Power Greens Egg Skillet
Power Greens Egg Skillet is a tasty one-pan low-carb and Keto breakfast with healthy greens, red bell pepper, red onion, basil, and cheese!
Easter is next weekend and eggs are on sale in supermarkets everywhere, and when eggs are plentiful and inexpensive, I want to urge you to make something fun using eggs. This Power Greens Egg Skillet is a cheesy egg dish that will be a hit with everyone who likes eggs, red peppers, and greens, so today I’m picking this for Friday Favorites where I feature the recipes I love and would make over and over! (If you like the idea of a cheesy one-pan egg dish but aren’t big on greens, you might like Mushroom Lover’s Egg Skillet with Spinach instead.)
This egg skillet that uses Power Greens is a breakfast idea inspired by a very old recipe called Cheryl’s Eggs with Red Pepper, Basil, and Cheese. (Use that link to see the printer-friendly version of the original recipe.) When we were cooking some old recipes to take new photos we planned to just make Cheryl’s Eggs to improve the pictures. But that day I had one of those 5 oz. containers of Power Greens in the fridge, and they led us down a different path. I’m definitely a fan of greens for breakfast, and when I got fixated on the combination of Power Greens with eggs, red pepper, basil, and cheese, this new recipe was the result.
This is pretty quick and easy to make and the leftover eggs reheated well, so I enjoyed it for breakfast for a few days after we came up with it. And I’m a big fan of the Power Greens mix, but you can use any type of fresh greens like spinach, kale, chard, or collards in this recipe. And if you’re not a fan of greens, try Cheryl’s Eggs without the greens!
What are Power Greens?
If you’re not familiar with Power Greens, they’re a blend of leafy greens sold already washed and ready to eat. I buy a Power Greens Blend from Costco that has baby chard, kale, and spinach, but there are other combinations as well, and power greens are also sometimes called Super Greens.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- red bell pepper
- red onion
- olive oil
- Dried Basil (affiliate link) (or use chopped fresh basil if you have some)
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), or use any all-purpose seasoning that’s good with eggs
- Power Greens Mix or other greens of your choice
- grated Mozzarella Cheese
Starting the recipe:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Chop up red bell pepper and red onion into pieces that are quite small.
- Use a large non-stick skillet for this recipe if you have one. Heat the olive oil and then cook red pepper and red onion over medium heat until they’re starting to soften.
- While veggies cook, chop the power greens coarsely.
- When red peppers and onions are barely softened, season with Dried Basil (affiliate link) and Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) or another seasoning blend that’s good with eggs.Add the Power Greens to the skillet and stir with the hot veggies to let them wilt.
Finishing the recipe:
- When veggies and greens are cooking, beat 12 eggs until whites and yolks are well-combined.
- Pour eggs over the greens and veggies mixture and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook the eggs 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times, until eggs are starting to look set.
- Then add 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese, and stir to combine with the eggs.
- Cook eggs about 3-4 minutes more, or until they’re done to your liking.
- Top eggs with the rest of the Monterey Jack cheese and serve hot!
I’d love this with sour cream and Green Tabasco Sauce to add at the table!
Make it a Meal:
If you want a more substantial breakfast, one of my Low-Carb High Fiber Savory Muffins with Parmesan and Green Onions would taste great with these eggs!
More Tasty Ideas with Greens and Eggs:
Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Sauteed Dandelion Greens and Eggs ~ A Beautiful Plate
Low-Carb Swiss Chard, Mozzarella, and Feta Egg Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Egg Florentine ~ The View from Great Island
Low-Carb Power Greens Breakfast Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Eggs with Kale and Leeks ~ Foolproof Living
Low-Carb Sausage, Kale, and Mozzarella Egg Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week! If you’re planning to reheat leftover eggs, be careful not to cook them too long initially.
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 tsp. dried basil (see notes)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use any all-purpose seasoning that's good with eggs)
- 1 5 oz. pkg. Power Greens Mix (see notes)
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese (see notes)
- Chop the red bell pepper and the red onion into pieces that are quite small.
- Select a large non-stick skillet for this recipe if you have one so that cleaning the pan won't be so difficult. Heat the olive oil and then cook the red pepper and red onion over medium heat until they're barely starting to soften, about 3 minutes. While veggies cook, coarsely chop the power greens.
- When red peppers and onions are barely softened, season with dried basil, and Spike Seasoning (or another seasoning blend that's good with eggs) and cook about 2 minutes more.
- Add the Power Greens to the skillet and stir the greens into the hot veggies to let them wilt for a few minutes.
- Beat the eggs until yolks and whites are well-combined.
- Pour eggs over the wilted greens and veggies mixture and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook the eggs for 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times, until eggs are starting to look set.
- When eggs are barely starting to set, add 1 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese, and stir to combine with the eggs.
- Cook eggs about 3-4 minutes more, or until they're done to your liking. Top eggs with the rest of the Monterey Jack cheese and serve hot!
You can use any combination of greens you prefer in this recipe. Use any white cheese that melts well if you don't have Mozzarella. If you have fresh basil, use about 1/4 cup chopped basil and add it before you add the cheese.
This recipe created by Kalyn and adapted from Cheryl's Eggs with Red Pepper, Basil, and Cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 296mgSodium: 432mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Power Greens Egg Skillet is a great dish for low-carb diet plans, and for any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes for more breakfast ideas like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.