wash the squash, cut off ends, cut lengthwise and then slice.
- Slice green onions and chop the garlic, and measure out the crumbled Feta Cheese.
- Toss the cut squash and green onions with olive oil, salt, pepper and chopped garlic, and spread out on a baking sheet, in a single layer as much as possible.
- Sprinkle Feta cheese over the squash.
- Roasted the squash 25-30 minutes, stirring once or twice if you can so the melted Feta will coat all sides of the squash.
- While the squash cooks, thinly slice the basil or whatever herbs you’re using. I used my Herb Scissors (affiliate link) to cut the basil.
- Serve hot, with basil sprinkled over!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
I think this Summer Squash with Feta and Basil would be a great side dish for Air Fryer Brats, Grilled Cuban Flank Steak, Maple Glazed Salmon, Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks, or Air Fryer Marinated Chicken Breasts.
More Delicious Zucchini Recipes to Try:
- Low-Carb and Keto Grilled Zucchini Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Instant Pot Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
- The Top Ten Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
- Recipes for Extra Large Zucchini ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 3 medium green zucchini (see notes)
- 2 medium yellow summer squash (see notes)
- 8 green onions
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced (see notes)
- sea-salt to taste
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup feta cheese, or more (measure after crumbling, loosely packed)
- 1/4 cup chiffonade of fresh basil, optional (other herbs such as oregano or parsley could also be used)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- Choose a roasting pan that will hold the vegetables in a single layer, and spray with non-stick spray or mist with olive oil.
- Wash zucchini and summer squash and trim off stem ends.
- Cut squashes lengthwise down the middle and then cut each piece into half-moon pieces about 1/2 inch thick.
- Clean the green onions and slice into diagonal pieces about 1 inch long.
- Chop the garlic. (I used my Williams-Sonoma Garlic Chopper for the garlic.)
- Put sliced squash and onions into a plastic bowl.
- Mix together olive oil, salt, pepper, and minced garlic and toss with squash.
- Arrange vegetables on roasting pan and crumble feta cheese over.
- Roast about 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are barely tender.
- Stir the vegetable-cheese mixture once or twice during roasting so melted feta is coating some of the squash by the time it’s done.
- Serve hot, with thinly sliced basil (chiffonade) or other fresh herbs sprinkled over if desired.
You can use all green zucchini or all yellow summer squash if that's what you have. Of course you can use minced garlic from a jar, but fresh garlic is best here.
This recipe originally inspired by two different now-abandoned blogs.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 334mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Summer Squash with Feta and Basil is a good side dish for low-carb or Keto diets, including any phase of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Zucchini Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type photo index pages to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This tasty recipe with summer squash, Feta, and basil was first posted in 2008 (probably with a ghastly photo that would make me shudder now!) It was last updated with more information in 2023.