Low-Carb Swiss Chard, Mozzarella, and Feta Egg Bake
This Low-Carb Swiss Chard, Mozzarella, and Feta Egg Bake is a delicious way to start the day with a healthy serving of vegetables; and this delicious breakfast dish is low-carb, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet friendly. Make this on the weekend and reheat on a work-day morning!
Whether you’re trying to lose weight or just trying to eat a healthy diet, you can never go wrong by eating more vegetables. A few years ago I realized one way to up your daily intake of veggies was by incorporating vegetables into breakfast dishes, and since then I’ve come up with lots of different breakfast ideas that involve vegetables.
You can use vegetables in breakfast casseroles or egg muffins, but lately I’ve been fond of a slightly different type of breakfast dish that I call an egg bake. This Low-Carb Swiss Chard, Mozzarella, and Feta Egg Bake has lots of Swiss chard with just enough egg to hold it together, and it’s a delicious way to use Swiss chard.
I’m spotlighting this easy recipe for Five Ingredient Fridays, hope you enjoy! If you’re looking for easy recipes, there are a lot more Five Ingredients recipes on the blog.
Stack up the chard leaves and thickly slice them, then give them a good wash in the salad spinner if you have garden chard. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add the chard leaves all at once, and stir-fry until the chard is wilted and barely tender. Here’s how the chard looks after it cooks down. This only takes 2-3 minutes, so don’t overcook.
Put the barely-sauteed chard into a casserole dish that’s 8 inches by 11.5 inches. Sprinkle with the mozzarella, crumbled Feta and some sliced green onion. Pour over 8 beaten eggs, seasoned with Spike Seasoning if desired. I like to use a fork to gently “stir” so the eggs are well distributed. It will look like a lot of vegetables for the amount of egg, but trust me!
Bake about 35 minutes at 375F/190C, or until the egg bake is set and barely starting to brown. Serve hot, with a dollop of low-fat sour cream if desired.
More Ideas with Swiss Chard and Eggs:
Swiss Chard and Goat Cheese Custard Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Eggs Nested in Sauteed Chard and Mushrooms from Simply Recipes
Swiss Chard and Mushroom Squares from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Swiss Chard, Pea Shoot, and Mushroom Rice Bowls with Runny Eggs from Sarah’s Cucina Bella
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Swiss Chard, Mozzarella, and Feta Egg Bake
This Low-Carb Swiss Chard, Mozzarella, and Feta Egg Bake is a delicious way to start the day with a healthy serving of vegetables.
- 8-10 oz. Swiss chard leaves, sliced into thick ribbons
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil (depending on your pan)
- 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (or more if you’re a green onion fan)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional but recommended; if you don’t have Spike can substitute another all purpose seasoning blend)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a 8 x 11.5 glass casserole dish with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Cut stems off the chard leaves and discard stems. Stack up the leaves in a pile and cut the chard into ribbons about 1 inch wide. (If your chard is from the garden, give it a good wash in the salad spinner and spin dry.)
- Heat olive oil in a heavy non-stick frying pan, add the chard ribbons all at once, and cook while stirring until the chard has all wilted and slightly softened. This only takes about 2-3 minutes; the chard will finish cooking in the oven.
- Layer wilted chard, Mozzarella cheese, and Feta cheese in the bottom of the casserole dish and sprinkle with green onions.
- Beat the eggs with the Spike Seasoning, salt, and pepper and pour over the chard/cheese mixture. (I take a fork and gently “stir” at this point to be sure all the chard/cheese mixture is coated with egg.)
- Bake about 35 minutes, or until the egg bake is set and starting to lightly brown.
- Serve hot, with a dollop of low-fat sour cream if desired.
This will keep in the fridge for at least a week and can be quickly reheated in the microwave.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
South Beach Diet / Low-Carb Diet Suggestions:
With low-carb and low-glycemic ingredients like eggs, Swiss chard, Mozzarella, and Feta, this Low-Carb Swiss Chard, Mozzarella, and Feta Egg Bake would be good for all low-carb and low-glycemic diet, including any phase of the South Beach Diet. South Beach would recommend low-carb cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.