Low-Carb Sausage, Kale, and Mozzarella Egg Bake
You can use any sausage or greens you prefer for this tasty Low-Carb Sausage, Kale, and Mozzarella Egg Bake. The recipe is also Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet friendly. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
A few years ago I got infatuated with Sabatino’s Smoked Mozzarella Chicken Sausage with Artichoke and Garlic, and I used them in a variety of dishes, and even featured them as one of my Kalyn’s Kitchen Picks where I give a shout-out to the products I buy over and over. Then they disappeared from Costco for a while and I couldn’t find them anywhere. (Don’t you hate it when that happens?)
When I recently spotted them again at Costco, I bought a few packages for the freezer, and when I made this Sausage, Kale, and Mozzarella Egg Bake using these tasty sausages, I couldn’t resist snapping some new photos to replace the original ones that I was never that crazy about. This type of recipe that I call an “egg bake” is a little different than the Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles that I often make for breakfast; egg bakes have more veggies, meat, and cheese, with just enough egg to hold it together.
I love this combination with the Sabatino’s chicken sausage and kale, but you can use any combination of sausage and kale that appeals to you in a recipe like this. And if you’d like a little bit more egg, you can certainly make that change as well! (And just in case anyone is wondering, Sabatinos has not paid me to feature their sausage, and I’m pretty sure they don’t even know I’m alive.)
Cut the sausage in half lengthwise, and then into thick slices. Brown slices in a frying pan, then add them to the casserole dish that you’ve sprayed with olive oil or non-stick spray.
Add a little more oil to the same frying pan and saute the baby kale (or chopped kale) just until it’s started to wilt. Layer the wilted kale, Mozzarella, and sliced green onions over the sausage, add the beaten eggs, stir, season with salt and pepper, and bake at 375F/190C for 30-35 minutes, or until it’s done to your liking.
Serve hot, with a dollop of sour cream to add at the table if desired. This will keep in the fridge for about a week and can be reheated in a microwave or in a pan on the stove.
More Egg Bakes or Egg Casseroles You Might Like:
Egg Casserole with Italian Cheeses, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Fresh Herbs ~ The Perfect Pantry
Kale and Feta Breakfast Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Veggie Egg Casserole ~ Budget Bytes
Swiss Chard, Mozzarella, and Feta Egg Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Sausage, Kale, and Mozzarella Egg Bake
You can use any sausage or greens you prefer for this tasty Low-Carb Sausage, Kale, and Mozzarella Egg Bake.
- 4 links (12 oz. total) pre-cooked chicken-garlic sausage or garlicky pork sausage (see notes)
- 1 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 cups (packed) baby kale leaves (or you can use thinly sliced regular kale)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (optional, or use less if you’re not a green onion fan like I am)
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella (use low-fat or full-fat, whichever you prefer
- 8 eggs, beaten (or more if your pan is a little bigger)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (more or less to taste, or use any type of all-purpose seasoning blend)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- sour cream for serving (optional)
- Heat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a 9″x12″ casserole dish with non-stick spray. (The dish can be slightly smaller too, which will give a thicker result. If your dish is bigger than this, I’d use a couple more eggs.)
- Cut the sausage in half lengthwise, and then slice into half-moons about 3/8 inch thick.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the sausage until it’s well-browned. Put browned sausage in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Put the second teaspoon of oil into the same pan and saute the baby kale just until it starts to wilt, about 2 minutes. (If you’re not using baby kale this may take a minute or two longer.)
- Put the wilted kale over the sausage in the casserole dish. Sprinkle green onions and grated mozzarella over the kale, season with Spike Seasoning and black pepper, and pour the eggs over.
- Use a fork to gently “stir” so that all the ingredients are coated with egg.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, depending on how browned you like it.
- Serve hot, with a dollop of low-fat sour cream on top if desired.
I used Sabatino’s Smoked Mozzarella Chicken Sausage with Artichoke and Garlic, but you can use any sausage with good flavor. Keto or low-carb dieters may prefer pork sausage for this recipe.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Sausage, Kale, and Mozzarella Egg Bake is perfect for any low-carb or low-glycemic eating plan. As long as it’s made with low-fat chicken or turkey sausage (with less than 10% fat) and low-fat mozzarella, this type of egg dish is a great low-carb breakfast, lunch, or dinner dish for any phase of the South Beach Diet. Other low-carb diets may prefer full-fat cheese and pork sausage.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.