Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs
There are so many great flavors in this Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs, and this is a perfect breakfast option to make for Weekend Food Prep! Check out Breakfast Recipes for more low-carb breakfast casseroles like this one.
It’s Labor Day weekend in the U.S. and I’m sure a lot of people are out of town enjoying the weekend. But when it’s a long weekend and you’re spending it at home, don’t you love the way that extra day gives you a chance to get caught up on things you sometimes don’t have time for? And this weekend I’m thinking about Weekend Food Prep, and this Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs is the perfect low-carb and Keto breakfast recipe to make on the weekend and have leftovers to eat for a few days! And if you use lower-fat cheese this recipe is perfectly South Beach Diet friendly as well.
I created the Weekend Food Prep category on the blog because of my own fondness for cooking ahead and having food in the fridge to pull out for a quick meal. That’s a habit I acquired when I was teaching school and had to plan ahead for lunches. (I didn’t want to eat the school lunch food and there was no time to go out!) Now that I’m a full-time blogger working at home, I’m not always as good about cooking ahead on the weekend, but it’s something I’m always trying to improve on! And nothing helps me stay on track with my carb-conscious eating like having tasty food in the fridge that’s ready to eat.
And breakfast casseroles have to be the ultimate plan-ahead breakfast idea! Breakfast dishes like Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs are what I call Egg Bakes, and those recipes have a lot of veggies, meat, or cheese with just enough egg to hold it together, so they’re just a little different from my other breakfast casseroles that have more egg. And this recipe makes 8 servings, so hopefully you’ll be able to have enough for a few breakfasts!
I came up with this recipe in 2012, using ingredients I had in the fridge to create a flavor combination that really worked. But the original photos were definitely not going to entice you to make the recipe, so I’m updating this tasty breakfast recipe with new photos and suggesting it as an option to make over the long weekend. And if this combination is not your jam, there are lots more ideas in the Breakfast Recipes, enjoy!
Brown a pound of sliced mushrooms in a small amount of olive oil. (I used pre-sliced mushrooms, which made it quick.) I cut the broccoli into pieces that were quite small, then microwaved the broccoli for just a couple of minutes. Dice enough ham to make about 2 cups of small ham cubes. Measure out two cups of grated cheddar or a cheddar cheese blend of your choice. Whisk 14 eggs until whites and yolks are completely combined.
Spray a large 10″ x 14″ glass baking dish with non-stick spray; then layer the barely cooked mushrooms and broccoli. Then put the diced ham and grated low-fat cheese over the vegetables. Season with some fresh ground pepper and a little Spike Seasoning (or your favorite seasoning blend to use on eggs). Pour eggs over, then take a fork and gently stir so the ingredients are all combined and coated with egg. I save a little cheese to sprinkle on right before it goes in the oven. (It may look like there’s not enough egg, but carry on and all will be well.) Bake about 40-45 minutes, or until the eggs are all set and the egg bake is just starting to brown on top.
Serve hot. I loved this with a dollop of low-fat sour cream on top.
Breakfasts with Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, or Cheese:
Sausage, Mushrooms, and Feta Baked with Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Frittata ~ The Food Charlatan
Broccoli, Ham, and Mozzarella Baked with Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Egg Breakfast Casserole with Broccoli and Feta ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Slow Cooker Frittata with Broccoli, Ham, and Swiss ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Poblano and Mushroom Baked Eggs ~ All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
Cottage Cheese and Egg Breakfast Muffins with Ham and Cheddar ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs
I made this Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs out of ingredients I had hanging out in the fridge, and it turned out to be a combination that was really a winner!
- 1 lb. brown or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into fairly small pieces
- 2 cups diced ham, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups grated cheddar or cheddar cheese blend
- 14 eggs, beaten so whites and yolks are well-combined
- 1-2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use your favorite all-purpose seasoning that’s good with eggs)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- sour cream for serving (optional but good)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a 10″ x 14″ glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan, then cook the sliced mushrooms over medium-high heat until they’re slightly browned and liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- While mushrooms cook, chop broccoli into small florets. Put broccoli into a glass measuring cup, cover with cling-wrap, and microwave just until broccoli barely starts to cook, about 1-2 minutes. (You can also cook the broccoli 2-3 minutes in boiling water and then drain well if you prefer that method.)
- Drain broccoli into a colander placed in the sink, and let drain while you chop the ham and measure the grated cheese.
- In baking dish layer the cooked mushrooms, barely-cooked broccoli, diced ham, and grated cheese. (I save a little cheese to sprinkle on right before it goes in the oven.) Season with fresh-ground black pepper and Spike Seasoning (or your favorite seasoning blend to use on eggs).
- Beat the eggs until whites and yolks are well-combined, then pour eggs over the broccoli-mushroom mixture. Use a fork to gently stir until all the broccoli, mushrooms, ham, and cheese are coated with egg. (It may look like you need more egg, but trust me on this!)
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the top of the egg bake is slightly browned.
- Serve hot, topped with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- I wouldn’t freeze this, but you can bake it on the weekend and keep in the fridge for breakfasts all through the week. Reheat in the microwave for only 1-2 minutes. or heat for a few minutes in a frying pan on the stove.
This recipe created by Kalyn when she had ingredients in the fridge that needed to be used.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs is loaded with low-glycemic and low-carb ingredients, and as long as you use lean ham and low-fat cheddar, this would be a great breakfast dish for any phase of the South Beach Diet. It’s also perfect for other low-carb eating plans, and you could use higher-fat ham and full-fat dairy for most other low-carb diets.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.