Spicy Shredded Carrot Salad with Mint
Spicy Shredded Carrot Salad with Mint is an amazing salad that’s vegan, gluten-free, South Beach Diet phase two, and can be Paleo with the right hot sauce.
This Spicy Shredded Carrot Salad with Mint shows how my definition of salad has changed a lot in the time I’ve been focused on low-glycemic cooking and sharing the recipes on this blog. Although I still love classics like Perfect Taco Salad or Greek Salad, I’ve greatly expanded my mental list of salad possibilities. A few years ago I tried Carrot and Parsley Salad, and then Carrot, Parsley, and Garbanzo Salad, and that opened my mind to the idea of carrots as a main ingredient in salad.
When I spotted this shredded carrot salad from Joanne Weir in Fine Cooking Magazine, it sounded like another interesting salad combination with carrots. I ramped it up a bit, adding mint, and green onions, using more herbs, and using green Tabasco sauce in the dressing to get the jalapeno flavor throughout the salad. I love this Spicy Shredded Carrot Salad and when my brother Rand was visiting Utah recently, he also pronounced it a keeper.
Some of you will love me and some of you will hate me for this, but I used shredded carrots from a bag, which were a bit thicker than carrots you shred yourself and give a good crunch to the salad. Naturally, you can buy whole carrots and grate them yourself if you prefer. I used a generous amount of chopped cilantro and chopped mint in the salad, but I think you could use all mint or all cilantro as well. Green onions are one of my favorite ingredients, and I thought they just belonged in this salad. Slice them finely so you have small pieces. Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, and green Tabasco sauce to make a spicy dressing. Combine the shredded carrots, chopped mint, chopped cilantro and sliced green onion. Then add the dressing and stir so all ingredients are coated with the spicy dressing. Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve.
Make it a Meal:
More Salad Recipes Starring Carrots:
Spicy Shredded Carrot Salad with Mint
This Spicy Shredded Carrot Salad is an amazing salad!
- 10 oz (4 cups) shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup (or more) finely chopped mint
- 1/2 cup (or more) finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. green Tabasco sauce (could also use finely minced jalapenos or other jalapeno-flavored hot sauce)
- 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- If not using pre-shredded carrots, peel carrots and grate to make 4 cups grated carrots.
- Wash and dry mint leaves and cilantro, then finely chop.
- Thinly slice green onions.
- Mix together lime juice and green Tabasco sauce, then whisk in olive oil.
- In a medium salad bowl, mix shredded carrots, chopped mint, chopped cilantro, and sliced green onion.
- Add dressing and stir until salad ingredients are well-coated with dressing.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve.
This kept well in the fridge overnight. Mine was gone by the second day, but I’m guessing it would keep for a few days.
This recipe adapted from Shredded Carrots with Jalapeno, Lime, and Cilantro by Joanne Weir in Fine Cooking July 2009.)
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This salad would be too high in carbs for most low-carb diet plans, and it’s phase 2 or 3 for the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.