Perfect Low-Carb Taco Salad
This Perfect Low-Carb Taco Salad is something I never get tired of, and it’s ideal to prep on the weekend and eat all week fora quick meal. And of course you can vary it to add whichever taco ingredients are your personal favorites.
Even though I’m always adding recipes to the Weekend Food Prep category, recently I realized that this Perfect Low-Carb Taco Salad is the thing I prep most often on the weekend to eat during the coming week, and I didn’t really have it posted anywhere, even though there are a few variations of Taco Salad on the blog. And of course, everyone has their own preferences about what makes a perfect Taco Salad, but lately this is the one I eat over and over!
I’m a long time fan of taco salad, and back in my South Beach Diet Days I would have called Beef and Black Bean Taco Salad the perfect combination for Taco Salad. When I had to take a lunch to school that was one of the stand-by lunches that I’d always enjoy, even if I ate it several times in the same week. Now I’m watching my carbs more and I prefer taco meat without black beans, although I still like the spicy ground beef.
Usually I cook the beef for Perfect Low-Carb Taco Salad in a frying pan, then add spices and some hot sauce and water and let the meat simmer while I prep the other ingredients. But if I want to make a larger amount of meat I’ll make easy Slow Cooker Spicy Ground Beef Taco Meat and use it for this salad. That Slow Cooker Spicy Ground Beef recipe makes extra meat to go in the freezer, and the meat browns right in the slow cooker so you can do other things while it cooks.
The other things that make this a perfect taco salad for me are using a mixture of Iceberg and Romaine lettuce, using a generous amount of Ranch Dressing, and topping the salad with black olives, Mexican three cheese blend, and diced avocado. I usually skip tomatoes to avoid the added carbs, but you can add them if you’d like. If you have other ingredients that would make this salad even more perfect for you, share them in the comments!
Preparing the Meat for Perfect Low-Carb Taco Salad:
(Scroll down for complete recipe, including nutritional information.
- Heat some oil in the frying pan, then crumble in the ground beef and cook until it’s well-browned.
- Add the Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning, Cholula Hot Sauce (affiliate link), and 2 cups of water and let it simmer until the water has mostly evaporated.
- If you prefer (and want slightly more meat) you can make Slow Cooker Spicy Ground Beef Taco Meat to use in this recipe.
- When the water is mostly evaporated, season meat with a little salt and fresh-ground black pepper and transfer the meat you’re not using right away to the size container you prefer and let it cool to go in the fridge or freezer.
Preparing Lettuce for Perfect Low-Carb Taco Salad:
- I’m emphatic about using a Salad Spinner (affiliate link) to prepare the lettuce for Taco Salad. (You can find them all the time in thrift stores if you don’t want to spend much money on one.)
- I like a mixture of Romaine Lettuce and Iceberg Lettuce for Taco Salad.
- Tear the Romaine Lettuce apart with your fingers into small pieces, then soak in ICE COLD water in the salad spinner for a few minutes. Then remove the water and spin so it’s as dry as you can get it. Transfer to a bowl.
- Repeat the same process with the iceberg lettuce. Combine the two lettuce types in the bowl.
- I use a large plastic storage container with a snap-tight lid (affiliate link) to store the extra lettuce in the fridge. If you spin your lettuce quite dry it will stay crisp for at least a week.
Assembling Perfect Low-Carb Taco Salad:
- When it’s time to assemble the Taco Salad, I am quite picky about how I do it.
- Start by putting the lettuce mixture in a bowl (2 large handfuls lettuce mixture for each salad you’re making.) Toss the lettuce with desired amount of salad dressing. (For me it would always be Ranch Dressing, and I confess I use the version you make with buttermilk and a package mix most of the time, but see below for some other dressings that would be good on this salad.)
- Then add desired amount of spicy beef (one cup per salad you’re making.) Toss the beef with the dressed lettuce until it’s well combined.
- Sliced olives (which I buy in a can already sliced), Three Cheese Mexican Blend, and diced avocado are my three must-have toppings for my idea of perfect Taco Salad, but use any toppings you prefer. Put salad in a bowl, add toppings of your choice, and enjoy.
- Store extra toppings separately in the fridge to use on salads during the week.
This is literally a low-carb lunch or dinner option that I can eat over and over and never get tired of!
Salad Dressing Ideas for Perfect Low-Carb Taco Salad:
I use Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), Kalyn's Taco Seasoning, and Cholula Hot Sauce (affiliate link) for this recipe. Use less Taco Seasoning and hot sauce if you prefer less spicy. I used grated Three Cheese Mexican Blend from Costco. If you prefer (and want slightly more meat) you can make Slow Cooker Spicy Ground Beef Taco Meat to use in this recipe. You'll need 3 lbs. ground beef for that recipe. Nutritional information does not include salad dressing of your choice or optional diced avocado. Recipe perfected by Kalyn after years and years of making Taco Salad! Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 13gUnsaturated Fat: 17.7gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 7.6gFiber: 6.2gSugar: 4gProtein: 48g
I use Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), Kalyn's Taco Seasoning, and Cholula Hot Sauce (affiliate link) for this recipe. Use less Taco Seasoning and hot sauce if you prefer less spicy. I used grated Three Cheese Mexican Blend from Costco. If you prefer (and want slightly more meat) you can make Slow Cooker Spicy Ground Beef Taco Meat to use in this recipe. You'll need 3 lbs. ground beef for that recipe.
Nutritional information does not include salad dressing of your choice or optional diced avocado.
Recipe perfected by Kalyn after years and years of making Taco Salad!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Perfect Low-Carb Taco Salad is a great dish for low-carb diet plans, and for any phase of the South Beach Diet. South Beach would recommend lean ground beef and reduced-fat cheese, and other low-carb diets would prefer higher-fat ingredients.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes for more tasty salads like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.