Mini Frittatas with Mushrooms, Cottage Cheese, and Feta (Video)
Mini Frittatas with Mushrooms, Cottage Cheese, and Feta are tasty, and they’re perfect to make on the weekend and reheat during the week!
If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you probably noticed how I love to make little breakfast tarts or mini frittatas with my favorite Mini Tart Pan (affiliate link). And when I decided to update the photos for these Mini Frittatas with Mushrooms, Cottage Cheese, and Feta, I couldn’t resist using the tart pan to make them a bit fancier.
But these are just a slightly bigger version of the Egg Muffins that have been so popular on the blog, and if you don’t want to buy a tart pan you can make them in my favorite silicone muffin cups (affiliate link), and just cook a few minutes longer for the thicker version. This is something I’d eat with a fork, maybe with a dollop of sour cream, and these mini-frittatas have lots of mushrooms and cheese for a baked egg dish that’s a fairly dense in texture and high in protein.
If you like the idea of mushrooms and Feta cheese (one of my favorite combinations in a baked egg dish!) you might also like the recipe for Low-Carb Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole! That’s delicious breakfast with mushrooms!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- mushrooms (I used brown Cremini mushrooms, also called Baby Bellas)
- olive oil
- cottage cheese
- crumbled Feta Cheese
- green onions
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link)or any type of all-purpose seasoning blend that’s good with eggs
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
What pan did I use to cook the Mini-Frittatas?
The Mini Tart Pan (affiliate link) I’m so infatuated with is perfect for these mini-frittatas. Of course if you don’t want to buy a fancy tart pan, these can certainly be made in large silicone muffin cups (affiliate link), a regular large muffin pan, or any kind of individual large ramekins or little tart pans, and they might be just slightly different sized than the ones I made. But if you do decide you want the pan (which I love, love, love) look after the recipe for more ideas of what to make in it!
Want more breakfasts with mushrooms and Feta?
If you like the idea of mushrooms and Feta cheese (one of my favorite combinations in a baked egg dish!) you might also like the recipe for Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole! That’s delicious breakfast with mushrooms!
How to make Mini-Frittatas with Mushrooms, Cottage Cheese, and Feta:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C. SprayMini Tart Pan (affiliate link) or silicone muffin cups, Jumbo size (affiliate link) with non-stick spray or mist with olive oil.
- Rinse the cottage cheese in a fine-mesh strainer and let it drain while you cook the mushrooms until they’re slightly browned and all the water has evaporated.
- Put mushrooms in the tart pans or silicone baking cups.
- Then put the drained cottage cheese, crumbled Feta, and sliced green onions on top of the mushrooms.
- Beat the eggs with the pepper and Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and pour over the mushrooms. (I like to stir gently with a fork so everything is well-combined.)
- Baked about 25 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned.
- Serve Baked Mini-Frittatas with Mushrooms, Cottage Cheese, and Feta hot, with a little sour cream on top if desired.
- These mini-frittatas can be refrigerated and quickly reheated in the microwave; don’t microwave too long or the eggs will be rubbery!
More Recipes for Baked Eggs:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 12 oz. mushrooms washed and sliced (I used brown Cremini mushrooms, also called Baby Bellas)
- 2 tsp. olive oil (or more, depending on your pan)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, rinsed and drained well
- 3/4 cup crumbled Feta Cheese
- 3 T thinly-sliced green onions
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use any type of all-purpose seasoning blend that's good with eggs)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C. Spray Mini Tart Pan (affiliate link) or 6 Jumbo Muffin Cups (affiliate link) with non-stick spray. (Or use any type of extra-large muffin cup or small ramekins, but the silicone cups will keep the egg mixture from sticking more than other types of dishes.)
- Put the cottage cheese into a fine colander and rinse with cold water until only the curds remain. Let the cottage cheese drain while you cook the mushrooms.
- Wash the mushrooms in a colander and blot dry with paper towels. Slice mushrooms into thick slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and cook mushrooms until they release all their liquid and it has evaporated and the mushrooms are lightly browned, about 6-8 minutes. Put the mushrooms into the bottom of the tart pan wells or baking cups.
- Crumble the feta cheese and thinly slice the green onions. Layer the cottage cheese, feta, and green onions on top of the mushrooms.
- Beat the eggs with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and black pepper, and divide eggs among the tart pan wells or muffin cups. Take a fork and gently "stir" the mixture so all the other ingredients are coated with egg.
- Bake the mini-frittatas about 25 minutes, or until they are set and lightly browned on top.
- Serve hot, with a dollop of low-fat sour cream if desired.
This recipe created by Kalyn
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 206mgSodium: 437mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Mini-Frittatas with Mushrooms, Cottage Cheese, and Feta are loaded with high protein low-carb ingredients and would be approved for low-carb and Keto diets and all phases of the original South Beach Diet. They do have a generous amount of cheese, so if you’re following South Beach and actively trying to lose weight, I’d limit the serving size to one mini-frittata for a meal.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more meatless recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was posted in 2012. It was updated with new photos in 2018 and last updated with more information in 2021.