Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers
Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers cooks in the slow cooker in a few hours and only needs 25 minutes of prep time! And this amazing dinner is low-glycemic, gluten-free, and dairy-free, and freezes well!
If there’s one thing I’ve learned in 10+ years of food blogging, it’s that the photo can make or break a recipe! I made this completely delicious Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers in 2013 and even though I loved the recipe (and made it a few more times since then) I never felt like the original photo showed how tasty this dish really was. I’m so glad to finally have new photos to show off this recipe a little better!
If you’re someone who usually doesn’t like slow cooker recipes where you have to brown the ingredients before they go into the slow cooker, I hope I can still convince you to give this one a try. Seriously, this Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers was so easy and good. It only takes about 25 minutes to cut up and brown the sausage and chop the veggies and then it cooks for two hours in the slow cooker while you’re busy doing other things.
How to Make Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- I used my favorite Hot Turkey Italian Sausage; squeeze sausage out of the links and brown it while you chop up the green pepper and onion.
- Then put the sausage in the slow cooker and saute the green pepper and onion for 2-3 minutes before adding to the slow cooker.
- You’ll need one cup of Uncle Ben’s Brown Rice and 2 cups of chicken stock.
- Stir the rice and stock into the sausage, peppers, and onions that you’ve added to the slow cooker, along with the Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) or another all-purpose seasoning, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook on high for 2 hours and you’ll have perfect Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers.
- Garnish the Slow Cooker Spicy Brown Rice with Sausage and Peppers with sliced green onions (or parsley) if desired and serve!
More Ideas for Rice in the Slow Cooker:
Slow Cooker Spanish Rice ~ Taste and Tell
Slow Cooker Greek Rice ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Italian Rice ~ A Year of Slow Cooking
Spicy Slow Cooker Rice Casserole with Green Chiles and Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Casserole ~ The Perfect Pantry
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 2 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
- 19.5 oz. (5 links) hot turkey Italian Sausage (see notes)
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock (see notes)
- 1 cup Uncle Ben’s Brown Rice (see notes)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or other all-purpose seasoning blend)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (see notes)
- sliced green onions or chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat the 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a frying pan, squeeze the sausage out of the links, and brown the sausage well, breaking up with a turner and stirring until it’s brown on all sides. Put sausage into slow cooker.
- While sausage browns, finely chop the green bell pepper and onion.
- After you remove the sausage, add the last teaspoon of olive oil to the pan and saute the pepper and onion 2-3 minutes; then add to the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken stock, rice, Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), salt, and Cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Cook on high for 2 hours, or until rice is tender.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with sliced green onions or chopped fresh parsley to garnish if desired.
- This freezes well, so if you have a large slow cooker you might want to double the recipe.
I used my favorite Hot Turkey Italian Sausage, but you can use any Italian Sausage you prefer. I used a can of chicken broth and added water to make 2 cups. I'm a huge fan of Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) but use any all-purpose seasoning you have on hand. If you don't have Uncle Ben's Brown Rice (affiliate link) you can use other long-grain brown rice, but cooking time might vary. I used 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne, but my sister would have preferred it a little less spicy so adjust to your heat tolerance.
I used my favorite Crock-Pot 3.5 Quart Slow Cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe, but any slow cooker that’s about 3-4 quarts will work.
Recipe adapted from Crock-Pot 365 Year-Round Recipes. (affiliate link)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 564Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 227mgSodium: 2184mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 62g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Brown rice, turkey Italian Sausage, green peppers, and onion are all low-glycemic ingredients and this recipe is suitable for Phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet. For other carb-conscious eaters, the recipe has a lot of sausage, peppers, and onions for the amount of rice. If you want to make it lower in carbs, I’d double the amount of sausage and peppers and keep the amount of rice the same.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here to see Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!