Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Soup
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Soup is for everyone who loves Red Beans and Rice and would enjoy the same flavors in a soup! And you can make this tasty soup with cauliflower rice if you’d like a version with fewer carbs.
For years I’ve been a fan of Red Beans and Rice made in the slow cooker, and that recipe has been quite a hit on the blog. What inspired me to come up with a version of slow cooker red beans and rice in soup form was the discovery of Amylu Chicken Andouille Sausage at Costco, a product I’ll probably use now when I make the original red beans and rice recipe. Sadly the sausage didn’t show up at Costco in time for me to post this recipe for Mardi Gras, but these flavors always help me remember great times I’ve had in New Orleans, and love the spicy flavors that city is famous for.
When I shared some of this with my sister Pam she wasn’t sure if her family would like it, since some of them don’t like things too spicy, but halfway through dinner she texted me and said it was a hit. If you’re cooking for kids you might use a bit less of the spicy Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (affiliate link) though, and those who want more heat can add Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) at the table.
How to Make Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Soup:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Here’s the Amylu Chicken Andouille Sausage that inspired me to come up with the recipe!
- The sausage comes in packs of eight links, and they’re not too thick so I used all of one pack (20 oz.) in the soup. If you’re buying the regular grocery store pack with 4 links, you can certainly use less.
- I taught school with a woman from Louisiana who taught me to love Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, (affiliate link) but if you don’t have this brand any Creole seasoning will work. (I am not being paid to feature these products and these companies have no idea I am doing it!)
- I was using the Ninja Cooker (affiliate link), so I sauteed the onions, garlic, and spices right in the slow cooker, but you can definitely do this in a pan.
- I cut the sausage in half and then sliced it into half-moon pieces, but next time I might just go with round slices; take your pick!
- Put the onions, garlic, spices, cooked red beans, sliced sausage, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), and bay leave into the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- While the soup cooks, cook enough rice to have 2 cups cooked rice and a little more for adding at the table. (I used my favorite Zojirushi Rice Cooker (affiliate link) to cook the rice, but you can cook it on the stove too.) If you’d like a lower-carb version of this tasty soup, serve with cauliflower rice!
- Add the cooked rice and cook about 20-30 minutes more on high, adding a tiny bit more stock or water if you’d like a thinner soup.
- Serve hot, with additional rice and Green Tabasco Sauce to add at the table.
More Tasty Ideas with Rice and Beans:
Slow Cooker Beans and Legumes Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Black Bean and Rice Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Popeye’s Red Beans and Rice ~ CopyKat Recipes
Quick and Easy Black Beans and Rice ~ The Perfect Pantry
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 T finely minced garlic
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (Greek oregano preferred)
- 1 T Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, more or less to taste.
- two 15 oz. cans red beans (see notes)
- 8 links Amylu Chicken Andouille Sausage (see notes)
- 8 cups chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. Green Tabasco Sauce (or more if you want a lot of heat)
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups cooked white rice, plus more for serving if desired.
- Heat the oil in the bottom of the slow cooker (or in a pan if your slow cooker doesn’t brown), add the onion and saute until it’s starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, dried thyme, dried oregano and Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (affiliate link) and saute about 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to slow cooker if you’re sauteeing on the stove.
- Drain canned beans into a colander placed in the sink and rinse with cold water until no more foam appears, then let drain.
- When most of the water has drained off, transfer to the slow cooker.
- Cut the sausage into slices or half-moon slices and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the homemade chicken stock , Worcestershire sauce, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) and bay leaves.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- While the soup cooks, cook the rice using a rice cooker or according to package directions.
- When the soup has cooked about 4 hours (for high) or 7-8 hours (for low), stir in 2 cups cooked white rice.
- Add a little more water or chicken stock if the soup seems too thick and cook on high for 20-30 minutes more.
- Serve soup hot, with additional cooked rice and Green Tabascco Sauce to add at the table if desired.
Use about 3 cups of cooked red beans if you're not using canned beans. Use any Andouille Sausage you prefer; I used 20 oz. of sausage. Use about 4 1/2 cans of chicken broth if you don't have homemade chicken stock.
I used the 6 quart Ninja Cooker (affiliate link) to make this, but any slow cooker that’s 4.5 quarts or larger will work.
Recipe created by Kalyn and inspired by Amylu Chicken Andouille Sausage found at Costco!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 511Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 958mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 38g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
The use of rice and the beans in this Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Soup makes it unsuitable for low-carb diets, and it’s limited to Phase 2 or 3 for the original South Beach Diet, although I used Uncle Ben’s Converted Rice, which is a lower-glycemic type of white rice. It’s also important to use lower fat chicken (or turkey) sausage if you’re making this for South Beach. You could make this soup with cauliflower rice for a low-carb version, and I think it would be just as tasty but the soup will still have some carbs from the beans!
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!