Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs
Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs has so many great flavors, and this is a perfect breakfast option for Weekend Food Prep!
It’s Labor Day weekend in the U.S. and I’m sure a lot of people are out of town enjoying the weekend. But when it’s a long weekend and you’re spending it at home, don’t you love the way that extra day gives you a chance to get caught up on things you sometimes don’t have time for? And this weekend I’m thinking about Weekend Food Prep, and this Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs is the perfect low-carb and Keto breakfast recipe to make on the weekend and have leftovers to eat for a few days!
I created the Weekend Food Prep category on the blog because of my own fondness for cooking ahead and having food in the fridge to pull out for a quick meal. That’s a habit I acquired when I was teaching school and had to plan ahead for lunches. (I didn’t want to eat the school lunch food and there was no time to go out!)
Now that I’m a full-time blogger working at home, I’m not always as good about cooking ahead on the weekend, but it’s something I’m always trying to improve on! And nothing helps me stay on track with my carb-conscious eating like having tasty food in the fridge that’s ready to eat.
Breakfast dishes like Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs are what I call Egg Bakes, and those recipes have a lot of veggies, meat, or cheese with just enough egg to hold it together, so they’re just a little different from my other breakfast casseroles that have more egg. And this recipe makes 8 servings, so hopefully you’ll be able to have enough for a few breakfasts!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- olive oil
- broccoli florets
- diced ham
- grated cheddar cheese
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) or other all-purpose seasoning blend
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
How to make this recipe:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Brown a pound of sliced mushrooms in a small amount of olive oil. (I used pre-sliced mushrooms, which made it quick.)
- I cut the broccoli into pieces that were quite small, then microwaved the broccoli for just a couple of minutes.
- Dice enough ham to make about 2 cups of small ham cubes.
- Measure out two cups of grated cheddar cheese.
- Whisk 14 eggs until whites and yolks are completely combined.
- Spray a large 10″ x 14″ glass baking dish with non-stick spray; then layer the barely cooked mushrooms and broccoli.
- Then put the diced ham and grated cheese over the vegetables.
- Season with some fresh ground pepper and a little Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) or your favorite seasoning blend to use on eggs.
- Pour eggs over, then take a fork and gently stir so the ingredients are all combined and coated with egg. I save a little cheese to sprinkle on right before it goes in the oven.
- Bake about 40-45 minutes, or until the eggs are all set and the egg bake is just starting to brown on top.
- Serve hot.
- I loved this with a dollop of low-fat sour cream on top.
Breakfast Recipes with Broccoli, Mushrooms, or Ham:
Sausage, Mushrooms, and Feta Baked with Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Frittata ~ The Food Charlatan
Broccoli, Ham, and Mozzarella Baked with Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Egg Breakfast Casserole with Broccoli and Feta ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Slow Cooker Frittata with Broccoli, Ham, and Swiss ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Poblano and Mushroom Baked Eggs ~ All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
Cottage Cheese and Egg Breakfast Muffins with Ham and Cheddar ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into fairly small pieces
- 2 cups diced ham, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 14 eggs, beaten so whites and yolks are well-combined
- 1-2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (see notes)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Spray a 10″ x 14″ glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan, then cook the sliced mushrooms over medium-high heat until they’re slightly browned and liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- While mushrooms cook, chop broccoli into small florets. Put broccoli into a glass measuring cup, cover with cling-wrap, and microwave just until broccoli barely starts to cook, about 1-2 minutes. (You can also cook the broccoli 2-3 minutes in boiling water and then drain well if you prefer that method.)
- Drain broccoli into a colander placed in the sink, and let drain while you chop the ham and measure the grated cheese.
- In baking dish layer the cooked mushrooms, barely-cooked broccoli, diced ham, and grated cheese. (I save a little cheese to sprinkle on right before it goes in the oven.)
- Season with fresh-ground black pepper and Spike Seasoning (or your favorite seasoning blend to use on eggs).
- Beat the eggs until whites and yolks are well-combined, then pour eggs over the broccoli-mushroom mixture.
- Use a fork to gently stir until all the broccoli, mushrooms, ham, and cheese are coated with egg. (It may look like you need more egg, but trust me on this!)
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the top of the egg bake is slightly browned.
- Serve hot, topped with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- I wouldn’t freeze this, but you can bake it on the weekend and keep in the fridge for breakfasts all through the week.
- Reheat in the microwave for only 1-2 minutes. or heat for a few minutes in a frying pan on the stove.
I love Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) but you can use any all-purpose seasoning that's good with eggs.
This recipe created by Kalyn when she had ingredients in the fridge that needed to be used.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 398mgSodium: 1050mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 28g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs is loaded with low-glycemic and low-carb ingredients, and as long as you use lean ham and low-fat cheddar, this would be a great breakfast dish for any phase of the South Beach Diet. It’s also perfect for other low-carb eating plans, and you could use higher-fat ham and full-fat dairy for most other low-carb diets.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Check out Breakfast Recipes for more low-carb breakfast casseroles like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.