Sausage, Mushrooms, and Feta Baked with Eggs
Sausage, Mushrooms, and Feta Baked with Eggs is one of my favorite combinations for a delicious low-carb breakfast. And this breakfast casserole would be delicious without the mushrooms too if you’re not a mushroom fan.
I love eggs for breakfast, especially things like egg muffins and breakfast casseroles that keep in the fridge and are easy to pop into the microwave for a quick breakfast. Technically this Sausage, Mushrooms, and Feta Baked with Eggs is probably a breakfast casserole, but I didn’t call it that because my breakfast casseroles are mostly eggs, baked with other ingredients mixed in.
This dish is browned turkey or pork breakfast sausage, sauteed mushrooms, and Feta cheese baked with just a little egg to hold it together, so that the emphasis is on the other ingredients and not so much on the eggs. And oh my goodness, is this ever a delicious breakfast option!
Of course it’s no secret that I’m nuts for Feta cheese, and the combination of the Feta and the seasoned breakfast sausage was perfect in this recipe. I included this as one of my top ten low-carb breakfasts to make on the weekend and eat all week; hope you enjoy!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- turkey breakfast sausage links
- sliced mushrooms
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- crumbled feta cheese
- cream (optional)
- Spike Seasoning or any all-purpose seasoning blend (affiliate link)
- fresh-ground black pepper
- Sliced green onions (optional, but good)
How to Make Sausage, Mushrooms, and Feta Baked with Eggs:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- I cut the sausages in half and browned them for a few minutes; then put sausage in the casserole dish (that you have sprayed with non-stick spray).
- Add a little more olive oil to the pan and cook the mushrooms until they’ve released their liquid and are mostly cooked.
- Layer mushrooms, Feta, and green onions over the sausage.
- Beat the eggs with the milk or half and half and pour over, then season with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) or another all-purpose seasoning blend that’s good with eggs. I like to take a fork and stir slightly so everything is well-distributed in the eggs.
- Bake at 375F/190C until the eggs are set and starting to brown slightly on top, 30-40 minutes, depending on the dish and your oven.
- Serve hot, garnished with more green onion if desired.
- This is good with a little sour cream on top if you’re a sour cream fan like I am.
More Tasty Ideas for Breakfast:
- Breakfast Casserole with Ham and Cheese
- Cottage Cheese and Egg Breakfast Muffins with Mushrooms and Feta
- Baked Eggs with Mushrooms and Parmesan
- Egg-Crust Breakfast Pizza
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 14 oz turkey breakfast sausage links (see note)
- 16 oz. sliced mushrooms (see notes)
- 2 tsp. olive oil, or more, depending on your pan
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 8 eggs, well beaten
- 2 T cream (see notes)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (Use any all-purpose seasoning blend that’s good with eggs if you don’t have Spike.)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Sliced green onions (optional, but good)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray 9″ X 11″ casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat a little olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Cut each piece of sausage in half or thirds, then brown sausage lightly in frying pan.
- Put sausage into casserole dish, rinse the frying pan if you need to, then add a little more olive oil if needed and cook mushrooms until they’re softened and starting to brown.
- Put cooked mushrooms over the sausage, then add crumbled feta cheese and green onions.
- Beat eggs with the milk or half and half or cream, then pour eggs over the other ingredients and season with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), and black pepper if desired. I like to take a fork and stir slightly so all ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the dish.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, until eggs are well set and barely starting to brown on top. (I baked the one in these photos for about 36 minutes.) Serve hot.
- This will keep in the fridge for at least a week and can be quickly reheated in a microwave. (Don’t reheat for too long or the eggs will get rubbery.
Use pork breakfast sausage links if you prefer. I buy pre-sliced mushrooms for this. Use half and half or milk instead of cream if you prefer. This is probably optional.
This recipe was created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 376mgSodium: 946mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Sausage, Mushrooms, and Feta Baked with Eggs would be a good breakfast for most low-carb or low-glycemic eating plans and all phases of the South Beach Diet. Use the lowest fat turkey sausage you can find if you’re making this for South Beach. Other low-carb diets may prefer pork sausage, especially for Keto.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.