Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms with Thyme (VIDEO)
Cooked carrots don’t get much respect, but I promise that these Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms with Thyme are amazing, and these delicious carrots are perfect for a side dish that’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. Use Side Dish Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms with Thyme!
For a while now I’ve wanted to update this recipe for Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms with Thyme with a better photo, and when I got some lovely thin carrots at the market this week, it occurred to me that this would be perfect as a classic vegetable side dish for Thanksgiving dinner. If you’re watching your carbs or sugar intake, you may think of carrots as being high in sugar, but adding the mushrooms to this combination makes the total dish lower in carbs. And roasted mushrooms are so delicious too!
Roasted carrots are really tasty alone, but the mushrooms make this more elegant than just regular roasted carrots, and I’d serve this for a nice vegetable side dish, even for a holiday meal.
How to Make Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms with Thyme:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- You can certainly make this with those “baby” carrots that so many people seem to like, but I’d use these lovely thin organic carrots, which have a lot more flavor.
- You don’t have to peel the carrots, but I did, and then I sliced then on the diagonal in even slices about 1/4 – 3/8 inch thick.
- Toss the carrots with 1 T olive oil. salt, pepper, and 1 T of fresh thyme (or a smaller amount of dried thyme will work just fine here.)
- Spread out carrots in a single layer on a roasting pan that you’ve brushed with a little olive oil and roast for 15 minutes.
- While the carrots roast, wash mushrooms, spin dry or dry with paper towels, and slice into even slices, slightly thicker than the carrots.
- Use the same bowl you tossed the carrots in, and toss mushrooms with second T of olive oil.
- After 15 minutes, stir carrots, add mushrooms, stir again and roast 10-15 minutes more.
- Cook them until carrots are browned and tender and mushrooms are cooked and all liquid has evaporated.
- Serve Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms with Thyme hot, sprinkled with fresh parsley if desired.
More Roasted Vegetables You Might Like:
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic and Parmesan
Roasted Asparagus with Soy-Sesame Glaze
Roasted Butternut Squash with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar
Roasted Green Beans and Red Bell Pepper with Garlic and Ginger
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Avocados and Pecans
- 10 oz. carrots (see notes)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (I buy the pre-washed kind, but wash if needed)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme or 1 T chopped fresh thyme leaves
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
- Peel carrots if desired. Cut carrots on diagonal into slices about 1/4 - 3/8 inch thick. Toss carrots with 1 T olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Spread carrots on large roasting pan (it should be big enough that the carrots are in a single layer). Roast carrots 15 minutes.
- While carrots are roasting, wash mushrooms and spin dry or dry with paper towels. Slice mushrooms into even slices, slightly thicker than carrots.
- Using the same bowl as you tossed the carrots in, toss mushrooms with 1 T of olive oil.
- Remove carrots from oven, stir, add mushrooms and roast 10-15 minutes more.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with fresh parsley if using.
I used 4 medium-sized organic carrots.
This recipe was created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 189mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Protein: 2g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Carrots are too high in carbs for most low-carb eating plans, but adding mushrooms lowers the total carbs per serving in these Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms with Thyme. This would be a great side dish for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet and is also good for Paleo or Whole 30.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.